RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How fast do you drive on highways in your class C?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> How fast do you drive on highways in your class C?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually drive about 60 on interstates. Seems a good compromise between speed and gas mileage. Pretty close to the posted speed limit on other roads with lower speed limits.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 08:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow a vehicle so we practice 5 mph over the posted speed limit for towing which varies from state to state. But our limit is 70mph regardless.

What's the hurry? It allows for relaxing mornings and evenings when the day's drive is done in less time. With limited vacation time and 5000 miles of driving to accomplish, something gives.....fuel economy. Still with our driving practices, our vacation average is a decent 9.2 mpg because of the B+ aerodynamics with angled wing walls, a lower roof, and only 9200 pounds of motor home.

Head wind is less influential.
[image]
If I ever retire having more time, then we would surely slow down to a max of 60mph. I look forward to that day.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

sonicsix

Jerry n' Cynthia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We go the speed limit, but never exceeding 60 MPH if the speed limit is higher. We're just not in a hurry.

oldtrucker63

Harlan Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

60 MPH is just right, Stay to the far right (Slow lane) If on a 3 lane hwy you should still stay right and move to the middle lane only to allow for on coming traffic to merge then move back to the right, Whatever you do don't never hold up a big Truck, He might have someone's RV parts inside the trailer and needs to deliver on time.[emoticon]

Without Trucks,....America Stop's

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When gas prices were under $2 I passed cars all the time --- now I let them pass me. These days I tend to stay in the slow lane and sick to around 55.

Kevin

fredandkathy

Johnstown, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I travel the speed limit, no matter what it is. I feel that slow moving vehicles are a hazard to others traveling the speed limit.

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, I feel safer moving at the speed limit or as close as possible. But I let car traffic pass wherever they can. Our rig has no problem pushing 75 but I prefer 65. Our limits here are 65 because we are urban. Up on 70 cross country it is 75. Maybe 10 south is 75 too now that I think of it.
I'd like to take the RV to Colorado this year. It will be interesting to see how it performs on the major highways and in the mountains. Going north to Flagstaff we tend to get into the slow lane and go up with the trucks.

2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We run at 55-60 MPH, maximum, at all times (if it's safe to travel that fast) on highways and freeways ... to get good gas mileage and stay more relaxed.

The OP stated:
Quote:

I put it at 65 and it seemed to hum along nicely but the V10 was really roaring at times.

For those of us using a Ford V10 based Class C, note that how fast the V10 is spinning for any given speed depends upon whether you have the E350 or E450 chassis. The differentials on these two chassis have different ratios. The E450's differential is geared lower, so the engine revs higher at any speed than will the engine in an E350. Traveling a bit slower with an E450 chassis than you would with an E350 chassis will keep engine noise a bit less in an E450.

I helped this situation out on our E450 Class C by recently installing a set of tires on it with a larger diameter than what it came with stock.

Maddawgs

central MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

55 to 65 and mostly 60 gets us the best mpg, stay in the middle lane as much as possible to allow others to pass.

Todd, Shirley, and the "Maddawgs" min-pins Precious and Buster Brown
2011 Itasca Cambria 30C
2011 Demco KarKaddy 460SS
TST 507 RV TPMS
"if there is anything left when we are gone, then we miscalculated"

rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ASPENMAN wrote:

With gas prices the way they are and will be getting worse - upwards to $5.00/gallon we'll keep our cruise control on 55-60!!!! We'll only travel 200-250 miles at a time so - no rush!!!! I'm part Native American and I always say
"Don't worry be HOPI"

Hey! That's my line.

Don't worry, Be Hoppe!

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> How fast do you drive on highways in your class C?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.