|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> My Unreliable Tiffin

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
oneolddog

Vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/11 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DanTheRVMan wrote:

spitfirepete wrote:

Those of you who want an education on Tiffin only need read the forum posts on the Tiffin RV Network.

I agree it is a good website

But ANY brand specific forum is going to be VERY biased. It is the nature of the beast. Same is true of cars or anything else. If you went to a chevy corvette site would you expect to see a lot of comments suggesting it was a stupid purchase we should have bought a Porsche (visa versa at a Porsche site?)

You can learn a lot about current issues at a brand specific site but expect a LOT of bias as well.

DanTheRVman:

When I was looking to buy I only heard the positive bias towards Tiffin on the Tiffin site and others. I find that now you will hear the good and the bad on the Tiffin site and there is a real balance. I really like the fact that a lot of owners are now not sugar coating everything and they are what is going to create positive change at Tiffin.

Adam

2009 Allegro Bus 36QSP (Sold March 2011)

DanTheRVMan

fl

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/11 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PhotobugBev wrote:

To prove that this is a subjective forum, just read the post about LazyDays being a great place! LOL!! When my friend bought his used 2005 Allegro Bus in 2009, we were there over a month because LazyDay's was supposed to do a "pre-purchase" inspection sheet that turned out to be a "post-purchase" inspection by US. They didn't do ANY inspection at all and we found things from as minor as electrical connections that didn't work on light sockets to the TV/stereo system not working to bay doors that wouldn't stay shut. They removed our no-maintenance batteries and replaced them with cheap batteries without our permission and they were perfectly FINE. AND they had put the wrong coolant in the diesel. We refused to give up the Allegro Bay until everything was repaired. And they pushed and pushed and pushed us to leave. We saw a lot of people leave and turn right around and come back. Bottom line - your opinion is based solely on your experience. My experience with Tiffin has been positive. My experience with LazyDays negative. On the upside, I met a lot of nice folks that were sitting there for months waiting on repairs on their newly purchased used rigs.

To be fair Tiffin is not a questionable used MH sales outfit.

Tiffin will try to fix your MH in Red Bay on Tiffins schedule. That is better than many.

Dan
Tiffin Phaeton
Allegro Red 36ft Sold

DanTheRVMan

fl

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/11 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ault wrote:

If my issues continue past the 1 year mark this quarter million dollar Phaeton will be my 1st and last Tiffin. A quarter million is a H>>> of a lot of money to have so many problems. If you love Tiffin that much call me and I will sell you one to love.

I do not know your issue. The OP had tile issues which tiffin tried to fix and apparently did not work during the warranty period.

I think tiffin tries to resolve most problems for most owners. I think it just becomes a business decision on some cosmetic issues and tiffin wants most people happy, but it does not make business sense to make everybody happy. In that respect I do not think tiffin is different than other manufacturers.

The other misconception recently mentioned is the Allegro Bus is not made to a higher quality than Tiffins other products. The same workers use many similar parts on the same assembly line to build a "Tiffin" quality coach. for better or worse. The Allegro Bus has better stuff going into it, it is not made better than a phaeton or a red. It really comes down to the luck of the draw on how well your coach was manufactured. It would be nice if it was more consistent, but it is not. Again this is similar to other MHs at this price point.

I wish I knew which brand was built consistently the best, but I do not. I do know Tiffin will try to fix it in Red Bay on their schedule assuming you have the time and patience.

PhotobugBev

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/11 12:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dan - I was supporting Tiffin. It wasn't Tiffin's fault that LazyDays didn't do their job and check out the used Allegro bus before wanting us to take delivery. The problems were things caused by wear and tear from the previous owners and their lack of consistency in just doing general maintenance on their rig. When a used unit comes in, it's been at the mercy of the previous owners and Tiffin can't control how people take care of their rigs. LazyDays has a reputation for not doing their pre-delivery inspections on used rigs. I'd never buy another rig from them.

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/11 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When reading this, all I could think of was a puppy laying on it's back in a submissive position after being beaten down....... What a sad perspective on the industry. Is it any wonder why manufacturing is leaving the USA as fast as it is?

There is no excuse for major components not being assembled and working properly in a $15,000 Chevy, never mind a $250,000 Tiffin!

The fact that Tiffin owners consider the requisite trip to Red Bay to be a reasonable use for their vacation time is astounding!

"Luck of the draw?" "It would be nice if it were more consistent?" "repairs done on Tiffin's schedule"? You have got to be kidding me! I would be at my wit's end if I were to buy a new Tiffin, only to find myself scheduling a visit to Red Bay on my vacation, 3 months out, to repair serious design or assembly defects.

The fact that we have become so complacent as to consider this kind of workmanship as "the norm", is a sad statement of society in this country.

I'm done.... Off my soap-box and back to the real world.......

DanTheRVMan wrote:

Ault wrote:

If my issues continue past the 1 year mark this quarter million dollar Phaeton will be my 1st and last Tiffin. A quarter million is a H>>> of a lot of money to have so many problems. If you love Tiffin that much call me and I will sell you one to love.

I do not know your issue. The OP had tile issues which tiffin tried to fix and apparently did not work during the warranty period.

I think tiffin tries to resolve most problems for most owners. I think it just becomes a business decision on some cosmetic issues and tiffin wants most people happy, but it does not make business sense to make everybody happy. In that respect I do not think tiffin is different than other manufacturers.

The other misconception recently mentioned is the Allegro Bus is not made to a higher quality than Tiffins other products. The same workers use many similar parts on the same assembly line to build a "Tiffin" quality coach. for better or worse. The Allegro Bus has better stuff going into it, it is not made better than a phaeton or a red. It really comes down to the luck of the draw on how well your coach was manufactured. It would be nice if it was more consistent, but it is not. Again this is similar to other MHs at this price point.

I wish I knew which brand was built consistently the best, but I do not. I do know Tiffin will try to fix it in Red Bay on their schedule assuming you have the time and patience.

Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Ault

Fort Walton Beach, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/11 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And worse I have not had a Freightliner issue. The chassis has been great. It is all the construction of the box by Tiffin. I thought when coming from my used National I was going to the better or best in the price range. Wow, what a shock I had.

Suescasa Mycasa

In front of the TV, Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/11 01:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

paulcardoza wrote:

When reading this, all I could think of was a puppy laying on it's back in a submissive position after being beaten down....... What a sad perspective on the industry. Is it any wonder why manufacturing is leaving the USA as fast as it is?

There is no excuse for major components not being assembled and working properly in a $15,000 Chevy, never mind a $250,000 Tiffin!

The fact that Tiffin owners consider the requisite trip to Red Bay to be a reasonable use for their vacation time is astounding!

"Luck of the draw?" "It would be nice if it were more consistent?" "repairs done on Tiffin's schedule"? You have got to be kidding me! I would be at my wit's end if I were to buy a new Tiffin, only to find myself scheduling a visit to Red Bay on my vacation, 3 months out, to repair serious design or assembly defects.

The fact that we have become so complacent as to consider this kind of workmanship as "the norm", is a sad statement of society in this country.

I'm done.... Off my soap-box and back to the real world.......

DanTheRVMan wrote:

Ault wrote:

I was going to write something but Paul did an excellent job on every point.
If a manuf. would pick up a coach and return it at no charge to you and make payments on your loan while it sat during repairs I would consider new...........until then ???

2003 Travel Supreme Select 45'
ISM 500 Oh Myyyyyyyyyy
2003 Yamaha V Star 1100
Joeylift motorcycle lift
rollin rollin rollin... keep those doggies rollin

DanTheRVMan

fl

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/11 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

paulcardoza wrote:

I have seen American Coach, Winnie, Monaco, etc., etc. all with similar complaints in camp grounds and former owners of these coaches at Red Bay saying they were happier with a Tiffin. [emoticon]

I am aware of a million dollar coach that burned to the ground due to an electrical fire. The names of the guilty are protected though. So I'm not really sure you can even buy quality in this business. You are not getting automotive quality in a MH from any manufacturer.

I do agree with you that the scheduling of the Tiffin service center is baffling to me as well. I do not know how people with real jobs handle it. [emoticon]

PhotobugBev

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/11 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dan - was that the Monaco that burned at Kluane Lake, Yukon summer 2010?? I drove past it . . . what a tragedy.

JTHarley

Northeast, Michigan, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/11 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You rarely ever heard many complaints about Tiffen but it seems in the last couple of years more owners have been complaining and that impeccable service they are known for seems to be waining. I wonder if there have been changes at the factory due to the economy?

That being said, I don't think there is a manufacturer out there that is immune from these kinds of problems. The key is are they giving their customers the fix......I've always said that it is the service after the sale that puts one company ahead of the rest and I thought Tiffen's service reputation is one of the main reasons people buy their coaches.

Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> My Unreliable Tiffin
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.