|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dodge truck question please

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
maxwell11

Hazel, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/11 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2500 dodge diesel and its a great truck,
but having that word "Powerwagon" across my hood would look great.

one of our local dodge dealers had a new powerwagon on his lot, it sure looked good.

you would be the man with a "powerwagon"

would not want to think about mpg with that motor and differential, but who cares if you look cool.

wolfcat1

Vidor, Tx.

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/11 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the Dodge Outdoorsman??
thanks, wolfie

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/11 05:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pick up with built in side tool boxes.

2007 Toyota Tundra DC
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider
Looking for a 5th wheel toyhauler

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/11 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Enjoyed the PW pics [emoticon] I've driven 4X4 diesel pickups off road sense 93. The Power Wagon is better off with a gasoline engine. The extra weight of the diesel is detrimental in most off road situations. Have fun.

2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

GOrsted

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/11 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfcat1 wrote:

What are the main differences between a Dodge 3/4 ton truck and a Power Wagon? I do not know anything about Dodge, just doing research...I have checked the history threads and looked at the Dodge web site...Would like to have some current info.. Any years better than others...I am interested in late models...will be buying used..
Thank you for your time,
wolfie

A Power Wagon sits about 2" taller than a regular 2500 4x4, 12,000lb Warn winch w/mounting brace between framerails, electronic disconnecting swaybar(for awsome articulation), electronic locking differentials front & rear(for true 4-wheel drive), the rear differential is limited slip when not locked, tow pkg, additional and thicker skidplates, forged one piece Alcoa rims w/internal beadlock lips which allow tires to be aired down to 10 PSI, larger diameter(one ton) axleshaft in rear, 160 amp alt, HD battery, 4.56 gears, low range electronic recalibration of gas pedal sensitivity which allows very precise throttle response in low range, additional but thinner single stage leafs in rear spring pack(for increased and uniform articulation), Bilstein shocks, 32.7" BFG All-Terrain tires.

Only engine available is the 5.7L Hemi. Early years were available with a 6-speed manual or 5-speed automatic (2005 to 2008 I believe). Recently they are only available with the automatic which has been the 545RFE until the current 2012 model year which introduced the 6-speed automatic. Early years were available as a regular cab/long bed or a quad cab/short bed (again 2005 to 2008 I believe). 2009 was available only as a quad cab/short bed. The current 4Gs are only available as a crew cab/short bed.

Power Wagons are not the tow monsters the Cummins powered 2500/3500s are, but they are still built off a 2500 platform and have respectable towing abilities if you stay within their rated capacities.

For towing purposes, I would avoid the 2005 model year. It did not have the ability to lock out fourth gear. The 2009 model year had a boost in the horsepower and torque output of the 5.7L Hemi. The 4Gs introduced in 2010 have a decreased payload capacity. It was reduced to 1780 from 2167 for a 3G quad cab/short bed.

If you need the payload capacity, a 2009 3G would be the best choice for towing. It has the increased output Hemi and still has the higher payload capacity. If payload is not an issue for what you plan on towing, the 4G crew cabs have a larger back seat, but at the expense of a longer wheelbase and increased turning radius. The 2012 with the new 6-speed should offer better towing performance with improved spacing between the gear ratios. However the reduced payload pretty well rules it out for me with my current fifth wheel.

The Power Wagon is an incredible jack-of-all-trades, master-of-one vehicle!

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Sorry for the long post, but the topic was Power Wagons and it was my opportunity to show off! [emoticon]

Glenn (Dad) & Beth (Mom)
David & Audra (the twins - 12 YO)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (2500) 5.7 Hemi, auto, 4.56

just me

Salt Lake City Utah USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/11 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You ask why a DIESEL engine is not offered? The diesel is to heavy at around a Thousand lb.
This question was ask of the Dodge engineers a year ago on the TDR, this was there answer.

95 Dodge CC #5 TST plate Flame Red/Silver
not totaly stock
2007 fiver
Tag Ma-haul has been suggested for a name but now The Shoe box

Colorado71

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/11 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice pics GOrsted!

GOrsted

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/11 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few pics of Power Wagons in action. All are taken from DodgeTalk.com:

[image]
RustyPW08

[image]
Yellomantis

[image]
danny.p.watts

[image]
ColinSiR

[image]
[image]
[image]
powderwagon

GOrsted

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/11 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Colorado71 wrote:

Nice pics GOrsted!

Thank you.

just me wrote:

You ask why a DIESEL engine is not offered? The diesel is to heavy at around a Thousand lb.
This question was ask of the Dodge engineers a year ago on the TDR, this was there answer.

This question has been asked many times and it appears there are a number of obstacles to over come in order to put a diesel (at least the 6.7L Cummins) in a Power Wagon. It was at least considered as there was a prototype CTD Power Wagon being tried out at Moab in 2008. 1) One of the issues is, as mentioned, the weight. 2) Another is the inter cooler for the CTD interferes with the winch mount location and the front stabilizer bar disconnect. 3) The tremendous torque of the CTD would lend to driveline equipment breaks when the differentials were locked ($$$ major warranty claims). 4) The turbo spooling up made precise throttle recalibrations difficult/impossible for low range throttle response. 5) The location of the oil pick up in the CTD would allow for engine oil starvation at a far lesser degree than the Hemi.

Protoype diesel Power Wagon:
http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Mopar-200........ngler,-Grand-Cherokee-and-Dodge-Ram.html

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

wolfcat1

Vidor, Tx.

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/11 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GO,
thank you so much for the info, never been a Dodge guy, but I really like what I have seen about the Power Wagon...makes me really want one bad, I think it might be the one...Would you please tell me more about the electronic disconnecting swaybar...I don't understand its function? Do you have any pics of your trucks interior? Would it pull a 8000 pound travel trailer safely in the mountains?
Does back seat fold flat or out of the way? Our two dogs travel with us, and they are not small kidz...thanks again for the awesome pics, I think you might have a Power Wagon convert on your hands..[emoticon]
Wolfie

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dodge truck question please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS