|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Rebuilding my 1981 Sunline 17.5SB

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
U.P. BLDR

Upper Peninsula of Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pasusan wrote:

The crown in your rafters is great - should've been that way in the beginning. Are you planning on using Eternabond? I would use that on all the roof seams and around all roof penetrations to prevent any future leaks.

Good job - thanks for sharing!

Not using Eternabond, would break my budget. I've re-installed all terminations using putty tape and Dicor self leveling sealant. Will be coating the whole thing with white elastomeric metal roof coating soon. It won't leak, and I have a roof to keep it under when not in use.

As you can see I found a TV antenna, brand new, got a smokin deal on it.

1981 Sunline 17 1/2SB - under construction
2003 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD 4x4 4.7lt

U.P. BLDR

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wasn't going to gut the back end, as it appeared solid and no signs of leaking, yet I decided to build a permanent bed back and a bunk above that so I removed all the cabinets and stuff. Found some rot in the back corner of the floor and as I've said before, one thing leads to another. Before you know I had the floor pulled up and the back half gutted.

U.P. BLDR

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I had access to the taillights, I decided to rewire them. The PO had butchered the wiring in attempts to fix them, then abandoned the stock lights and installed new lights on the bumper. Total hack job with wires strung up under the camper. Turned out there was only burnt fuses underneath the front bench. I don't think he knew they were there. Regardless I pulled new wire and while I was at it installed new running lights and got them all working.

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go UPbldr! You're really doing a class job on the Sunline and these older trailers are worth the effort, IMO. It will probably weigh more than a new one but that's only because it has more quality materials installed. If you can source some cheap double pane wimndows, it is worth the time to replace the jalousie types. It made a huge difference in my Starcraft. I used a door side light for the longer front (had it laying in the stack) and bought two vinyl sliders that were on sale.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rrev

Beatrice, NE

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice build. My son, who's only 9 right now, wants to go to trade school for building construction. I was joking with him about doing this same type of thing when he gets old enough for his own trailer and he loved the idea!!! Keep posting pictures. He loves it.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 06:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rrev wrote:

Nice build. My son, who's only 9 right now, wants to go to trade school for building construction. I was joking with him about doing this same type of thing when he gets old enough for his own trailer and he loved the idea!!! Keep posting pictures. He loves it.

rrev our kids were 9 when they asked for a MH and got it. They started doing repairs shortly there after and today at 14 have a lot of skill sets under their belts.

Slayerman

Calgary, Alberta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to see your post of how your rebuild is coming along...

Keep up the awesome work..

You and Westend are great at what you do.. Amazing talent..

Can't wait till the next set of photos and update of all te work.

S.

My Website: Alberta Campsites
My Blog: RvBlogs.net

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche
2012 Shadow Cruiser 280QBS

Drbolasky

Allentown, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sunline owners are a tight-knit bunch; Sunline built a great product and I'm glad to see you're keeping one of their older units on the road. I still miss our old '83 Sunline. The guy I sold it to has done NOTHING with it; I'm sorely tempted to buy it back but I can't handle such a big project at the moment.

Keep the pix coming.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew
08 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 6 sp. Auto, 4.30 Rear, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors

rrev

Beatrice, NE

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gale Hawkins wrote:

rrev wrote:

rrev our kids were 9 when they asked for a MH and got it. They started doing repairs shortly there after and today at 14 have a lot of skill sets under their belts.

That's how my son is too. I paint cars for a living, have a mowing business on the side, and work on anything and everything. My son is right there with me doing everything too. Including running his own mower. It's great to see them develop skills like this. He even made me up my Dish Network package so he can watch DIY. His favorite channel by the way.

Perrysburg Dodgeboy

Perrysburg, Ohio USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 09:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look like you doing a great job and moving along at a good rate.

Can I ask why you didn't use expanding foam insulation? I would think it would help seal out water better then fiberglass batting. Also doesn't it have a higher R Value and better sound deadening properties over fiberglass?

Don

On Sunday Jan. 26,2014 Toledo Fire department lost two Hero's in a fire.
God Speed Privates Stephen Machcinski and James Dickman. We will take it form here my Brothers.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Rebuilding my 1981 Sunline 17.5SB
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS