RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: southwest New Mexico

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Suzanne and Brad

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HI,
Will be driving through the area, specificall from Tucson to Las Cruces then turning north towards Albuquerque in April - wondering if anyone had suggestions of things to see & do along the way. Already have the Gila Cliff Dwellings in the plans.....

As always ~ thank you!

Happy Travels!
Suzanne & Brad

More To See

San Diego Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/12 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have the time and are just out wandering about:

Drop down on 90 just before Benson to see Kartchner Caves State Park.

Then work your way over to Tombstone and then Bisbee. Head on over to Douglas and then north on 80 north about 50 miles take route 9 over to Columbus. (Be aware 9 is a long lonely road but a great drive.) At Columbus go north to Deming and then on east on 10.

Bisbee is an old open pit copper mining town now a bit of an artists colony. Narrow streets and not much parking there.

Columbus is where General Pershing invaded Mexico after Pancho Villa did his cross border raid there.

95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

IDman

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About 10 miles south of Socorro is the town of San Antonio. Go to the Owl Cafe or the Buckhorn for the best Green Chile Cheeseburgers ANYWHERE! If you like birds (and coyotes) go to the Bosque del Apache Natl. Wildlife Refuge which is outside of San Antonio. It has a visitor center, and is an easy drive thru refuge where you can see large flocks of sandhill cranes and numerous other species. Depending on the timing, you could see Whooping Cranes as they spend winters there. In Albuquerque, take the tram up to Sandia Peak for a great ride and view. Enjoy

PenMan

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd run over to White Sands since you'll be close. Very cool place.

Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

Dave's Wife

Albuquerque, NM- The Land of Enchantment

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While in the area head over to Glenwood. The Catwalk is a great treat. Some people say that it was a hideout for Billy the Kid (Billy's Mom live very close and the Los Olmos Motel there claims to be her home)and Pancho Villa. Pinos Altos is a lovely artisty colony.
If you stay in Silver and head to the Cliff Dwellings from there Kneeling Nun info make sure to check out the Kneeling Nun it is a very cool rock formation. Don't forget to stop at the Santa Rita Open Pit Mine which at one point was the US' largest along with the City Of Rocks which is further east heading toward Deming.

Downtown Silver City is a great quaint town to walk around in. The Big Ditch has been turned into a River Walk of sorts. Make sure to check out the Silver City Chamber Website Silver City website

Fort Bayard is a great place for history buffs. It was a Buffalo Soldier outpost that is now a National Cemetary, wildlife preserve and has been turned into a state hospital. The old housing is beautiful with large white Antebellum Columns.

Have a great time! Bien Venidos (Welcome) to the Land of Enchanment!

Sheila aka....

Dave's Wife
2003 29 ft. Holiday Rambler Alumascape 5th wheel
'03 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
Dave & Me

Bruce3404

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/12 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And if you feel like deviating a bit further East, you could take in Carlsbad Caverns and then the kitschy town of Roswell. My favorite NM Mex is Andele, which is located just outside Las Cruces in Mesilla. Cheap and tasty!

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/12 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Chiricahua National Monument by Wilcox is a neat place. The Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum, just west of Tucson is really great (a zoo mainly without bars mostly) is over on the west side of Tucson by the Saguaro Nat'l Park and Old Tucson (the movie set/theme park). The Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum is a must see for sure. Tucson Mountain Park and Gilbert Ray Campground in near by. I drove into the campground last spring, it wouldn't be a bad place to spend some time. I believe it is first come/first served which I prefer. Kartchner Caverns State Park from what I have read should also be a neat place, we have not gone yet.

My Daughter & family live in Tucson, which has proven to be a neat city, easy to get around in, with many things to see and do around it. Never camped there, however. But visit often. Maybe something in this will help out: [emoticon] Clicky.

If going to the Gila Clift Dwellings, do an overnight at City of Rocks.
Southern part of the state:
Carlsbad Cavers, and Guadalupe Mountains National Park ( Guadalupe ), located in far West Texas on US 62/180. The driving distance is 110 miles east of El Paso, Texas. Carlsbad Caverns National Park is worth a see. One can take a back country highway from Van Horn to Guadalupe Mountains National Park; TX route 54 from Van Horn & I-10.
Note: If using TransMountain & the Loop to bypass most of El Paso, be sure to get on the Loop when it crosses US 62/180 or it will take you Montana Street & into El Paso near downtown.

Off US 70 between Las Cruces & Alamogordo, White Sands Nat'l Monument - Alamogordo Area. North of Alamogordo and/or East of San Antonio near Carrizozo, Valley of Fires BLM Campground is a first rate campground with electric & water hookups, good dump station and a fine shower house. Pics & description can be found: Campground and Cloudcrof, Lincoln/Capitan, Carrizozo/White Oaks.

If you make it to the Las Cruces Area - NM Mexican Food plus camping and attractions in the area. At least try a Green Chile Cheese Burger. Video

Taste of NM Pecans: Stahmanns or Salopek

North of Cruces or West of Carrizozo using US 380, off of I-25 in New Mexico by San Antonio, the Bosque del Apache Wildlife Refuge.
Bosque Birdwatchers RV Park Never stayed there, but have read about others staying there to see the Bosque. As a matter of fact you could take US 380 all the way to I-25 at San Antonio & the Bosque del Apache. I-25 to Socorro, take US 60 towards Datil, Passing the VLA before you get to Datil & a very Nice BLM Campground. But would miss White Sands.

One of the most talked about green chile cheese burgers for years, is in San Antonio, NM at the Owl Bar.
Ditto

I have now been hearing about another green chile cheeseburger in San Antonio. The Buckhorn Tavern in San Antonio. A Food Review and Ditto
I believe the chef at Buckhorn beat Bobby Flay on a Throwdown with his.

San Antonio, New Mexico was the birth place & boyhood home of Conrad Hilton, founder of the Hilton Hotels.

Using I-25: Around the T or C area, three state parks, Elephant Butte SP and Caballo SP with Caballo being closest to the interstate as well as Percha Dam State Park a nice place on Rio Grande, near Caballo Lake. Elephant Butte Lake State Park headquarters are 5 miles north of Truth or Consequences via I-25 exit 83. Caballo Lake State Park is 16 miles south of Truth or Consequences via I-25 exit 59 and NM 187. Percha Dam State Park is 21 miles south of Truth or Consequences via I-25, exit 59.

West of Las Cruces on I-10, Pancho Villa SP is south of Deming right on the Mexican Border. North of Deming towards Silver City is City of Rocks State Park. I've never been to Pancho Villa, but have enjoyed out trips & stays at City of Rocks.
Silver City Area -Videos

New Mexico State Parks Best Camping Prices Around & No Day Fees on top of camping fees. NM Camping Fees

Some more info on the Silver City Area:

[emoticon] Geronimo Trail Scenic Byway or NM Rte. 152 - Into Silver City is a neat drive, with a nice viewing area into an open pit copper mine. Road to Emory Pass with great vistias at the top. On the east side of Emory Pass there is Kingston; a neat ghost town, but one which still has people living in it and building new homes as well. Hillsboro is just down the mountain from Kingston as well. It is one of New Mexico's Ghost Towns with people still living there. But Lake Valley is not too far from and south of Hillsboro and it has almost no one living there anymore. On the western side of Emory Pass down at the "bottom" of the decent is a neat distinctive ridge with a very western descriptive metaphor of a name, the Devil's Backbone. A few campgrounds and areas to hike down in the "valley" along with a stream. Such as Lower Gallinas Campground, Upper Gallinas Campground, Wright's Cabin Campground and Iron Creek Campground which is in the middle of this recreational corridor spanning from the Mimbres Valley to Hillsboro, along NM Hwy 152 a great drive, very scenic.

Lake Roberts, NM-- Upper End Campground and Mesa Campground at the Lake Roberts Recreation Area recent upgrades. The upgrades include new picnic tables, grills, and fire rings. In addition, 12 units received water and power hookups with two of those sites upgraded with improvements for people with disabilities which include a sidewalk from the site unit to the restrooms. The Upper End Campground also recently received upgrades to many site pads that will eliminate issues during heavy rain. Both campgrounds also have a full-time campground host on site. Fees at Upper End Campground are proposed to increase from $7 to $10 a site per night. Fees at Mesa Campground are proposed to increase from $7 to $10 a site per night for most sites and $15 per night for sites with both water and electric hookups. A $3 charge for each additional vehicle is also proposed for all sites. Both the Upper End and Mesa Campgrounds are open to camping year-round on a “first come first serve basis” with a self-pay fee station available at each campground. Wilderness Ranger District Office in Mimbres - (575) 536-2250

On State Route 35, are two campgrounds that are a bit more RV-friendly - Mesa and Upper End. These campgrounds contain pleasant, sunny sites for RV, motorhome, car, and tent camping enthusiasts on or overlooking Lake Roberts. Stocked with rainbow trout, the lake also has Brown trout and catfish to challenge the fishing enthusiast.

For some hard drives:

There are some nice boondocking/dispersed sites by two of the forks of the Gila River (after desending down into the Gila canyon with a nice bridge over the River) a few miles before you get to Dr. Campbell's store at Gila Hot Springs. There is a road down to the river by the bridge to the East Fork of the Gila with trees and shaded sites. After crossing the bridge, there is a mesa-like area with another road down to the Middle/West Fork joined Gila River with dispersed sites by the river, large cottonwoods, etc. These were very nice places to camp (I have not been there in years). It is a fairly long drive back into this area from Lake Roberts. Some very steep roads to desend and climb out of, but paved. It is up into the Wilderness area, just off the road. There was camping near the Gila Cliff Dwellings, mainly just a parking lot & tables. To camp by the Gila River, one must desend from the paved road down steepish hills, but there is some dispersed sites on the upper "mesa" above the River. This is near the site of two forks of the Gila meeting/joining to form the Gila River. There are 3 forks, the MIDDLE FORK AND the WEST FORK join closer to the Cliff Dwellings, near the vistor center. It seems the stream becomes the Gila River when they join up. At the Bridge where the camping sites are near the EAST FORK joins up. There are hot springs up the Middle/East Fork Gila just off the river, but if you walk up to them, DO NOT get the water up the noise. There can be deadly amoebae in them (a killer water-borne amoeba known as naegleria fowleria). Video
Gila CliffDwellings
More Gila
Camping
FAQs

Over by the Lake Roberts area, there is a forest road which skirts or borders both the Gila Wilderness and the Aldo Leopold Wilderness with many despersed sites along the road. Take North Star Road off NM 35 which will later turn into NM 61 with leads to Wall Lake and Beaverhead area and a paved hwy NM 59 which leads one to the Winston and Chloride Area with many more despersed sites. Or angle to the west and one can go to Snow Lake & Willow Creek area and over to Mogollon and to Glenwood.

An easy/good highway: Up at the top/north of the Gila on US 60 towards Datil, there is the VLA before you get to Datil & a very Datil Well BLM Campground. From Silver Cityl go to Glenwood; then to Reserve. At Glenwood there is the Catwalk (Clicky) as well as a short side trip to Mogollon an old gold mining Ghost Town.
Reserve's Hero

Since first seeing the Organs in 1968 after waking up after an overnight on a trip to SoCal, we have never gotten tired of seeing them change with the time of day & the seasons (moved here in '71):
[image]
Organ Mountains from the NM Farm & Ranch Museum 10 Jan. '12.

[image]
Organs in the Pink...nearing sundown.

[image][image]
Road to Dripping Springs & Baylor Canyon Rd.

[image]
Windmill off Baylor Canyon Rd.

[image]
At the Trail Head Soledad Canyon BLM Day Use Area East of Las Cruces in Organ Mts.

For some Sights & Sites in Northern NM: Flagstaff - Gallup - Grants- to Santa Fe Plus. Albuquerque has many neat and cool things to see there. As does Santa Fe both on I-25.

A recent similar Post for Northern NM.

More 4Corners Plus Clicky.

* This post was edited 02/09/12 11:18am by DesertHawk *

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

Jim2007

Greeley, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/12 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Desert Hawk; Great images! Jim2007

TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

mockturtle

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/12 04:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are three nice state parks in the Deming area: City of Rocks (north), Rockhound (south) and Pancho Villa (further south, in Columbus). If you want a detour to Alamogordo, White Sands and the Space Museum are worth a visit. And Oliver Lee SP is a nice place to overnight. Caballo Lake SP is pretty nice, too, on the way north if you're going through to Albuquerque.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Suzanne and Brad

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THANK YOU ALL so much for the fabulous ideas (& photos). I truly appreciate the time it takes to respond ~ THANK YOU!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.