RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Thinking of upgrading to Diesel..... HELP!!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Thinking of upgrading to Diesel..... HELP!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
Saz

Windsor, Co

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/11 10:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been thinking of trading my current TV in on a 11 or 12 F-350 diesel. My truck (in signature) IS a GREAT machine, I love how it looks, drives and is the only vehicle I have ever bought new. The only thing is this- I have been on the road a lot with my TT and I now have 2 ATV's on a rack in the bed of the truck (about 1500 lbs) on top of towing my TT. My mileage hasn't dropped much at all which really surprised me, but I am getting a litte concerned with the weight. The tongue is about 750lbs, and with the airbags I was having to run about 55 lbs to level the truck. Now I am running 95lbs to level. It rides really well loaded like this.

My other concern is that the 5.4 is feeling a little under powered on the really steep grades. My concern is will I really net that much by going to a diesel? I know that I will get a big smile every time I hit the skinny pedal, but the maintenance and fuel costs are a bit higher. Trading up will do about $25K over my trade value, and my thinking is that I can buy a $%^&load of gas for 25K.

I still LOVE my truck vs shiny new lots of power????

New Rig- 2011 Ram 3500 DRW CC 4X4, 6.7L Cummins, auto, 3.73's, Mini Maxx tuned by Draconian Diesel.... RaceME for sale....
NEW TRAILER 2013 36' Forest River XLR Hyperlite toy hauler
TRADED 07 Timberlodge 30 SKY- too many mods to list....

johnrbd

San Joaquin Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/11 11:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the diesel. Then come back here in a yr and let us know if you netted enough. Posting a before and after photo of you smile wouldn't hurt. I'm guessing you will feel like you just took a couple of those "blue" pills!

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/11 12:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would go over and check on opinions in the Ford Truck forum.

Me I'm not happy with the price, requirement for using DEF (and what happens if you dump DEF in the fuel) and the costs for repair.

Now the new engine appears to be 100% better then the ol 6.0 "replacement" and even better then the 6.4. But it still early (IMO) to know for certain.

But then I think the same is true of the new big-block gasser

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/11 01:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Consider how many minutes a trip you actually spend going up a mountain grade, and lack a little horsepower? Really worth $25,000 to upgrade to save a couple of minutes per trip?

I have a 1997 Ford motorhome with a 460" engine, 225 rated horsepower, some 75 less than your 5.4L engine. I make it up the hills. Bought this RV new, it only has about 42,000 miles on it, and don't plan on trading it in soon. Changing to a diesel pusher means getting a much larger engine, heavier chassis, and much more expensive oil changes.

And I would still not get a lot better mileage by changing to a DP, because they are so much heavier, than a gas motorhome, and therefore would not get much better mileage. And friends that have a 40' DP are passed quickly by another friend with a 27' class C ford that has a beefed up 350 - 400 HP 460" engine that has been bored 0.030 over, high performance cam, pistons, balanced, ported, and so powerful that the engine tore the center of the flywheel out of the automatic transmission.

I say stick with the 5.4L at least another winter. Consider this winter how many times you might not get the diesel started in -30 weather. If people in your area have def tanks that freeze solid.

Remember how easy it is to start a gas engine - compared to a diesel. Next spring, you will have more experiance in diesels, as you can ask your buddies with them all winter "Wheres your diesel truck" and you will find most of them put away for the winter in your area. But maybe not - I really don't know for sure.

For right now, I don't expect you will be taking enough trips to justify buying your new diesel truck between now and winter.

Think about it over the winter. I think you will find the disadvantages of a diesel are a lot. That is why Ford came out with the turbocharged 3.5L F-150 instead of putting in a diesel in that truck. It would have made the Diesel F-150 about $5,000 - $7,500 more expensive than a gas truck, and probably about 400 - 450 pounds heavier. This might have even brough the GVWR above 8,500 pounds, effectively making the truck a 3/4 ton by default.

When Ford decided to produce the F-150 turbo direct injection gas engine, they found that surveys indicated that people wanted the fuel mileage of a diesel, startability of a gas engine, quietness of a gas engine, torque from a low RPM like a diesel, and of course less money!

Your next F-250 or F-350 in a few years might have a V8 turbocharged direct injection engine. Something about 5 liters will be large enough to produce well over 400 HP. Might even be smaller engine, such as the 4.6L? They just need to beef up that crankshaft to handle the 500 HP and 500 foot pounds of torque after the "tuners" get done with it.

Fred.

Howaboutnow

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/11 03:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't beleive you have provided the total weight of your TT loaded so it is hard to give a good recomendation. But if you are only noticing lack of adequate power on steep grades I would hesitate to recomend a diesel. The advantage for a diesel shows up primarily in torque and slightly better mileage. But... there are quite a few disadvantages such as: Higher initial cost, higher base weight, higher maintenance costs and higher fuel costs. One positive is higher retained value but not enough to pay for all the increased maintenace costs.
If you have a total GVWR trailer or 5th wheel of 12,000 lbs on up then a diesel is required IMHO.

However, I suspect you can use similar logic as I did when selecting what rear end ratio I wanted on the truck. Make an informed guess of how much of your total mileage would be climbing steep grades. In my case is was much less than 10% closer to 5%. Over 90% of my mileage is empty. I therefore selected a 3.73:1 rear end ratio rather than a 4.10:1 ratio. I get slightly better gas mileage on relatively flat land and it maybe takes me a minute or two more on a steep climb. If it tkes me a minute or two longer to get somewhere I don't really care, I'm retired. A similar kind of thinking would go into engine selection as well.

So make a best shot estimate of how much actual time you are pulling steep slopes vs all other driving and then you will be able to make a more informed decision.

$100.00 oil changes can get expensive if done at 3,000 to 5,000 mile intervals.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/11 04:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't have a diesal, just responding to winter use of them. I know no one who parks their diesal for the winter. What are the problems with DEF? Larger trucks have been using it for years, putting DEF in the fuel tank? Yea it has happened, but antifreeze has also been put into the windshield resivior and vice-versa, often enough to list it as a detriment or problem, I don't think so.

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/11 04:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I loved my 05 CTD!!!! But I will not buy a new diesel. The EPA has ruined their mpg's.

'16 FORD F250 6.2. Air Bags

'16 Arctic Fox 25R. Xantrex 2000 inverter/charger, four Trojan 6 volts, 450 watts solar.

cinrock

Lake Wylie, SC

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/11 04:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And I don't drive mine in the summer, the heat might melt it. Sheesh!!!

'05 F-350 Lariat DRW 6.0 PSD
'11 831QBSS Flagstaff Classic Signature Series
Held on by a Reese Dual Cam HP

Paul Clancy

BC Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/11 05:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're the only one who knows if it's worth it to YOU. It was worth it to me. I tow mountains every trip and there is a need for grade ability gassers don't have especially with larger trailers. If I rarely encountered mountains I might feel differently. BTW no diesels being put away for the winter here - any more than gas - don't really get that comment. Ice road truckers seem to make them work. EXtra maint is a fuel filter change - not a huge deal.

garysol

Kalamazoo Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/11 05:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

~DJ~ wrote:

I loved my 05 CTD!!!! But I will not buy a new diesel. The EPA has ruined their mpg's.

And I keep hearing this yet my bone stock 08 CTD consistently returns well over 20mpg on the highway at 65mph and 16ish around town. I have hand checked the mileage and it is accurate. Maybe my truck is a freak but I kind of doubt it.

2016 Heritage Glen 263RL
2017 Ram 2500 6.4

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Thinking of upgrading to Diesel..... HELP!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS