Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: $700,000 dollars for a new Prevost chassis!!??

Posted By: bluebarry1964b on 02/15/12 04:49pm

As some of you who have been reading my previous postings know,I've been crying and whining about the lack of smoothness of my ride in my 4 air bag Holiday Rambler. I said that I'd keep working at it and trying out new ideas. My goal was for a bus quality ride.

Recently I watched one of those new RV shows that's on television. I'm not sure which one it was, as there are two or three new shows on.

On this show they went to a factory that custom-made Prevost buses/RV's/motorhomes (whatever you choose to call them). They mentioned that on a 2 million dollar Prevost, the chassis alone cost $700,000 dollars. I was actually relieved when I heard this. It clearly indicated to me that my goal of a bus quality ride was completely unreachable. I actually think that mentally it will help me to appreciate the ride that I do get in my RV because I now realize that my goal was totally unreasonable. So, other than some air ride seats and an anti-sway bar, my quest for a smooth ride is over. No more whining on my part.

But can you believe any chassis being worth $700,000 dollars???

Did anyone else see this episode and did I hear them right?

Posted By: wildmanbaker on 02/15/12 04:54pm

Yea, I kinda laughed when I heard that! Your getting a empty, rolling bus for that price? I would think $170K, and that would be high.

Wildmanbaker

Posted By: Golden_HVAC on 02/15/12 04:55pm

Hi,

The 18' long slide out is a $135,000 option! No wonder the total cost is well over $1,500,000!

I would try a air ride seat if your coach has air brakes. This might not stop the coach from vibrating, but you will not notice nearly as much vibration or harshness.

They can also adjust he steering pressure to make it easier to steer, at the cost of a little road feel. I found my 75 Ford camper I could drive all day long and not be tired, the only thing I can think of that it had was really power boosted steering (like all cars in the 70's) and that might have made driving it much more effortless.

I guess you have already tried Bilstien Shocks, anti-sway bars, and that sort of thing?

Fred.

Posted By: PapPappy on 02/15/12 06:00pm

Golden_HVAC wrote:

Hi,

The 18' long slide out is a $135,000 option! No wonder the total cost is well over $1,500,000!

I would try a air ride seat if your coach has air brakes. This might not stop the coach from vibrating, but you will not notice nearly as much vibration or harshness.

Fred.

And if you get one, you had better get one for DW, or you'll be wishing you did![emoticon]

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ">
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.">
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008"> FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Posted By: Goldencrazy on 02/15/12 06:13pm

I rode on Prevost buses in the desert at the PGA golf tournament. My gas coach with the Kelderman air ride is not too far behind them in terms of ride. I am lighter and shorter but noticed the feel was not that much different. Now on really terrible roads I think the difference may be greater as the limits may be different. My message is you can improve your ride and your ride does not seem reasonable.

Posted By: univmd on 02/15/12 06:52pm

$700K is less than half the cost of a Newell, sounds reasonable.

2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

Posted By: msmith1199 on 02/15/12 07:03pm

All of that cost of the Prevost isn't just to get a better ride. I saw that same show and remember they also said the chasis was designed to run 24 hours a day for many years. So a lot of that money is spent to make it sturdy too with the ability to go for a few million miles. All that sturdy may actually go against smoothness in the ride.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Posted By: Sully2 on 02/15/12 07:07pm

Last thing I heard was that the chassis was stainless steel and had a 2 million mile warranty on it. Now whats it worth?

presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Posted By: Francesca Knowles on 02/15/12 08:36pm

bluebarry1964b wrote:

Sure!

To the "Fool Born Every Minute" market identified by the late, great P.T Barnum.

.......................[image]..........................

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 02/15/12 09:17pm

I am convinced that our 1992 P30 chassis and house that cost us $7995 in 2007 rides like a Prevost.

Posted By: skipole on 02/15/12 10:12pm

Goldencrazy wrote:

I rode on Prevost buses in the desert at the PGA golf tournament. My gas coach with the Kelderman air ride is not too far behind them in terms of ride. I am lighter and shorter but noticed the feel was not that much different. Now on really terrible roads I think the difference may be greater as the limits may be different. My message is you can improve your ride and your ride does not seem reasonable.

Prevosts don't travel on terrible roads. [emoticon]

Posted By: Francesca Knowles on 02/15/12 10:32pm

skipole wrote:

Prevosts don't travel on terrible roads. [emoticon]

That's because Prevosts CAN'T travel on terrible roads. [image]

That sorrowful fact is the source of the well-known "Prevost Pity".

Posted By: SCVJeff on 02/16/12 12:50am

bluebarry1964b wrote:

---snip---

Well yeah... You just saw it [emoticon]

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Posted By: J-Rooster on 02/16/12 02:54am

bluebarry1964b wrote:

As some of you who have been reading my previous postings know,I've been crying and whining about the lack of smoothness of my ride in my 4 air bag Holiday Rambler. I said that I'd keep working at it and trying out new ideas. My goal was for a bus quality ride.

Recently I watched one of those new RV shows that's on television. I'm not sure which one it was, as there are two or three new shows on.

On this show they went to a factory that custom-made Prevost buses/RV's/motorhomes (whatever you choose to call them). They mentioned that on a 2 million dollar Prevost, the chassis alone cost $700,000 dollars. I was actually relieved when I heard this. It clearly indicated to me that my goal of a bus quality ride was completely unreachable. I actually think that mentally it will help me to appreciate the ride that I do get in my RV because I now realize that my goal was totally unreasonable. So, other than some air ride seats and an anti-sway bar, my quest for a smooth ride is over. No more whining on my part.

I might be mistaken but Prevost entry level coach is around $750,000.00 last time I looked! I was going to stop by there lot in Yakima, WA. last year and it was empty.

Posted By: paulcardoza on 02/16/12 06:16am

If people are buying them, they are worth whatever price they charge for them!!!!!!! The fact that I'll never be able to afford one, is irrelevant!

Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Posted By: Cloud Dancer on 02/16/12 07:30am

After reading all the posts on owners attempting to reduce the harshness of ride in their motorhomes, it's obvious that very few understand what/how little it takes to incorporate a soft-ride design chassis, IF YOU CAN START WITH A CLEAN SLATE.
The problem they have is that their chassis was NOT properly designed for a soft ride. AND, you certainly can NOT fix it by adding, of all things, BILSTEIN shocks!
BTW Prevost chassis are designed for much more than a nice ride.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Posted By: donandmax on 02/16/12 07:38am

Gale Hawkins wrote:

I am convinced that our 1992 P30 chassis and house that cost us $7995 in 2007 rides like a Prevost.

I hear ya Gale, I've decided my 96 Damon Intruder rides just like those Prevosts. And look at all the money I've saved. Yahoo !!

If it aint broke fix it till it is

Posted By: ryanallie1 on 02/16/12 07:47am

Hi All.

You can just call us chaep. Even if we could afford one, we wouldn't. And we are by no means in the "Poor Class", and we could have bought just about any Motorhome that we wanted. But we were dead set on what we wanted, we wanted a Rexhall Motorhome. We are perfectly happy with the "Once In A Lifetime Buy" we got on our Motorhome, plus we really like ours. It may be older, and a Gasser, but its what we wanted, and maybe not as nice as those are, but we also live in the real workd. For what we paid for our Motorhome, we can affort to put Fuel into ours for a very long time, for the money that we saved on our Motorhmes cost. Compaired to what a lot of people pay for any Class A Motorhomes. Buying one of those very expensive Coachs, would keep us in Fuel for the rest of our livess and then some. But I guess for thoses that can afford those type of Coachs, they don't worry about the cost of Fuel anyways. Just our 2 cents worth. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

1998-34 ft Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

Posted By: topflite51 on 02/16/12 08:20am

Sounds like a little Prevo envy exists on this forum.[emoticon]

">David
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ">
Any errors are a result of CRS.">

Posted By: zmotorsports on 02/16/12 08:40am

paulcardoza wrote:

If people are buying them, they are worth whatever price they charge for them!!!!!!! The fact that I'll never be able to afford one, is irrelevant!

Exactly. More power to those that can afford them. For every one built look at the poeple that are employed.

As far as ride goes, I wouldn't call them smooth. I drove a friends 2004 Marathon coach on a Prevost chassis and it wasn't $1.5M better than our $400k Dynasty on the Roadmaster chassis. Was it better? Yes, but look at the weight involved as well. Our 40' coach weighs 36k pounds and rides good and the Marathon is 45' and weighs 54k. The weight alone will smooth out the ride.

Personally, I think the Newell rides every bit as good if not better than the Prevost chassis but that is merely my opinion. I can't afford either so I am happy with my "poor" riding little 40 footer.

Mike.

2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

Posted By: PAIRAJAYS on 02/16/12 08:41am

topflite51 wrote:

And I are one.[emoticon]

JIM E

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 02/16/12 08:43am

topflite51 wrote:

That could be the case for some.

I expect I would pass on one that was provided free for the next 10 years if I had to feed, drive and keep it road ready.

Now bring on a nice trackhoe or something like a nice skid steer track loader with about 20 cool attachments. [emoticon]

Needs and wants vary from person to person. Some toys bring pleasure and some bring stress.

I am serious. Our MH does everything we want, all critical systems are in good shape as of yesterday or have be rebuilt to new condition. We are out of the work, work stage and should have years of relative low upkeep needs.

At 61 I still plan to live to be 110 but know myself better than ever before. Some things are me and other things are NOT.

Posted By: rgatijnet1 on 02/16/12 08:57am

I've driven and used my friends Prevost/Liberty coach, 45' long. It rides great and it is smooth and has plenty of power with 500+ HP. It has a lot of neat features like automatic retractible power, water, and sewer lines. When his generator is running, you have to be standing right next to it, and listen closely, to hear it. The interior is first rate, although it is not my taste. Even in the hottest weather, you do not have to worry about the interior temperature with three large AC units. His has close to a 1000 range, but not because it gets good mileage. It has a huge fuel tank. All in all, it is what I would expect from a million dollar plus MH. He has offered several times to sell it to me at a price that I can easily afford. The coach is just not for me. Would I personally pay that much for a custom one, nope. The coach that Monaco built works fine for my purposes. I know that the way we travel, there are many places where the Prevost just won't fit, especially with a toad. I appreciate the fact that some people feel that a Prevost is what they need in the way of an RV. They are well built and have certainly stood the test of time. For someone that puts many many miles on a coach, they are one of the few that can probably go 500,000 miles with nothing but routine maintenance. I cannot say that they are not worth the price, but I could have one in my driveway right now and I don't.

Posted By: wazone on 02/16/12 07:16pm

I've seen 14-15 year old Prevosts selling below $200,000. A reasonable deal as long as you don't have any repair costs, which have to be out of sight, maintnance costs can't be cheap either. I guess I'll pass.

Posted By: tatest on 02/16/12 07:45pm

Industrial/commercial grade anything cost what it costs. Have you priced the empty shell of a Boeing Business Jet (737) or even the little Challenger. As with a Prevost, private buyers will then more than double the cost fitting it out, pushing past the price of the basic passenger carrying version.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Posted By: bluebarry1964b on 02/16/12 07:51pm

Cloud Dancer wrote:

After reading all the posts on owners attempting to reduce the harshness of ride in their motorhomes, it's obvious that very few understand what/how little it takes to incorporate a soft-ride design chassis, IF YOU CAN START WITH A CLEAN SLATE.
The problem they have is that their chassis was NOT properly designed for a soft ride. AND, you certainly can NOT fix it by adding, of all things, BILSTEIN shocks!
BTW Prevost chassis are designed for much more than a nice ride.

X2 in regards that the problem many of us have is that our chassis was not designed for a soft ride. Mine--a 4 air bag Roadmaster chassis-- is notorious for having a bad ride. And it's extremely true that there are limits to what you can do about it.

As for the Bilstein shocks, I would have personally chosen Koni FSD's if I'd had the choice. However, the Ride Enhancement kit comes with Bilsteins that are supposedly customized for the REK system. I have no idea what the company means by "customized" but that's what I've been told.

I do know that some have tried the REK with Koni's and it has resulted in a worse ride. The Koni's, though they sound like a superior shock, just aren't compatible with the REK, unfortunately.

I do remember one poster on another topic (don't ask me which topic, there are so many on this website) stating that he did try Koni FSD's with pretty good results, but not to the point of being completely satisfied. So he uninstalled them replaced them with the REK and thought it was a good improvement.

I finally did run into someone else who had the REK installed in their RV and, like me, wasn't satisfied. Admittedly, there aren't many of us, as most people have been very satisfied with the REK. This gentleman had the same airbag and Roadmaster chassis as mine. He finally said that things got to the point where he got rid of the RV. He replaced it with a motorhome that has a Spartan chassis...says it rides like a car. I think I made a big mistake getting the 4 air bag Roadmaster chassis.

Posted By: bluebarry1964b on 02/16/12 08:20pm

This is the OP. Please don't misunderstand. I definitely wasn't intending to "bad mouth" Prevosts. I have never even been in one, so I certainly can't judge them.

What I was commenting on, was the fact that the price of the chassis alone could enable someone to pay, in cash, for a pretty swanky stick-built house. I understand that the Prevost is one of the premier motorhomes in the entire industry. Nobody can argue that. And I do understand that every company is entitled to make a healthy profit. There's nothing wrong with that; it's the American Way.

But with that said, there's just no way that any chassis in the world, no matter how well built, can cost anywhere close to $700,000 dollars to build. I can't imagine what the mark-up must be on a chassis like that. Even with the labor costs and a healthy profit thrown in, the price for the chassis just doesn't add up to me.

My opinion--and it's just my opinion-- is that if a company is charging that much for just one part of a motorhome, they are expecting people to be willing to pay for the "name". If you ignored the fact that it was a "Prevost" I have to wonder how many people would still be willing to pay that kind of price for a chassis.

So many products out there, even very good products, are still extremely overpriced because people are buying based on a name. Harley Davidson (boy am I going to get some hate mail over this one) was known, not now, but at one point in their history, to be putting out a product where it seemed like you had to work on the thing constantly just to keep it on the road. But people still bought them like hot cakes. Not to employ Americans, not because it was a superior product, but because it was a "Harley".

For any Prevost owner's out there... if you are happy with your motorhome and feel that the price for the chassis was well worth it, then that's the bottom line. If you're happy, then you bought the right motorhome for yourself. All of us have different tastes, and different limits to how much we're willing to spend on any product. There's really no right or wrong answer to this topic.

For any Harley owner's out there....I know that criticising (sorry for the spelling) a Harley is tantamount to telling you that your firstborn child is ugly as sin...forgive me this mortal sin[emoticon]

Posted By: tatest on 02/16/12 08:40pm

I don't think the customers are buying a name, they are buying a commercial motor catch shell. They would likely pay as much if the name were Volvo, Citroen, or Mercedes-Benz, nearly as much for a VanHool, or an Asian or Spanish coach, after import. They are paying for a shell, not for a bare chassis.

That it costs as much as a stick house doesn't mean much, because in that case the customer is paying for location. A house that might go for 700K in a prime neighborhood in South Florida might be a fifty thousand dollar property in a small town in rural East Texas or be a two million dollar house in Silicon Valley or on the beach at Malibu.

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 02/16/12 10:45pm

Sure people buy to get brand names because they are image driven. Just look at the over priced (well high margin I should say) clothes we have on the next time you go to a fast food place in a college town.

Driving/owning a beached whale is not everyone's dream.

Personally I could not accept a free Provost if I had to retain ownership and keep it road ready for the next 10 years without messing up retirement plans.

Posted By: RobertRyan on 02/16/12 11:10pm

msmith1199 wrote:

All of that cost of the Prevost isn't just to get a better ride. I saw that same show and remember they also said the chasis was designed to run 24 hours a day for many years. So a lot of that money is spent to make it sturdy too with the ability to go for a few million miles. All that sturdy may actually go against smoothness in the ride

Too bad you do not have Scania and MAN Coach chassis's sold in the US other than Prevost(Volvo)
[image]
[image]

* This post was edited 02/16/12 11:23pm by RobertRyan *

Posted By: Francesca Knowles on 02/17/12 04:04pm

Apples and oranges...

The second one was clearly struck by another vehicle.

Thanks for the heads up that Prevosts tend towards side-sliding, though. One would think that given the price they'd be more stable!

Posted By: PackerBacker on 02/17/12 06:23pm

Wow, all I want is to soften the ride on our 20 year old craftsman lawn tractor!

Eric
2014 Enterra 314RES (Cruiser RV) TT, Equal-i-zer 12K, Honda 2000 Genny
2022 Ford F-150 Sport 4X4

Posted By: rgatijnet1 on 02/17/12 06:20pm

Gale Hawkins wrote:

The class A accident may have been due to the driver watching TV.

You noticed that to. Either the batwing was up or the impact made it go up.

Posted By: mike brez on 02/17/12 06:42am

RobertRyan wrote:

msmith1199 wrote:

All of that cost of the Prevost isn't just to get a better ride. I saw that same show and remember they also said the chasis was designed to run 24 hours a day for many years. So a lot of that money is spent to make it sturdy too with the ability to go for a few million miles. All that sturdy may actually go against smoothness in the ride

Too bad you do not have Scania and MAN Coach chassis's sold in the US other than Prevost(Volvo)
[image]
[image]

I have see Scania (Saab) here don't think I have seen a Man

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 02/17/12 09:16am

rgatijnet1 wrote:

The chassis cost of having a factory, that has a production line set up for standard buses, to interrupt that production to build a very small quantity of custom 4 slide chassis is going to be expensive. That $700,000 figure was for a chassis that may be built a dozen times a year, at most. Custom work costs and until the average bus starts having 4 slides on them, it will remain expensive. If you want a cheaper Prevost chassis, then get the standard bare bones 45' bus chassis, without slides.

Bingo!

This is the same reason a $1 screw out of production might cost you $500 or $5000 to get just one produced.

What is the cost different between getting 50 custom business cards or 500 of the same cards?

Does anyone know what Prevost pays for their liability insurance that covers them for the legal life of one chassis?

Over 100 years ago Henry Ford figured out he could sell cars for 1/3 of his then price IF he could get production high enough to pay to set up the high production lines in a plant.

The cost of goods and services are much more expensive than the raw products and labor required to make them.

Posted By: MustangGT on 02/17/12 09:44am

I am sure some of the highest $$$ coaches are privately owned, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of them are actually leased to/from corporate "fleets". So from that perspective, they are probably run-of-the-mill depreciable assets. And how they must depreciate![emoticon]
I wonder what the mix is and what it would cost for a Joe Sixpack with good credit to lease one? I couldn't/wouldn't afford to put a tire on one.

Mark, Jean, Paul & Lizzy (the mutt, RIP)
1997 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 34LS >
Thirsty, noisy & clunky. She ain't pretty, but she sure is fun!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." Enzo Ferrari

Posted By: rgatijnet1 on 02/17/12 09:52am

MustangGT wrote:

I am sure some of the highest $$$ coaches are privately owned, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of them are actually leased to/from corporate "fleets". So from that perspective, they are probably run-of-the-mill depreciable assets. And how they must depreciate![emoticon]
I wonder what the mix is and what it would cost for a Joe Sixpack with good credit to lease one? I couldn't/wouldn't afford to put a tire on one.

They are really cheap to rent. Here is a listing of Prevost units for rent. You really get a bargain when you go for the weekly rate. The one at the top of the list is only $3500/day but forget that...go for the weekly rate of $17,500 and save yourself $7000. It is like getting two days rental for FREE. [emoticon]
Prevost rentals
I should add that the basic rental includes 100 miles per day or use or 700 miles per week. I DID NOT leave off a zero. If you drive more than that, you will be charged and, of course, you still have to pay for the fuel.

* This post was edited 02/17/12 10:02am by rgatijnet1 *

Posted By: univmd on 02/17/12 10:02am

bluebarry1964b wrote:

This is the OP. Please don't misunderstand. I definitely wasn't intending to "bad mouth" Prevosts. I have never even been in one, so I certainly can't judge them.

What I was commenting on, was the fact that the price of the chassis alone could enable someone to pay, in cash, for a pretty swanky stick-built house. I understand that the Prevost is one of the premier motorhomes in the entire industry. Nobody can argue that. And I do understand that every company is entitled to make a healthy profit. There's nothing wrong with that; it's the American Way.

But with that said, there's just no way that any chassis in the world, no matter how well built, can cost anywhere close to $700,000 dollars to build. I can't imagine what the mark-up must be on a chassis like that. Even with the labor costs and a healthy profit thrown in, the price for the chassis just doesn't add up to me.

My opinion--and it's just my opinion-- is that if a company is charging that much for just one part of a motorhome, they are expecting people to be willing to pay for the "name". If you ignored the fact that it was a "Prevost" I have to wonder how many people would still be willing to pay that kind of price for a chassis.

So many products out there, even very good products, are still extremely overpriced because people are buying based on a name. Harley Davidson (boy am I going to get some hate mail over this one) was known, not now, but at one point in their history, to be putting out a product where it seemed like you had to work on the thing constantly just to keep it on the road. But people still bought them like hot cakes. Not to employ Americans, not because it was a superior product, but because it was a "Harley".

For any Prevost owner's out there... if you are happy with your motorhome and feel that the price for the chassis was well worth it, then that's the bottom line. If you're happy, then you bought the right motorhome for yourself. All of us have different tastes, and different limits to how much we're willing to spend on any product. There's really no right or wrong answer to this topic.

For any Harley owner's out there....I know that criticising (sorry for the spelling) a Harley is tantamount to telling you that your firstborn child is ugly as sin...forgive me this mortal sin[emoticon]

If Prevost is charging what it charges simply because of name, Greyhound and many other bus companies would not be buying them. I doubt passengers know what chassis bus they are riding on when they check into Union Station to hop on a bus. The DC metro is upgrading its fleet with city buses that cost almost $1 million each, and they aren't even Prevosts.

Posted By: MustangGT on 02/17/12 10:54am

thanks for the link rgatijnet1! their cheapest rental is still much nicer than my RV.lol
I don't know what it says about me, but I would be honored and intimidated just to squeegee the windshield on one of the primo units. No way I'd pilot one. I'll just keep dreaming that I'll be able to do a walk-through (shoes off, eye-balls out) at a show or a dealer....but I'll leave feeling poorer than dirt.

Posted By: rgatijnet1 on 02/17/12 11:06am

MustangGT wrote:

thanks for the link rgatijnet1! their cheapest rental is still much nicer than my RV.lol
I don't know what it says about me, but I would be honored and intimidated just to squeegee the windshield on one of the primo units. No way I'd pilot one. I'll just keep dreaming that I'll be able to do a walk-through (shoes off, eye-balls out) at a show or a dealer....but I'll leave feeling poorer than dirt.

You won't find me renting one either. [emoticon]

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 02/17/12 11:15am

rgatijnet1 wrote:

MustangGT wrote:

They are really cheap to rent. Here is a listing of Prevost units for rent. You really get a bargain when you go for the weekly rate. The one at the top of the list is only $3500/day but forget that...go for the weekly rate of $17,500 and save yourself $7000. It is like getting two days rental for FREE. [emoticon]
Prevost rentals
I should add that the basic rental includes 100 miles per day or use or 700 miles per week. I DID NOT leave off a zero. If you drive more than that, you will be charged and, of course, you still have to pay for the fuel.

WOW! After buying and upkeep for going on six years we still have less than one week Prevost rental fee in our MH. [emoticon]

Posted By: rgatijnet1 on 02/17/12 11:43am

Gale,
I guess for us it's like what they say about various luxury products......if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. [emoticon]

I wonder if anyone has seen one of the Prevost coaches boondocking in a Walmart parking lot. [emoticon]

Posted By: Francesca Knowles on 02/17/12 11:56am

rgatijnet1 wrote:

I wonder if anyone has seen one of the Prevost coaches boondocking in a Walmart parking lot. [emoticon]

Post #3655 at IRV2's Walmart parking thread:
Tallyrver wrote:

This was parked at my local Walmart this morning ,I don't think a campground fee would be an issue...

He was towing a Cadillac SVT on a trailer also

[image]

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 02/17/12 12:09pm

When is everyone going to grasp parking at WM is NOT related to ones wealth or type of RV.

Should I be given a Prevost that was fully wet (fuel, service, insurance, taxes, etc) I would still park the sucker at WM for the same reasons just like we do our 20 year old gasser when it is legal.

I do understand some people are controlled by external forces and not internal forces and the other way around so that may mean the answer is NEVER since we all respond different to these forces. [emoticon]

Posted By: VintageRacer on 02/17/12 12:56pm

Some people just like the added safety and reliability that a bus chassis brings with it. Aside from the electronics (and you can't get away from that with a new vehicle) bus chassis aren't all that different from anything else when it comes to maintenance. My 1980 MCI with 8 air bags rides just fine... [emoticon]

Here is a guy who is building a custom coach on a Prevost 45XLE, including two slides - the bus was a burn salvage, he says he's going to have around $20K total in it when it's done... http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=22900.0

Here is a basically brand new (8K miles, bare shell) Prevost if anyone is handy...probably could get it for under $150K http://www.prevostpro.com/

Brian

2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

Posted By: rgatijnet1 on 02/17/12 01:56pm

VintageRacer wrote:

Some people just like the added safety and reliability that a bus chassis brings with it. Aside from the electronics (and you can't get away from that with a new vehicle) bus chassis aren't all that different from anything else when it comes to maintenance. My 1980 MCI with 8 air bags rides just fine... [emoticon]

Here is a guy who is building a custom coach on a Prevost 45XLE, including two slides - the bus was a burn salvage, he says he's going to have around $20K total in it when it's done... http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=22900.0

Here is a basically brand new (8K miles, bare shell) Prevost if anyone is handy...probably could get it for under $150K http://www.prevostpro.com/

Brian

Brian,
Right now they are asking $210,000 for the shell. I guess that is a bargain but when you get done with it, it will still be a 1999 coach. 1999 Prevost shell

Posted By: oldduffer on 02/17/12 03:12pm

VintageRaceCar, what model of MCI do you have? I drive Charter buses for a living and drove the same coach for 5-6 years till the last engine had an injector tip break off and ruined the cylinder so it is parked out back now next to the ones going to salvage. mine was a 5 speed mci9 96". I drove to the casinos in Deadwood and the same people rode a lot and they all liked the ride in, "your old bus" better than the others i have driven inbetween. I would love to make it into a MH. The company is doing away with the old ones and using VanHools. I am one of the few who drives a stick.

Posted By: AprilWhine on 02/17/12 03:41pm

Here's a picture of a salvaged Prevost that slid on it's side:

[image]

and a similar class A:

[image]

You will notice that the class A did not roll on its side, otherwise the picture would be of a debris field.

This in one of many reasons I chose to buy a Prevost bus conversion instead of a class A RV. And yes, I do park at WalMart, can't beat their camp store and they have room to turn a 65' rig. [emoticon]

1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

Posted By: univmd on 02/17/12 04:21pm

AprilWhine wrote:

[image]

and a similar class A:

[image]

You will notice that the class A did not roll on its side, otherwise the picture would be of a debris field.

This in one of many reasons I chose to buy a Prevost bus conversion instead of a class A RV. And yes, I do park at WalMart, can't beat their camp store and they have room to turn a 65' rig. [emoticon]

I'm surprised that the awning did not come off the Prevost if it really slid on its side...

Posted By: zmotorsports on 02/17/12 04:48pm

univmd wrote:

AprilWhine wrote:

[image]

and a similar class A:

[image]

I'm surprised that the awning did not come off the Prevost if it really slid on its side...

And the mirror is still intact.

Mike.

Posted By: zmotorsports on 02/17/12 04:52pm

Don't get me wrong I would love to own a Marathon or Millenium Coach built on the Prevost chassis. Even more a Newell but I don't think if given to me I could afford to keep up on the maintenance expense even doing all my own work.

That said, I am happy with the one I am driving. Although it is nice to dream.

Mike.

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 02/17/12 05:16pm

The class A accident may have been due to the driver watching TV.

Posted By: bluebarry1964b on 02/17/12 05:47pm

The Latest Conspiracy Theory

This is the OP.

Took the dogs out for a walk this morning. Noticed a beautiful Prevost parked just behind and to the left of me in the Park... A Prevost that wasn't parked there the night before.They have a clear view of my RV from where they're parked. Just a coincidence, or is there something more sinister going on??[emoticon]

Posted By: mena661 on 02/17/12 06:18pm

zmotorsports wrote:

And the mirror is still intact.
And the paint.

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

Posted By: Francesca Knowles on 02/17/12 06:46pm

bluebarry1964b wrote:

The Latest Conspiracy Theory

This is the OP.

Took the dogs out for a walk this morning. Noticed a beautiful Prevost parked just behind and to the left of me in the Park... A Prevost that wasn't parked there the night before.They have a clear view of my RV from where they're parked. Just a coincidence, or is there something more sinister going on??[emoticon]

[image]

You're in serious trouble!
You've run afoul of the Greyhound Bus Conversion Owners' Club! ([image] Image Preservation Division [image])

Nothing can save you now...

Posted By: AprilWhine on 02/17/12 11:45pm

The picture of the wrecked Prevost I posted was from a sale site, the bus had been cleaned up for resale, so could be a bit misleading.

Here's some pictures of a Prevost with front end damage severe enough that it is being parted out.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Please post any pictures of a wrecked class A or Prevost you can find.

Posted By: bluebarry1964b on 02/17/12 11:57pm

AprilWhine wrote:

The picture of the wrecked Prevost I posted was from a sale site, the bus had been cleaned up for resale, so could be a bit misleading.

Here's some pictures of a Prevost with front end damage severe enough that it is being parted out.

[image]

[image]

[image]

The pictures are interesting...if you notice the front wheels, at least the driver's side, are raised up on a piece of 4x4. That means the front end is abit higher than normal. Looking at the height of the front end damage, it looks too low to have been a car that did the damage, although I guess not impossible. A deer certainly wouldn't do that kind of damage, I wouldn't think. I wonder what would sit so low, yet do so much damage? Any ideas?

It's too bad; the bus, by the looks of the side of it, was absolutely gorgeous.

You know, we can debate about whether these buses are worth the price you pay, whether their ride is that much better than some RV's out there,etc. But one thing that is indisputable in my opinion is that some of these Prevosts and other bus/motorhomes are some of the finest looking vehicles out there on the highways. Works of art, on wheels.

* This post was edited 02/18/12 12:10am by bluebarry1964b *

Posted By: Francesca Knowles on 02/18/12 12:13am

Probably drove it into a concrete barrier of some kind...Is that steering wheel bent, or is that what it looks like normally?

Also- the closer I look at this (earlier) picture, the more it looks like what I see along the side is a distorted reflection of other vehicles in the lot-
where exactly is the damage from the side-slide???
[image]

ON EDIT:

Yup- the "damage" is an optical illusion.

Here's a link to the site where the picture came from The pics there include one of the same side of the bus from a different angle. No damage! And the specs describe its condition as "normal wear".

Where the heck did the "side-slide" story come from??????

* This post was edited 02/18/12 12:24am by Francesca Knowles *

Posted By: Francesca Knowles on 02/18/12 12:41am

AprilWhine wrote:

Here's the Prevost that was involved in that recent 10 fatality pileup on I-75 in Florida. The impact blew out the windshield which is lying on the pavement in front of the bus:

[image]

[image]

Posted By: paulcardoza on 02/17/12 05:51am

Let's not forget that the Prevost chassis is designed primarily for passenger busses that are intended to go multi-million miles and not necessarily for RV's which will be lucky to see 200k miles in it's lifetime.

bluebarry1964b wrote:

Posted By: rgatijnet1 on 02/17/12 06:00am

The chassis cost of having a factory, that has a production line set up for standard buses, to interrupt that production to build a very small quantity of custom 4 slide chassis is going to be expensive. That $700,000 figure was for a chassis that may be built a dozen times a year, at most. Custom work costs and until the average bus starts having 4 slides on them, it will remain expensive. If you want a cheaper Prevost chassis, then get the standard bare bones 45' bus chassis, without slides.

Posted By: Sully2 on 02/17/12 06:05am

paulcardoza wrote:

Let's not forget that the Prevost chassis is designed primarily for passenger busses that are intended to go multi-million miles and not necessarily for RV's which will be lucky to see 200k miles in it's lifetime.

bluebarry1964b wrote:

Its a COMMERCIAL chassis. Think thats a lot of $$....Go out and buy COMMERCIAL QUALITY hand tools to work on your coach....No...Not Buffalo...but tools like SNAP-ON and UP...

Posted By: AZPops on 02/18/12 10:11am

I wish somebody would give me a Prevost! It'd be like winning the lottery, cause I'd sell it!

Anonymous,....Oh I mean Pops! Just incase you know! ... [emoticon]

Posted By: bsinmich on 03/26/12 12:43pm

And I'll bet it doesn't come with a spare tire.

1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Posted By: RVER on 03/25/12 07:23pm

yes that can be true of other RV chassis as well. Seems weird you can have a 2009 rig that really is a 2006 but it is very true.
Then went in prepared to pay for it since it was a cash auction and if they were lucky enough to be the high bidder they needed to show up actually with $10000 bank certified check just to get in the door. They seem to want that rig so went prepared. The maintainece would put my bank account away so .... right now we have fifthwheel tht we love. Had a Winnebago MH previously. both have their pros and cons.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

Posted By: RVER on 03/25/12 03:55pm

I met a couple in a campground in Maryland who had a Prevost that cost them $200,000. They bought it at auction, it had been repossessed, the people who owned it only owned $180,000 on it so it went to auction and BINGO they got it because the auction date had changed and dealers just did not make it there and not many people have CASH $180,000 in their pocket so they are the recent new owners of a 2009 Prevost. WOW was all I could say, and it was a beauty.

Posted By: Sawbonz on 03/25/12 04:34pm

RVER wrote:

I met a couple in a campground in Maryland who had a Prevost that cost them $200,000. They bought it at auction, it had been repossessed, the people who owned it only owned $180,000 on it so it went to auction and BINGO they got it because the auction date had changed and dealers just did not make it there and not many people have CASH $180,000 in their pocket so they are the recent new owners of a 2009 Prevost. WOW was all I could say, and it was a beauty.

They were better prepared than I would have been! But good for them. I hope to get that lucky some day.

Btw, converter does matter. And a funny thing about Prevosts is that there can be 1, 2 or even 3 years difference between when the shell was made and when the conversion was titled! That means that their '09 could have been an '06 and, if you don't know how to check, you wouldn't know.

Karl and Natalie
2004 Liberty Prevost #567

Posted By: AprilWhine on 03/25/12 12:05pm

Sawbonz wrote:

ClassAGeek wrote:

Check out the used Prevosts at: http://www.prevost-stuff.com/. You will routinely find Provosts for well under $200K.
The Cons:

1. Not an RV chassis. The driver's seat is below the living area. As 45' Prevost only has as much living area as a 41' RV chassis where the driver's seat does dual duty.
2. Windows that don't open. Many Prevosts have 100% fixed windows save a small 'toll booth' window for the driver'.
3. All electric coaches are common with a requirement for 'commercial 240 VAC @ 75A' - not RV 50A that we are used to. 30 amp cheater cords are out of the question since they are only 120 VAC. Even some 50A posts don't work because they are wired as two in phase 120 VAC circuits (your big Monaco will be happy but the Prevost will see zero volts) .

Just wanted to address your Cons:
1. Only on the H3s. The XL IIs are level.
2. There are usually four small windows that open, at least on the XL IIs.
3. I haven't seen one that uses more than a 50 amp cord. Ours has popped the breaker several times at our current camp though. The converter did give us a cheater cord too.

The site you mention to shop for one is good, but remember that those are asking prices. The. Est thing to see is when someone realizes that for the same of less money they can spend on a new plastic coach that they can buy a used bus that will look and drive better for much longer!

Spot on with your comments.

We traded in an 08 40' Winnebago on our 97 XL 45' Angola conversion. We think it is one of the best things we ever did.

Windows vary by manufacturer, Angola installed 12 50% opening windows in our coach, and the breese just flows through. We bought from a smaller, honest dealer in Princeton TX, "Mr Olivers RV".

Rock stars and Politicians lease, most of the owners we meet are neither. Hubby and I are both retired enlisted military, we just had some savings.

50 amp is fine with our coach. Due to the high inrush charge rate of the inverters, we can not use 30 amp at all. Genset provides 80 amp two leg 120v.

Yes, the interior of ours could be considered "Dated", however, with the quality of the interior components, no way are we changing out Corian and Marble. All used vehicles are a compromise.

Posted By: ClassAGeek on 03/24/12 07:47pm

Check out the used Prevosts at: http://www.prevost-stuff.com/. You will routinely find Provosts for well under $200K.

The Pros:

1. A drivetrain that will out last you.
2. Surprisingly good mileage (for a 50,000 lb vehicle)
3. More storage than a condominium

The Cons:

1. Not an RV chassis. The driver's seat is below the living area. As 45' Prevost only has as much living area as a 41' RV chassis where the driver's seat does dual duty.
2. Windows that don't open. Many Prevosts have 100% fixed windows save a small 'toll booth' window for the driver'.
3. All electric coaches are common with a requirement for 'commercial 240 VAC @ 75A' - not RV 50A that we are used to. 30 amp cheater cords are out of the question since they are only 120 VAC. Even some 50A posts don't work because they are wired as two in phase 120 VAC circuits (your big Monaco will be happy but the Prevost will see zero volts) .

I could see owning a 'fully depreciated Prevost'. Too bad my DW would give up RV'ing if I ever bought one. She wants smaller ever year. Maybe I could do 25' a Provost conversion and make everyone happy [emoticon]

----
Happy Ford F-53 Class A Owner (2008 Gulf Stream)
2010 Ford Fusion Toad (with 6 speed manual transmission - the only way to tow)
Brake Buddy Vantage, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar,
TST RV 507 TPMS, Power Master Voltage Controller

Posted By: D.E.Bishop on 03/24/12 07:53pm

Gale Hawkins wrote:

I feel that way about my 1989 P32 and the Prevost doesn't have that Big Block Chevy V8 sound from the 60's and 70's.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Posted By: wny_pat on 03/24/12 10:09pm

bluebarry1964b wrote:

You know, we can debate about whether these buses are worth the price you pay, whether their ride is that much better than some RV's out there,etc. But one thing that is indisputable in my opinion is that some of these Prevosts and other bus/motorhomes are some of the finest looking vehicles out there on the highways. Works of art, on wheels.
Much like a stick and brick house, it is all about construction. You do not build a good house with 2x4s, you need something more substantial. A bus suspension is not like a truck I beam suspension which many motorhomes still use! Prevost’s integral structure provides unparalleled vertical, lateral and torsional rigidity compared to body-on-chassis constructions. But Provost does not have a corner on this market! Several of the high end motorhomes use the unibody type construction. This combined with the proper bus type suspension offers safety along with rolling stability control. And it can be accomplished without air bag suspension too!

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Posted By: ShutterStuff on 03/24/12 10:53pm

sbishop wrote:

Gale Hawkins wrote:

I feel that way about my 1989 P32 and the Prevost doesn't have that Big Block Chevy V8 sound from the 60's and 70's.

And I thought I was the only one that loved that 454 sound in an RV!

But I do wish for an RV with an outdoor kitchen and bunk beds for the boys! By the time I can get one, the kids will be gone...

Sheldon
Qapla´ from the house of K'ler

Picasa Album of our MH refurb in progress

1988 31' National Dolphin 3140

Amateur radio IS a contact sport!
N7XEI

Posted By: Sawbonz on 03/25/12 07:00am

ClassAGeek wrote:

The Cons:

Just wanted to address your Cons:
1. Only on the H3s. The XL IIs are level.
2. There are usually four small windows that open, at least on the XL IIs.
3. I haven't seen one that uses more than a 50 amp cord. Ours has popped the breaker several times at our current camp though. The converter did give us a cheater cord too.

The site you mention to shop for one is good, but remember that those are asking prices. The. Est thing to see is when someone realizes that for the same of less money they can spend on a new plastic coach that they can buy a used bus that will look and drive better for much longer!

Posted By: SRT on 03/25/12 07:45am

Think I'll stick with my rough riding all paid for, no slides and de-bugged F-53 V10......[emoticon]

Posted By: tropical36 on 03/25/12 09:16am

And all this time, I'm thinking that our P32 rides just fine. Boy, am I in trouble!... [emoticon][emoticon]

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Posted By: Sawbonz on 03/24/12 03:56pm

We opted for an older Prevost, and traded our newer Monaco in on it. There is NO comparison between the two.

They are a good bargain used. For the same price as a new Newmar you can get a used Prevost that will ride better, and for longer.

No one leases these things. We financed. Most pay cash.

We just got kicked out of our first Walmart. Stayed at a Cracker Barrel instead.

We are normal people with jobs. We don't act any different if you are in a Prevost or a popup.

Posted By: Jarlaxle on 02/18/12 06:02am

Quote:

The pictures are interesting...if you notice the front wheels, at least the driver's side, are raised up on a piece of 4x4. That means the front end is abit higher than normal. Looking at the height of the front end damage, it looks too low to have been a car that did the damage, although I guess not impossible. A deer certainly wouldn't do that kind of damage, I wouldn't think. I wonder what would sit so low, yet do so much damage? Any ideas?

Lowboy trailer, maybe? Or a a concrete K-rail?

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ">
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Posted By: wildmanbaker on 02/18/12 09:37am

Everyone keeps saying the Prevost is worth it, but what is the actual cost of an empty shell? I have been trying to find the cost of a new bus, the best I have been able to find, was a 2010, with less than 40,000 miles, for less than $400,000. This bus had full seats, overhead compartments, a toilet/sink, carpeting, dual pain windows, air, lights, and looked new, from the pictures. The real question is.... Does an empty shell really cost $700,000 with nothing inside it but a drivers seat?

Sure, if you spent 9 to 12 months a year on the road, the completed MH is probably worth it. As was mentioned, the upkeep may be very large. The Prevost web site stated many converters have come and gone, some good, and some not so good. They recommend researching the company before buying one. Most people that would be interested in these units, lease them, and for good reason.

Posted By: univmd on 02/18/12 09:49am

wildmanbaker wrote:

Everyone keeps saying the Prevost is worth it, but what is the actual cost of an empty shell? I have been trying to find the cost of a new bus, the best I have been able to find, was a 2010, with less than 40,000 miles, for less than $400,000. This bus had full seats, overhead compartments, a toilet/sink, carpeting, dual pain windows, air, lights, and looked new, from the pictures. The real question is.... Does an empty shell really cost $700,000 with nothing inside it but a drivers seat?

Sure, if you spent 9 to 12 months a year on the road, the completed MH is probably worth it. As was mentioned, the upkeep may be very large. The Prevost web site stated many converters have come and gone, some good, and some not so good. They recommend researching the company before buying one. Most people that would be interested in these units, lease them, and for good reason.

It depends on the numbers of slides, and whether the slides are super-slides.

Posted By: Jarlaxle on 02/18/12 01:58pm

I have driven Prevosts. I was rather unimpressed...the price premium seems to be mostly for the name! I preferred the MCI's (which just kept going, and going, and going, and going...) and the GMC PD4106 (earning it's keep to this day). After a long drive in a Prevost, I was sore & tired. After the same run in the 4106, I was ready to keep going!

Note: until they stopped building them, the builder of choice for entertainer coaches was the Eagle!

Posted By: frederick w on 02/18/12 05:19pm

Sorry; I can't afford 70 grand let alone 700 grand.

Fred with very shallow pockets, I mean no pockets.

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 02/18/12 07:01pm

frederick w wrote:

Sorry; I can't afford 70 grand let alone 700 grand.

Fred with very shallow pockets, I mean no pockets.

2x but I do think some get off on high end stuff and it is good because they help keep the money out of banks so it can keep changing hands.

Posted By: wildmanbaker on 02/19/12 11:07am

The show was interesting though, I was paying more attention to how they were constructing it than anything else. Did anyone else notice that the long front room slide was not level with the floor? It was electric, as were some drawers. The headliner install, cutting the wall for the slides, and all the other small details for constructing a MH, with the needed details. I was somewhat surprised to see that there were not any raceways for electrical, and water, that would be easily accessible.

Print  |  Close