|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> New Andersen WD hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 51  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/12 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

I was in the process of hooking up my Andersen WD hitch today. Everything was going pretty smoothly, and then BOOM.

The standard frame brackets that are shipped fit 5" or 6" frames. I had measured the A frame on my trailer previously. It will need the 4 3/8" brackets.

I've sent an email to RadAuto and Andersen to figure out what I need to do.

What a PITA this has turned into.

So did you have the wrong size brackets for your frame? Perhaps that was the problem. Also, as posted above, what went "boom"?

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

PHS79

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/12 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like you ordered the wrong kit for your application. You need kit number 3344 or 3348, and more than likely you ordered the standard 3350 or 3380. I would think that you should be able to order the correct brackets from directly from Andersen.

2004 F150 FX4, with lots of mods and way too much money dumped into the truck for said mods
2012 Grey Wolf 26BH

Clanton24V

Port townsend Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/12 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

logistic wrote:

Hey, I used the andersen for 2100 mile trip last month and loved it. That said, I'm buying a 5th wheel now and am selling mine.

have you looked at the andersen 5th wheel hitch? i know i'd get it if i were going to get a 5th wheel.

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/12 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zues wrote:

What went boom?

When I said BOOM, I didn't mean something broke. What I was trying to say was my nice orderly install came to an abrupt stop, when I discovered I needed 4 3/8" brackets rather than the standard 5-6 inch brackets.

At this point I don't know if I can get the parts swapped out in time to have the hitch installed by Thursday of this week.

I still have my Class B, so I may have to make the Spring Game trip in it.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Badger Dog plus "Ollie"
"The Traveling Koala"
2012 Koala 21CS
2005 F150 Supercab 4x4, w/ 5.4L
And Equal-i-zer WDH/Sway Control

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/12 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

Atlee wrote:

I was in the process of hooking up my Andersen WD hitch today. Everything was going pretty smoothly, and then BOOM.

The standard frame brackets that are shipped fit 5" or 6" frames. I had measured the A frame on my trailer previously. It will need the 4 3/8" brackets.

I've sent an email to RadAuto and Andersen to figure out what I need to do.

What a PITA this has turned into.

So did you have the wrong size brackets for your frame? Perhaps that was the problem. Also, as posted above, what went "boom"?

Yes, I have the wrong size brackets. Nothing broke. It was just an overly dramatic description of my orderly install that came to a screeching halt.

zues

Atascadero, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/12 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our trailer I through bolted the brackets.

I helped a friend install the brackets for his hitch, and I welded the brackets to the frame.

I don't like the idea of the allen bolts to secure the brackets.

logistic

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/12 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used the allen set screws and they really crushed in the frame rails. The good news is they haven't moved at all in 2600+ miles. If I were to do the install again, I'd thru-bolt them too.

Clanton, I've seen Andersen's 5th wheel hitch and agree that it's a slick solution. I have a new F350 with factory hitch already installed though...

2004 Keystone Cougar 294-RLS (6125 lbs/675 lbs dry)
2011 Ford Expedition EL XLT HD Tow
2012 Ford F150 S-Crew EcoBoost XLT Max Tow

daystrom

NE Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/12 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Andersen hitch has really intrigued me. Don't know if anyone has seen the full report from Mr. Truck with lots of pictures and video of it in action...Link Here

I happen to be shopping for a new WDH. I currently have a Robin Industries 1000 lb trunion bar with a single friction sway control bar.

The weight distribution is fine for my setup. It's the anti-sway that I have issues with. Any little bit of wind pushes the front of the trailer/rear of the truck causing me to constantly correct while on the road. With no winds my towing experience is fantastic. Even a passing truck is no real big deal. It's just the crosswinds that I have problems with.

This past week was an uncomfortable ride home. A combination of poor bumpy roads and crosswinds really gave me a work out in controlling the combo.

I'm looking at either the Equal-I-zer or the Andersen. What would be a better choice for me? Which would control crosswind movement better?

You can see my setup in my sig. Trailer weighs 6140 as built from the factory. No dealer installed options. I estimate loaded with food/clothes/supplies I am near 7000 lbs. Tongue is between 900-1000 lbs.

I'd like to stay under $500 for a new hitch setup so a Hesnley or ProPride is out of the question!

2012 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BH
2012 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 6.7L PSD SRW
11,500 GVWR, 3522 lbs of payload

mrad

Prineton, MN

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/12 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Anderson is supposed to arrive today. I will be making a 140 mile round trip to a campground this weekend and will be able to report on Monday. I currently have an Equalizer.

daystrom

NE Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/12 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What was your reason to change to the Andersen from the Equalizer?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 51  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> New Andersen WD hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS