RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Palimino Pop up vs others???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Palimino Pop up vs others???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
niftypkg

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/11 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whity, good point but a lot of upper crust TC's leak also and you do have to service the caulking! I have seen a few and they do look good. Mine is a pop-up that must fit in the garage so I am limited on luxury living.

big whitey

raleigh,nc

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/11 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

niftypkg wrote:

Whity, good point but a lot of upper crust TC's leak also and you do have to service the caulking! I have seen a few and they do look good. Mine is a pop-up that must fit in the garage so I am limited on luxury living.

agreed ,but you shouldn't have to "SERVICE THE CAULKING" on any of them before you even get home with it asuming they are new as my last two leakers were.one was a pop up (cheapo) the other was a hardside and more expensive, but not top end.on the way home with both of them i was caught in the rain and both of them leaked.

Bigfootchevy

Bancroft, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/11 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a old saying, you get what you pay for. I don't think truck campers are any different. I have a friend that has a Palomino and he has had no problems at all with it.

Paul

niftypkg

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/11 09:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK Whity. I'd be pissed if a new one leaked on the way home from the dealer. In the end it depends on quality control. Which probably is not allocated much money in the factory. Today one has to consider if the factory will be there next week. I have heard to many horror stories about high dollar trailers and fifth wheels. Whatever, better be handy if camping is your passion.

MAV 8801

MONT CLARE PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/11 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been happy with mine..(hard side) and if more information is needed about construction see the Factory Tour at Truck Camping Magazine..P.S.. I sell very high-end Luxury cars and sometimes they still leak..Spending less doesn't mean junk..

2011 Palomino Maverick 8801, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Duramax/Allison, Timbrens, Bilsteins, Michelin LTX M/S2, Hypertech programer & Honda Eu2000

big whitey

raleigh,nc

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/11 02:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nifty you are so right about being handy if you own any type of RV and sometimes even that isn't enough.yes i was pissed when they both leaked on the way home but what do you do,nature of the beast and the price you pay to participate in the life style. [emoticon]

Murgatroid

Nevada City, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/11 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem I have with the Palomino pop-up design is the rear door. They have a panel on the back that makes the door a full size one, which sounds great in theory. The big drawback with that is that there is nothing that ties the side of the camper together in the back. Think of an open box, upside down with the opening facing up, with a cutout on one end. It will be a bit flimsy. On the other hand, there do seem to be a lot of happy Palomino owners, so maybe my fears are unfounded!

For the money, I think Northstar pop-up campers are a great bang for the buck. That's what I was going to buy, but then Outfitter had a good sale at the time that allowed to to get into one of those for just a little more money. I do like the Outfitters and Hallmarks, but they are pricey!

-steve

2009 Northern Lite 9.6Q Classic
2012 Cyclone 300C
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB CTD 2WD for towing
2004 Ford F250 ExCab LB P/S 4WD for hauling

diver110

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/11 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at an EZ Lite today. They are built in So CA. About the same price. Also very basic. Seemed decent, though.

RZAR66

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/11 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

diver110 wrote:

I looked at an EZ Lite today. They are built in So CA. About the same price. Also very basic. Seemed decent, though.

I was just at the place that made EZ Lite the other day. They also sell used RV's. They make pop-ups and hard sided campers. The owner was showing me a new hard side that they were building. They are located in El Cajon, CA.

1995 Ford F-350 DRW 7.5
2014 Lance 1050S

diver110

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/11 09:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A comparably sized Hallmark is maybe twice the cost of a Palamino. I assume there is a substantial qualitative difference. What I am not clear on is where that difference is and when it is relevant, though I assume a heavy user cares more than a light user.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Palimino Pop up vs others???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.