|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Roadtrek Mercedes oil recommendation

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CTD

Stockton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/11 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the great information but why is the dipstick not reliable, it seems it would be a positve backup to the electronic monitoring? I guess I have been technologically challenged not relying on all these electronics, to many years of using "hardware." Thanks for the details on Mobil 1 and Valvoline!

Has anyone found a good service manual for these vehicles?

2012 Roadtrek Agile

Old Crows

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/11 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

krell wrote:

I have been using Valvoline Synpower MST 5w-40(VV966) in the OM642 Sprinter Engine for 22,000+ miles now. Meets the the 229.51 spec. I have been buying it at the local NAPA store. I asked what is your best price and how many cases do I need to buy to get that price. I bought enough for 2+ oil changes and for less than $6 a quart.

Another good choice!!!

Old Crows

Old Crows

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/11 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CTD wrote:

Thanks for the great information but why is the dipstick not reliable, it seems it would be a positve backup to the electronic monitoring? I guess I have been technologically challenged not relying on all these electronics, to many years of using "hardware." Thanks for the details on Mobil 1 and Valvoline!

Has anyone found a good service manual for these vehicles?

It's my view that the dip stick depends too much on the temperature of the oil. The volume increases as the oil heats up. The height on the dip stick then changes. You might have been just right and when warm looks over full, which it isn't. It could read OK, when it's actually needing a quart or two, depending on the oil's temperature. Also, oil is left in the upper parts of the engine and needs to drain down to give you an accurate reading. You could add oil and not really need to resulting in it being over full.

(Actually, I recall that mine was telling me that the oil almost needed a quart by the dip stick when I got the Sprinter a year ago. The Assyst said NO. I drove it about another 4500 miles before it told me to add a quart.

Over full is not a good thing on these engines.

The ASSYST system works something like this. With the engine hot... like driven for a good long time (I check at the end of a day's run...). Vehicle level. Turn key to systems "ON" (10,000 warning lights go off and then go away!!!) DO NOT START ENGINE!

Push on the button marked "M" and cycle through the selections until you see an oil can picture on the amber display. To the right of the oil can will be three dashes, __ __ __. They will begin to blink and within about 30 seconds it will read.... OK, 1 QT, 2QT (meaning add that amount of oil). There may be another reading indicating you are LOW!!!! Don't want to see that!!!

So simple! So easy! No greasy hands or screwing around with the hood, dip stick, and greasy paper towels.

I hope this helps!

bobo35

Baton Rouge, La. USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/11 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try royal Purple;

http://www.royalpurple.com/?utm_source=B/Y&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=B/Y_Royal_Purple_Text

Also they make a premium filter that will last the lifetime of the oil...which should be a consideration when changing your oil.

SW

gdoug83

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/11 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CTD wrote:

How long do you go between changes?

The oil change interval is 2 years or 10K whichever comes first. I changed at 2 years. I only have 5000 miles on mine. Don't get out much. The computer will tell you in the display when you turn the key that you are X days overdue and it will remind you every day until you change the oil....or fudge and fix the ASSYST. When that first started telling me I'm thinking, I only bought this 16 months ago, but then I remember the chassis was on the RT lot as an '09. The RT part is 2010. So it had been sitting there a while before the build date.

Doug
2010 RT RS Adventurous
Sprinter 3500

gdoug83

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/11 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CTD here's a great site for MB Sprinter chassis information and help. Everything you ever wanted to know about Sprinters.

CTD

Stockton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/11 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone! I guess it's the two years that I have trouble with and the service intervals/lubes required are different than my Dodge. There's nothing that says I can't do the oil at earlier times but to toss pricey oil isn't attractive either. Today I changed my Cummin's oil in the Dodge with Valvoline Premium Blue, so for giggles I checked the container. It says it can be used in vehicles with particulate filters BUT the Mercedes Benz acceptance on the label is for 228.31, not 228.51 or 229.whatever. When did it get so complicated! Probably with all the air quality stds. I'm use to no particulate filter nor DEF fluid etc.

I did check out the Sprinter site and it is a wealth of information as well...thanks!

mowog

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/11 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Mobil1 ESP meets the MB specs and should be available most places.

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/11 11:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mercedes-Benz Engine Oil Recommendations

Scroll down to "A Few Mercedes-Benz Approved Oils"

CTD

Stockton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/11 12:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've written the Mobil 1 ESP down for reference but I was unable to open the link to the M-Benz oil recommendations. I have an ignorant computer that does't have WORD. I did find a list of M-Benz oils that listed a lot of European brands along with a few American labels.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Roadtrek Mercedes oil recommendation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS