Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Modern travel trailers that will not break the bank?

Posted By: McClain00 on 01/02/12 12:45am

I am new to all of this and have a couple of questions. I have been wondering why there is not a modern travel trailer other than an airstream sold in the states? I have found that the travel trailers in the UK are more of the modern style that I am looking for and at a price that will not break the bank. My wife and I went looking at travel trailers the other day and just about every travel trailer we looked at felt like it would fall apart in about two weeks. Not to mention that it also felt like i was walking into my grandmothers house with some of the travel trailers we looked at. We have two kids and I think the two year old would just about rip it apart. The airstream is the only one that felt strong enough to hold a family of four with two dogs. Is there a travel trailer out there that has a modern interior and that will not break the bank? Or could I just buy one of the UK travel trailers and import it to the states? or is an airstream my only option?
I can not be alone in this thinking, I'm not the only person out there that likes modern style things... To be honest there was not one thing I saw that I would spend money on other than an airstream and that was way over my budget. Someone please help...
Thanks everyone for your time.
Matt

Posted By: raydf on 01/02/12 04:51am

It all depends on what amount would "break the bank" but we have a few very nice travel trailers beyond Airstream (which are very nice trailers, of course.) Try the following:

http://www.earthboundrv.com/

http://www.goevergreenrv.com/

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default........asp?nav=rec&page=aviator&choice=brochure

There may be more such trailers around -- just browse the web. There are also used Airstreams, of course.

Ray
Miami FL
2009 Fleetwood Pulse 24A

Posted By: RVnRobin on 01/02/12 04:56am

Other than modern and similar to an Airstream, I'm not sure what you want. Find an RV show near to you, look around, and talk to people (not just salespersons).

So much to experience, so little time.

Posted By: Tvov on 01/02/12 05:37am

I am not entirely sure what you mean by "modern". Very large travel trailers are available in the USA that have all the amenities of home, for relatively little money... $25,000 will buy you a large "home" on wheels.

As to the level of quality and workmanship, as with most things you get what you pay for.

Have you thought about a custom made TT?

Posted By: Opie431 on 01/02/12 06:01am

We have a cheap Outback 03 that we bought new. We took it in for repairs for the first time this summer. The repairs cost less than $200. My husband has learned to do a few minor repairs but we could not have gotten anything that could have worked better for us. I would rather have had an Airstream but I do not know anyone who bought an Airstream the same year we did that has had as little trouble and they sure spent a lot more money.

Posted By: DutchmenSport on 01/02/12 06:24am

FYI, we raised 2 kids and several dogs in a pop-up and it did not get destroyed. We've owned 2 different travel trailers. The first we owned for over 3 years, the second we've owned for over 6 years now. Kids, dogs, guests, and lots and lots of miles, traveling to places, in all kinds of conditions and all kinds of terrain. And the current trailer is still going strong!

You're wrong about the American made "modern" RV. There's more to an RV than the color of the wall.

Posted By: mich800 on 01/02/12 07:37am

I think they mean modern as in style. The Ikea look for lack of a better description.

Posted By: Palm Breeze on 01/02/12 08:20am

I don't care for the modernistic look of the Airstreams, but I know what you mean otherwise. An awful lot of models feel delicately made, and the fabric patterns really don't appeal to me.

We're currently busy researching before we choose our first trailer, wanting to get the best quality for our money, naturally. We may not solve the fabric problem to my satisfaction, but for quality for our money in floor plans that work for us, I like Dutchmen, Evergreen, KZ, and Northwood, and am very open to suggestions.

Posted By: raydf on 01/02/12 09:23am

Actually, the Northwood Artic Fox looks to be an exceptionally well-built RV, on par with luxury motorcoaches. Thanks for the tip!

http://www.northwoodmfg.com/index.php?page=makeindex&make=arctic

Palm Breeze wrote:

We're currently busy researching before we choose our first trailer, wanting to get the best quality for our money, naturally. We may not solve the fabric problem to my satisfaction, but for quality for our money in floor plans that work for us, I like Dutchmen, Evergreen, KZ, and Northwood, and am very open to suggestions.

Posted By: McClain00 on 01/02/12 09:55am

The ikea look is what I was talking about. Thanks for the links they we great. The earthbound looks nice. They seem to be expensive. It just seems odd to me that in the UK you can get a very nice modern (contemporary ) TT for around 25,000. Now looks are not always everything. I know I have never stepped foot in one of those TT but they would at least get me out to see them. Thanks everyone for your quick response
Matt
I have more searching to do.

Posted By: Searching_Ut on 01/02/12 10:43am

McClain00 wrote:

The ikea look is what I was talking about. Thanks for the links they we great. The earthbound looks nice. They seem to be expensive. It just seems odd to me that in the UK you can get a very nice modern (contemporary ) TT for around 25,000. Now looks are not always everything. I know I have never stepped foot in one of those TT but they would at least get me out to see them. Thanks everyone for your quick response
Matt
I have more searching to do.

I think you'll find the English Caravans tend to be built with about the same quality of the Ikea Furniture, ie. cheap disposable throw away. Having lived in England for 9 years, we were able to caravan, and tent camp many a time. From what I saw the TT's simply weren't designed for the sort of distances we tend tow in the states, and they were minimally built for very occasional use, not for long periods of time like many use their rigs for in the US. Even the US Trailers have a lot of compromises from trying to keep weight and costs down.

Good luck finding something that fits your needs. Unfortunately, like with most things, quality tends to cost so it's tough to find top quality at low cost.

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

Posted By: bgum on 01/02/12 11:26am

Try a used Airstream.

Posted By: RobertRyan on 01/02/12 12:26pm

Searching_Ut wrote:

I think you'll find the English Caravans tend to be built with about the same quality of the Ikea Furniture, ie. cheap disposable throw away. Having lived in England for 9 years, we were able to caravan, and tent camp many a time. From what I saw the TT's simply weren't designed for the sort of distances we tend tow in the states, and they were minimally built for very occasional use

Same argument comes up on the Australian Caravanners forum on the suitability of English and European Caravans for Australian conditions. Ex-Brits living in Australia think their Caravans are wonderful, but virtually everyone else on the forum things they are not.
Quote:

These European caravans start to get unstable above 85km and end up impossible to control. With no weight distribution hitch there is nothing to stop the pitching. Drive behind caravans like Adria Geist Swift and you can see how unstable they are on country roads. I would be scared to tow one at 90km/h. Cannot believe the number of European caravans you see splattered on the highway. Thankfully the people were not seriously injured.

Not all European Caravans are the same though, Adria a company based in Slovenia is the last European RV company to survive in Australia. They have had some of their Caravans do 10-15,000 miles around Australia including some dirt road stuff, with very little structural problems.Stability on rough roads without a WDH is another matter.
Adria Caravans in Australia.

That said US 5Vers have had a a LOT of problems in Australia, to the point that buyers wanted investigations by Federal Government agencies into their importation and compliance for Australian conditions.

* This post was last edited 01/02/12 01:08pm by RobertRyan *

Posted By: RobertRyan on 01/02/12 01:04pm

One English Caravan maker has/had been making Travel Trailers in Canada.
Award Travel Trailers

Ace Caravans changed to Award Travel Trailers in the US/Canada

[image]

Posted By: gmw photos on 01/02/12 02:35pm

McClain00 wrote:

I am new to all of this and have a couple of questions. I have been wondering why there is not a modern travel trailer other than an airstream sold in the states? ....

... Is there a travel trailer out there that has a modern interior and that will not break the bank? ....

...... and that was way over my budget. Someone please help...
Thanks everyone for your time.
Matt

Hi Matt,
As a new guy around here, let me throw my two cents in. I just bought a trailer in November, and this came after looking at probably around 100 different models. I have researched this whole deal up, down and sideways. I've come to the conclusion, that it's certainly nice there are many choices out there, because there are lots of different criteria based on a number of things. Here's a few of those things:

1. Budget. Include in this the cost of the trailer, what kind of tow vehicle you have or will have to buy, and the fuel and other operating costs for both the TV and the TT.

2. Intended operation of the TT. Are you only going to take it to modern campgrounds with well maintained roads and full hookups, or are you wanting to go down some marginal roads for boondocking ?

3. Are you wanting to buy new or used ? If used, are you willing and able to fix all the things that are wrong with it ( there will be issues ). If new, are you either willing and able to deal with some things that may be wrong with it, or are you equally willing and able to push back at the dealer to hopefully get them to fix problems under warranty. This seems to run the gamut, as in some folks get very good service ( warranty and otherwise ) out of their dealer, and some folks struggle to get the dealer to fix things correctly.

I have come to the conclusion that most of what is manufactured by this industry is, in effect a "kit"......kinda like, "some assembly required". The folks that seem to be the happiest are those who like to tinker and really have a lot of "pride in ownership". There is always something to be tweaked, adjusted, fixed or modified. Great fun if you like doing all that, maybe less so if you simply want something that is turn key 100% reliable. And it does not seem to matter which end of the price spectrum you are buying. Go hang out on the Air Forum ( Airstream ) and you will hear those owners talking about the same issues that is cussed and discussed over on the funfinder ( my choice ) forum.

You mentioned Northwoods Arctic Fox. They look nice for sure, but one of the prices you pay in that category is added weight. That may or may not be an issue for you, again, think about your tow vehicle, and the associated operating costs. Only you can decide how to balance all the different factors that go into it.

These forums are invaluable in helping see the path through all the different twists and turns this hobby/lifestyle represents. I hope you come back to the thread with some more specifics, such as TV, intended use, etc, because that will open up a whole new line of responses from a lot of folks who have way more experience than I do.

Best of luck with it all, because it sure is fun once you bring one home, begin to tinker, and then take it out on trips.

George

Posted By: Anthony C on 02/08/12 08:13pm

Earthbound RV

2017 Ford F-250 FX4,6.7 powerstroke deisel . Max Tow package. towing a 2017 Open Range Roamer 288

Posted By: DLW on 01/02/12 03:04pm

There is no such thing as a cheap, modern, well built TT. There are many examples of expensive, poorly designed and built TT's!

Every design is a trade off of cost, quality, and application. My Avion is one of the best built 5th on the road (mho), but it weighs tons (literally) and cost a young fortune when new.

There is only one truism - the minute you drive off the lot with your prize in tow - you will meet a new design you will like better!!

Gean. Larry & Roxie
Chevy 3500 4WD/HD/DW Crew DuraMax Allison B&W Hitch
AVION 37 - W4AUE 146.52

Posted By: Padlin on 01/02/12 04:12pm

Here's another.

Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Posted By: pasusan on 01/02/12 06:07pm

RobertRyan wrote:

One English Caravan maker has/had been making Travel Trailers in Canada.
Award Travel Trailers

Ace Caravans changed to Award Travel Trailers in the US/Canada

[image]
Only problem is the company went more or less out of business in 2005. They still work on old Awards, but don't manufacture new ones anymore. [emoticon]

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

Posted By: GaryWT on 01/02/12 07:14pm

I find it intersting that a modern look is wanted and the only thing you seem to like is the Airstream which has not changed their design in 50 or more years. If you are looking for retro then the Airstream is it. There are plenty of great modern RV's and they will last more than one season. Good luck in your search.

ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Posted By: Snowman9000 on 01/02/12 07:33pm

gmw photos wrote:

I have come to the conclusion that most of what is manufactured by this industry is, in effect a "kit"......kinda like, "some assembly required". The folks that seem to be the happiest are those who like to tinker and really have a lot of "pride in ownership". There is always something to be tweaked, adjusted, fixed or modified. Great fun if you like doing all that, maybe less so if you simply want something that is turn key 100% reliable. And it does not seem to matter which end of the price spectrum you are buying. Go hang out on the Air Forum ( Airstream ) and you will hear those owners talking about the same issues that is cussed and discussed over on the funfinder ( my choice ) forum.

Excellent!

Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Posted By: rvhippo on 01/02/12 08:30pm

My wife and I have been looking at RVs and she noticed that, in general, interior design was, to put it politely, really, really dated.

I would put American RV interior design at about the late 1980's to mid 1990's American residential construction -- the "colonial" or "traditional" style. Basically, just past the "disco" era. Shopping for RVs has been like getting into a time machine set for the Back to the Future movies.

It'd be nice if manufacturer's would update to at least the level of Ikea (please note, I'm talking about "styling and design" and not "engineering". The cheap, nasty, heavy materials that Ikea uses are not suitable for RVs. I'm just talking about the "look" or appearance of the interior).

RV styling seems to go from 1980's American traditional (most RVs produced today) straight to 2000's private-jet/mega-yacht (big-dollar tag-axle A's and Airstream) with nothing in the middle.

Prices also reflect this. I can get a four-season 27' TT for $25,000 with the "grandma's house" interior, or I can pay $90,000 for a three-season Airstream International Serenity with an interior that looks like the interior of a mid-size private jet. There is nothing in between, and it's the same with MHs (strangely enough, quality seems to be bad (relative to modern automotive standards) in general regardless of price, but I figure RVs are built to residential housing quality standards, which means a punch-list and spending the first year working out problems with the builder).

I figure that it's because of age demographics. For the most part, it's either seniors or young families buying RVs. For the seniors, the 1980's and 1990's are familiar and comforting. For the young families, all that matters is price. By staying traditional, the manufacturers can cut back on the parts inventories and just stock one style of material satisfying their two largest purchasing demographics.

In my very, very limited experience, there just isn't anything in between "American-Classic-Traditional" and "mega-dollar-private-jet" on the market.

Posted By: Artemus Gordon on 01/02/12 08:51pm

My Komfort has lasted over three weeks, has not fallen apart yet! Now I am worried![emoticon]

Posted By: Almot on 01/02/12 09:05pm

With all due respect, Airstream is quite an old design, speaking of body shape. True, many makers now are trying to make conventional box-shaped trailer look more "round", but, given the size that many people want, with slides and other gizmos, and the resulting weight, the overall handling is usually so-so. If the OP is looking for better aerodynamics, there are really modern designs with new materials and/or more airstream-ish shape like Forest River Aviator, or V-nose models. As with anything new, they are expensive.

Though, I am not sure what the OP is looking for. If it's interior - yes, many look like grandma's house because it's mostly baby boomers generation that's buying it now, and the trend will continue as more of them are coming into retirement, while young families are struggling with poor economics and high real estate costs. BB generation will peak out somewhere in the next 10-15 years, as I recall from statistical data.

Posted By: McClain00 on 01/03/12 07:56am

This is what I am talking about. Nicely written. Maybe we should make one.

Matt

rvhippo wrote:

My wife and I have been looking at RVs and she noticed that, in general, interior design was, to put it politely, really, really dated.

I would put American RV interior design at about the late 1980's to mid 1990's American residential construction -- the "colonial" or "traditional" style. Basically, just past the "disco" era. Shopping for RVs has been like getting into a time machine set for the Back to the Future movies.

It'd be nice if manufacturer's would update to at least the level of Ikea (please note, I'm talking about "styling and design" and not "engineering". The cheap, nasty, heavy materials that Ikea uses are not suitable for RVs. I'm just talking about the "look" or appearance of the interior).

RV styling seems to go from 1980's American traditional (most RVs produced today) straight to 2000's private-jet/mega-yacht (big-dollar tag-axle A's and Airstream) with nothing in the middle.

Prices also reflect this. I can get a four-season 27' TT for $25,000 with the "grandma's house" interior, or I can pay $90,000 for a three-season Airstream International Serenity with an interior that looks like the interior of a mid-size private jet. There is nothing in between, and it's the same with MHs (strangely enough, quality seems to be bad (relative to modern automotive standards) in general regardless of price, but I figure RVs are built to residential housing quality standards, which means a punch-list and spending the first year working out problems with the builder).

I figure that it's because of age demographics. For the most part, it's either seniors or young families buying RVs. For the seniors, the 1980's and 1990's are familiar and comforting. For the young families, all that matters is price. By staying traditional, the manufacturers can cut back on the parts inventories and just stock one style of material satisfying their two largest purchasing demographics.

In my very, very limited experience, there just isn't anything in between "American-Classic-Traditional" and "mega-dollar-private-jet" on the market.

Posted By: rgolding on 01/03/12 10:18am

Interesting theories about it being a choice in the recreation industry of "American-Classic-Traditional" and "mega-dollar-private-jet". I was trying to come up with other styles, like "Art Deco", "Italian or French Provincial" and it seems to be difficult. I have seen the"Art Deco" in some of the MH's and in the Airstreams and it is similar to "mega-dollar-private-jet" or the stateroom of a sleeper roomette on an overnight train, but it certainly isn't a comfort I'm wanting. Yes, I like the "American-Classic-Traditional" and I am 63 years old, so maybe it is exactly what you are stating. However, it has to be built light or we couldn't drag them around. And it can't be the spindly European designs with out being free standing and I guess you could build that out of a cargo trailer with windows cut in the sides and then spend all kinds of time securing the furniture before you travel, but do you really need a four poster canopied bed in a travel trailer. I guess I'm seeing a problem stated, but little in the way of a solution offered. As in boats, it seems that everything is a compromise and weight is a major factor. Just my thoughts.

Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan
Southern Illinois

2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS "Low Key"

Posted By: gandude on 02/08/12 08:51pm

This is not what you are looking for, but it has that european look and design. It also, (to me) seems very well made and thought over. The MPG is not bad either.

Winnebago Vista

Tahoe 21WTB Toyhauler
06 Dodge 3500 SLT, QC, LB, 4x4, 5.9, auto 370's
03 Kawasaki 360 Prarie
03 Kawasaki 300 Bayou
79 Honda XL 250
12 Honda XR 650

Posted By: wildwood32 on 02/09/12 05:56am

I my opinion,an airstream is no better built than an average trailer.I have several friends that have spent $60000 on thier new airstream and have nothing but trouble with them.Just my opinion.

If its Friday,see ya on monday.Have camper,will camp.

Posted By: gregrc75 on 02/09/12 08:12am

Checkout the new line of Keystone Vantage travel trailers of the Element travel trailers. They are modern but the interiors feel warmer than the Airstreams. I like Airstreams, but touring the interiors at the RV show reminded me of an operating room with the harsh lighting.

* This post was edited 02/09/12 08:20am by gregrc75 *

Greg and J
Ben - Yellow Lab. Charley - Red Lab
2018 Keystone Bullet Premier 30RIPR
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 5.0

Posted By: jwoodie on 02/09/12 04:55pm

I think you are referring to modern styling as opposed to utility. There is a reason boxes are shaped like boxes: They hold more stuff. Rounded TTs look nice, but give up storage to get that shape.

Posted By: Claude B on 02/09/12 06:42pm

I think that what the op means by ''modern'' design looks like these German made TT like the Hobby RV

http://www.hobby-caravan.de/en/caravans/premium/

Look also for the De Luxe, Excellent and Prestige series

I saw them the in Europe and yes, they are 20 years ahead of american made RV in therms of design and quality.

* This post was edited 02/10/12 07:40pm by Claude B *

Claude
2013 Gulf Stream VISA 19ERD
VW Touareg TDI 2013
VW Passat 2012 TDI

Posted By: Charltons on 02/09/12 10:09pm

Why would US manufacturers make these? We like BIG. I could probably count on 1 hand he number of full size pickups I saw in the London area. If we are willing to buy big boxes and big trucks why would any manufacturer put out the R&D money to make streamlined and lighter towables. It wont happen until fuel prices go so high we stop buying big trucks and oversized , supposed lightweight trailers. This is not a rant against either trucks or oversized trailers as I own both, but more a statement on the market of today. As for the 20 years ahead of us, they have to be, it is a must in a market of small cars, small houses and high fuel prices.

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 TCD
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

Posted By: McClain00 on 02/09/12 10:47pm

Charltons wrote:

Why would US manufacturers make these? We like BIG. I could probably count on 1 hand he number of full size pickups I saw in the London area. If we are willing to buy big boxes and big trucks why would any manufacturer put out the R&D money to make streamlined and lighter towables. It wont happen until fuel prices go so high we stop buying big trucks and oversized , supposed lightweight trailers. This is not a rant against either trucks or oversized trailers as I own both, but more a statement on the market of today. As for the 20 years ahead of us, they have to be, it is a must in a market of small cars, small houses and high fuel prices.

Wow, this is what's wrong with this country. Bigger will be our down fall! Why would you not want a more efficient TT. One that will help you get every mile you can out of a gallon gas. A travel trailer that will be designed to make every square inch usable. Almost every travel trailer I have stepped in feel like they have been made on someone's 20 minute lunch break. The doors will not close because the thing is not squared. Garbage craftsmanship, if craftsmanship is even what you can call it. I work hard for my money and I'm ashamed that this country still builds these terrible travel trailers. The only one that is worth the money are air steams. By the way, air streams have less wasted space than a most of the square TT. The previous post is why this country is falling behind in everything. The idea of if it's not broke we don't have to fix it. If the economy didn't falter Chevy would still be having to give away cars because no one wanted to buy them. It took out government to wake that company up. Sad sad sad. It's a shame that it didn't wake up everybody. Sorry for the rant, that post just made me sick.

Posted By: McClain00 on 02/09/12 10:57pm

One more thing, the TT's I've been looking at are around 8000 lb's I have stepped into some very nice motor homes and 5th wheels. I just can't find a TT (other than an air stream) that is modern in style that will fit my budget. I'm not going to go camping with my grandmothers house attached to the back of my SUV. Although maybe I could get my 85 year grandmother to go camping. I could just tell her "you'll love the wall paper in the TT. It looks just like this room you remodeled in the 80's". WHAT A JOKE!

Posted By: Charltons on 02/09/12 11:07pm

McClain00 wrote:

Charltons wrote:

Wow, this is what's wrong with this country. Bigger will be our down fall! Why would you not want a more efficient TT. One that will help you get every mile you can out of a gallon gas. A travel trailer that will be designed to make every square inch usable. Almost every travel trailer I have stepped in feel like they have been made on someone's 20 minute lunch break. The doors will not close because the thing is not squared. Garbage craftsmanship, if craftsmanship is even what you can call it. I work hard for my money and I'm ashamed that this country still builds these terrible travel trailers. The only one that is worth the money are air steams. By the way, air streams have less wasted space than a most of the square TT. The previous post is why this country is falling behind in everything. The idea of if it's not broke we don't have to fix it. If the economy didn't falter Chevy would still be having to give away cars because no one wanted to buy them. It took out government to wake that company up. Sad sad sad. It's a shame that it didn't wake up everybody. Sorry for the rant, that post just made me sick.

Re-read the post, I was not justifying any of it, just stating why the market does what it does. Does Detroit have the tech to buld a 30+ mpg truck? Sure they do but are they going to in the near future? No sir they are not even thnking about it yet......and they wont anytime in the near future as long as the economy will bear the excess. I think these changes, good or bad, are still a long way off.

Posted By: Tvov on 02/10/12 04:45am

McClain00 wrote:

I just can't find a TT (other than an air stream) that is modern in style that will fit my budget.

Yep, most of us run into that constantly. Not just with TTs. Living with a budget, that is just life.

Posted By: 4monkeys on 02/10/12 11:21am

Have you checked out Livin Lite brand? They have the VRV & CampLite you might want to look at. We just ordered a VRV.
Also, how about The TAB? Go Little Guy is making them now. But these are not cheap. The Livin Lites aren't cheap either, but I think you can get in one cheaper than a TAB.
How about the R-Pod?

Posted By: WandaLust2 on 02/10/12 03:36pm

McClain00 wrote:

... I just can't find a TT (other than an air stream) that is modern in style that will fit my budget. I'm not going to go camping with my grandmothers house attached to the back of my SUV.

If the only thing that will satisfy you is an Airstream, but you don't have a lot to spend... why not look into a used one? Craigslist is an excellent place to start.

BTW, Airsteams look the same as they did in your grandmother's day.... so I don't see what the problem is.

Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted By: ROBERTSUNRUS on 02/10/12 09:27pm

[emoticon] Hi, as mentioned, you might consider a slightly used Airstream. (No, mine is not for sale) Be very careful though, because there are a lot of scammers out there advertising Airstreams at ridiculously low prices. I read a few stories, on the other forum, about people who fell into the scammer's trap. [emoticon]

"> Bob ">
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Posted By: nycsteve on 02/11/12 04:47am

ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:

[emoticon] Hi, as mentioned, you might consider a slightly used Airstream. (No, mine is not for sale) Be very careful though, because there are a lot of scammers out there advertising Airstreams at ridiculously low prices. I read a few stories, on the other forum, about people who fell into the scammer's trap. [emoticon]

Is the scam a "bait and switch" or someother way of sepersating you from your $$ ? Just curious how they profit from advertising a false low price.

Posted By: Michael in MN on 02/11/12 05:51am

nycsteve wrote:

ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:

Is the scam a "bait and switch" or someother way of sepersating you from your $$ ? Just curious how they profit from advertising a false low price.

From what I've seen, the scams are typically related to shipment or delivery. They ask for money up front for shipment, you pay, they don't ship. There are many other permutations though...

-----------------------------
LivinLite Camplite 16BHB
2015 Silverado 1500

Posted By: ROBERTSUNRUS on 02/11/12 01:38pm

nycsteve wrote:

ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:

[emoticon] Hi, the scammers usually list a late model Bambi for something like $5,800.00. People send the full amount of money, wanting to not get beat out on this super deal. Then that's the end of it. Money gone and no way to trace it. Same trailer is listed in several states and relisted everytime someone FLAGS it. The story is always too good to be true and you can never see the trailer. Where ever you are, the trailer is in another state. Check for the wrong use of words and/or bad spelling too.

Posted By: FoCoNoCo on 02/11/12 04:45pm

ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:

nycsteve wrote:

ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:

Check for the wrong use of words and/or bad spelling too.

Kind of misleading, as that is found on this and every other forum I've ever been to.....

Posted By: Scubachris on 02/12/12 10:14pm

rgolding wrote:

Interesting theories about it being a choice in the recreation industry of "American-Classic-Traditional" and "mega-dollar-private-jet". I was trying to come up with other styles, like "Art Deco", "Italian or French Provincial" and it seems to be difficult. I have seen the"Art Deco" in some of the MH's and in the Airstreams and it is similar to "mega-dollar-private-jet" or the stateroom of a sleeper roomette on an overnight train, but it certainly isn't a comfort I'm wanting. Yes, I like the "American-Classic-Traditional" and I am 63 years old, so maybe it is exactly what you are stating. However, it has to be built light or we couldn't drag them around. And it can't be the spindly European designs with out being free standing and I guess you could build that out of a cargo trailer with windows cut in the sides and then spend all kinds of time securing the furniture before you travel, but do you really need a four poster canopied bed in a travel trailer. I guess I'm seeing a problem stated, but little in the way of a solution offered. As in boats, it seems that everything is a compromise and weight is a major factor. Just my thoughts.

I am in. There has got to be a way to make an updated, light travel trailer. I am thinking your style is mid-century modern, and I have no idea who makes one beside Airstream. Been looking for one about four years. Even thought about taking an old Airstream and redoing it. Then I started kicking around the idea of starting a company to build an affordable stylish camper. Still kicking, and researching. Good luck with your search, and let me know what you find.

Regards,
Chris

Posted By: mlts22 on 02/13/12 03:55pm

What I miss are companies like Pace American who can build custom RVs. The downside is that they are harder to sell, but they are relatively inexpensive, and pretty much can have the features you want. To boot, they are all aluminum with a steel frame, so water damage isn't an issue. The closest thing these days would be a Livin' Lite.

Posted By: jwoodie on 02/13/12 05:11pm

This thread reminds me of the styling changes Toyota had to make to the Prius so that owners could "advertise" their social responsibility. Same people who buy "organic" food. I guess it's cheaper than therapy...

Print  |  Close