|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 675w Solar Installed w/Pictures

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

piano, I knew you would catch that [emoticon]

No the battery connections are not balanced. That is where the premade 4/0 wire landed. I don't intend to replace the cables to balance it. There might be a way to move the connections around but it is fine until these batteries get replaced. They have 6 years on them as is.

What I really should have done is moved the propane to the right and batteries to the left. Again, maybe when the batteries come out.

I don't plan to run the batteries down to test but as charged it took less than a minute to go 12.7 to 14.6v in the noon sun.

The whole thing might be more hobby than necessity. Reminds me I need to switch off the converter as it should no longer be needed.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi smk,

Yes, you could balance the wiring easily, and at zero cost, other than a tiny bit of labor.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

renoman69

Edmonton Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice clean install! 3 questions. I see the main catastrophic fuse how many amps is it? Is the fuse in the CC line a maxi fuse? I like the holder. What is the circuit breaker off to the right of the batts for? My only comment is that it looks like you have your panels attached with only 4 wood screws. Did you get them in the roof joists? If not I would be a bit worried about losing them while driving. Those are big panels and it looks like there is quite a bit of room under them for the wind to get under. Over all a very nice job.

2009 Jayco Eagle Superlite 25.5RKS
2008 Silverado 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax/Allison
Reese 15K slider
Honda EU2000I,
270 watts of Kyocera solar
Blue Sky 3024i MPPT controller
450 AHs of Trojan power
Iota DLS-75/IQ4 converter

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Renoman, Yes that is a 70 amp maxi fuse, Blue-Sea holder. You do need to remove the snap on cover and loosen the two screws to release the fuse so it is not quite as convenient as a fuse holder that just uses friction.

Circuit breaker to the right is 80 amp protecting #4 wire to the main fuse panel. Most of the run is #2 from the effort to get WFCO into boost mode.

The rear panel has four screws. The front panels have six between them. They are stainless deck screws that I believe have more holding grip than a regular wood screw. Otherwise they are just in the plywood roof. The mount puts about 1.5" gap at the rail, maybe 3/4" in the panel center and 2" at the ends. Roof has more arch to it than I realized.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

renoman69 wrote:

I see the main catastrophic fuse how many amps is it?
Just to avoid confusion the big fuse connected to the 4/0 wire feeds the Prosine 1800 inverter off to the left. 250 amp class T fuse. Not part of the solar charging system or anything else.

Prosine burned up several years ago in Yellowstone. Now feeds a GoPower 2000 watt sine wave inverter.

* This post was edited 03/14/20 11:14pm by time2roll *

cruz-in

Southern Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could ou elaborate on the rail mounting system. What parts did you use? Where did you get them? How are the panels attached to the rails? etc.

Looking for how to mount mine and would like to use the same approach.

2011 Monaco Vesta
Interesting Coach
This particular one was the prototype.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is a 1" square bar from OSH. HD, Lowes, Ace has it too. Comes in 8' length. I used two bars to mount the pair and cut a bar in half for the single panel.

The single I assembled on the ground and slid up as a unit. Too heavy for the pair so it was drilled and assembled on the roof.

Stainless bolt through to the panel. 1/4 x 1.5" IIRC. SS washer and nyloc nut.

The foot is made with more aluminum stock. The larger C-channel is a bit harder to find. I bought a 2' section at OSH and cut to size.

Between the deck and foot is a neoprene fender washer available at ACE. 2" or 2.5" diameter. Deck screw is stainless #10 x 2.5", the plastic insert for the end is also from ACE hardware. End cap is very important to keep the sharp edges of the aluminum bar off the membrane when tipping over or moving around. Looks nice too.

And of course a big generous dab of Dicor right before pushing the deck screw in.

Couple more pics might give more perspective.

[image]

[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 08/29/17 10:00pm by time2roll *

watchthebox

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job on your solar installation! That should keep your batteries nicely charged. How's is your inverter working out? What do you have it powering?

2008 Ford F-250 6.4 PSD, Curt Mfg. 20K Q5 & R5
2011 Heartland Cyclone 3010

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prosine 1800 is flawless. Powers the microwave and one added outlet in the kitchen. Only downside has been it draws about 2 amps at idle.

I also have a small Go Power 300w SW wired in to power the rest of the convenience outlets. Much lower 260 milliamp draw can be left on without worry.

Idle draw should be less of an issue with the solar. [emoticon]

Prosine died a couple years ago now. Replaced with GoPower 2000 SW and all works great again.

* This post was edited 08/29/17 10:06pm by time2roll *

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It has an on/off switch. Just turn it off when not using.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 675w Solar Installed w/Pictures
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.