RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: Rio Hondo?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Rio Hondo?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
JeffreyLee

Racine, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/11 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm heading to the RGV for the 1st time this winter. Probably late January/early February through March. I'd like an area that's less population and traffic congested and I don't need recreational frills offered at many higher end resorts. I looked at Port Isabel but the spring break makes that look like a place I shouldn't be living at in mid-March. I would like to visit it though. Any advice from experienced RGVers?

pawatt

Brainerd MN / Palmview TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/11 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't worry about spring break in Port Isabel, they all hang out on the beach on South Padre Island. They really are not a problem except that traffic going over the bridge can get heavy. Most of the spring break activity is in the evening & at night & most of us older folks are settled in the rv parks by then. They are mostly a good bunch of kids but they do like to party, might even be fun to check it all out. Not much for nice RV Parks in Port Isabel except the one on the Bay, can't remember the name. You could even try Isla Blanca on the Island if you like the beach & fishing.

Old Chad

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/11 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a few around Harlingen that may suit you...and the Rio Hondo heading... that is out in now where and there is absolutely nothing there to do except fish....

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/11 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a Snowbird, but I grew up in the Harlingen area, my mom & her folks moved to Rio Hondo before it was named Rio Hondo, therefore I'll chime in without having any recent experiences down in the Valley.

I do not know of any RV parks in Rio Hondo. But here are two listed close to there....RV Park Reviews. You may expand the search by using the Cities with RV Parks feature on the Right, such as: La Feria, which is west of Harlingen & was a very small town when I was in high school. But not as close to the Gulf.

These have a Rio Hondo address as well: Twin Palms RV Resort .... and ..... Hummingbird Cove RV Park

and ..... Seaway Village @ Arroyo City You may have found these already, but just in case.

Information About the Arroyo Colorado & Lower Laguna Madre. You could email Weldon Charters & ask them about the RV parks in the Rio Hondo Area. (See Email Address at bottom of the last link) You may tell them, DesertHawk, Mona's Brother gave you their name.

Maybe these old posts will help you down there:
RGV -Harlingen/Port Isabel Plus >>>>>> More on the Valley with some repeats >>>>>> Ditto but Expanded

Closer to the Gulf you are, the more breeze you will have, more humid & more likely to have rust issues, perhaps cooler & perhaps less dust....not as many plowed fields I believe. Farther from the Gulf, especially up by McAllen, less humid, not sure about breeze, but could have dust from fields at times and maybe less rust issues.

* This post was last edited 10/13/11 06:49pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

WTTCS

freedom , U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/11 11:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Port Isabel is a great place for fishermen. I personally would not classify it as a snowbird destination as most there are for the fish. But then again, I fish.

Park center is the only rv park worth talking about and it is ok especially if you do fish.

1997 chev crew cab 454, 5 sp. 4.10

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Rio Hondo?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.