RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Palimino Pop up vs others???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Palimino Pop up vs others???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Dagwood_55

Atkins, Ar

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/11 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at a new Palimino pop up TC yesterday. It was for a LWB, had a shower and tolet, don't know if it was cassette or not. Roof air, hand crank jacks.

Anyways, looked OK, if not a little basic. But the price was $11K ish, for a brand new one and mounted.

Why are these new campers so much cheaper than others?? Even a used Hallmark/Outfitter is more than that. Are they build that much better?? And why??

Thanks

Huckleby

Medford, WI

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/11 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have looked at several other brands and I currently own a Palomino. Is there a difference? Absolutely. With no disrespect towards Palomino, they cater to people who cannot afford the higher end campers, or people who are just getting into camping and don't want the big investment. Palomino is economy. All you have to do to see this is study the construction of them.

1992 Salem by Cobra 21F Fifth Wheel
Reese Classic 15K Hitch
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab shortbox
5.3 liter, Volant cold air intake & headers

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/11 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Palomino is a company that has been building RV's continually since 1968. In 2002 Forest River (Part of Bershire Hathaway/Warren Buffet) the 2nd Largest RV Company in the World) bought them and infused more money into the Company. And their buying power brought new life to the company. Palomino is ran as a seperate division of Forest River, with seperate management, some of which were there with Palomino for years.

They can build RV's such as the Palomino Real Lites and Bronco's to be inexpensive, entry level pop-up truck campers, but while the quality is fine, and the ammenities are certainly not going to be up there with the other brands of Pop-top campers like Alaskan, Camp-Lite, Four Wheel, Hallmark, North Star's and Phoenix pop-up campers! But again the Palomino ain't going to cost as much either!

Not a lot of frills, a long list of options and built to a lean price point. As long as you know that going into it, you'll be fine with the Palomino.

Good luck!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. ">

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/11 11:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Even a used Hallmark/Outfitter is more than that. Are they build that much better?? And why??

I was just reading through Palomino website; the Bronco Model in particular. They don't give much if any information on the structure (shell & roof construction) other than a single term, "laminated", and "steel floor support". Laminated what to what? And, most importantly, how? There is no technical data (like on Outfitter's site, for example) detailing (in excruciating minutia) every part of the camper shell, and precisely what the components are.

In concluding, it is really impossible to attempt a scientific analysis of the Palomino truck camper, in terms of it's construction! So, there is absolutely no way to answer your question (unless someone here has taken a new unit apart, and examined every part, and the methodology behind its manufacture).

Good luck on your truck camper hunting,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

ecoast

NW NJ's Highlands

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/11 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

new, used, $1000 or $10000+

-all the same when I climb into my berth and close my eyes... ymmv

07 5.9 CTD & 2000 Northstar Laredo TC towing 87 Samurai ORV on dual axle trailer

big whitey

raleigh,nc

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/11 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as always cheap price = cheap quality,SIGH. the build quality of these units is so poor that i would prefer a quality used brand in lieu of a new Palomino pop up.no offense intended to the mfg or past/present owners as i had one of equal or worse build quality(STARCRAFT),never again.

niftypkg

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/11 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much quality can one put in a light weight TC? Is the skin a heavier gauge?
Same furnace; same water heater;same thetford;same A/C same Bargham. Better carpet? Better windows? Better upholistry So what are you paying for? More important: Is the roof one piece;no leaks? What is the guarrantee and what is the reputation for service? Is that worth another 10G?

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/11 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The dealer where I just bought my used SunLite just started carrying Palomino Broncos. The sales guy was pushing them pretty hard. For only a few more $1000 you could have a brand new one.

I did not like it as it did not have it's own battery. It was wired direct to the truck battery. I suppose you could rig it with it's own battery but for what? Another $500?

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

ksc8850

Brunswick, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/11 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Real Lite SS-1608 I had did have a battery...the thermostat wasn't level and I agree, the quality control wasn't what I would have expected, but it did not leak and was quite comfortable....

I bought a bigger truck and realized I wanted to step in the back and go to bed...Hello Hardside! I upgraded to another Real Lite...same issues but is still watertight and even more comfortable!

Ram 3500 DRW CC, w/ Torklift tiedowns, SuperHitch, StableLoads, FastGuns, Airlift Bags and Wireless Compressor and Rancho 9000XLs. Real Lite HS-1810 TC. Starcraft 18' SuperFisherman Fishing Boat.

big whitey

raleigh,nc

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/11 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

niftypkg wrote:

How much quality can one put in a light weight TC? Is the skin a heavier gauge?
Same furnace; same water heater;same thetford;same A/C same Bargham. Better carpet? Better windows? Better upholistry So what are you paying for? More important: Is the roof one piece;no leaks? What is the guarrantee and what is the reputation for service? Is that worth another 10G?

good point!! however i for one would gladly pay 5k more for one that would at least make it home before leaking,the last two which i purchased new did not and still leaked when i got rid of them.i know wishful thinking.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Palimino Pop up vs others???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.