RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Narrowing it down.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Narrowing it down.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
scott1

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/12 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

But one thing is clear, needs to be white, those DO GET the best mpg, as the paint coloring is slightly less wt than the other colors. Red is the worst, as it is the heaviest, and cops notice red more than other colors, so they pull them over more!

Marty

LOL!!! Boy, good thing I want a white one. Too funny!

bmanning

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/12 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

Scott,

......at the end of the day, you have to fit in the seat, like how the wheel feels on you hand. dash is set up, controls with in reach of YOUR arms/hands etc...
Marty

Interiors are big with me; it's the only reason I probably lean Ford over Chevy & Dodge, BUT I have not sat in a new Dodge with the redesigned interior yet.

A buddy of mine who sells truck puts it an interesting way-- a Ford is like sitting in an office, a Chev/GM is like sitting in a living room. I suppose I like offices, LOL!

BManning
baking in Phoenix
-2008 F250 XLT 4x4/CC/SB
5.4L 300/365 V8 Torqshift 4.30AAM
9400lb GVW 11200lb tow
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/12 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now, now Marty. You more than anyone knows we can't be selling things here (208-555-1212 for great land deals). It is like numeral uno rule (208-555-1212 for great land deals) followed by political commentary (208-555-1212 for great land deals) and religion. Of course profanity ranks up there pretty high also (208-555-1212 for great land deals).

So if I was selling the Dodge to OP I certainly would (208-555-1212 for great land deals) have left off the MPG part Oh yeah I did forget to mention its a little slower.
In reality it don't really matter to me what truck anyone buys, I like them all. Just giving my opinion. Wheres that plug.... ah here it is (208-555-1212 for great land deals).

Here's a really great article OP from pickup trucks dot com. It will give you the MPG of each truck during the tests.

The hurt locker
As I said mileage will vary just like seats and a$$'s.
(208-555-1212 for great land deals)
Just kidding that ain't my number.

LOL just so happens the red truck won. Go figure the LEO is right!

06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
GVWR 12,200 RAWR 9350
06 Grand Junction 34' High profile 15500 GVWR 3200 pin Mor/ryde 5500 Onan genny Dual A/C Wet bolts
27' Hallett 502, 500HP

Huntindog

phoenix arizona USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/12 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scott1 wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

Asking about MPGs here is pointless. There are so many varibles in load,speeds, terrain, and driver types along with the tendancy for some to inflate their figures.

The best way is to read some of the tests, that attempt to minimize the variables.

Now having said that, take into account performance. The GMs have a lot more power and will nmove a load up a hill a lot faster than a Dodge....but that takes more fuel. I haven't seen a test that wasn't performance orientated. IE: Pulling a load up a hill at a set speed to measure fuel efficiency.

It is pretty much accepted fact that DEF trucks produce more power and better MPGs. Even Dodge is toning down their anti DEF talk as they are about to go to DEF themselves.

I disagree that it is pointless. The guys that have these vehicles are using them so it is a real world test. The tests are just that tests and in a lot of ways not real world. Yeah I suppose guys could lie but I don't see what the advantage would be for them. My take is that the more data points I can get the better and hopefully by doing that I will be happy with whatever decision I make.

Well then, let me put it another way. Over on the TT forum, battery life is often a hot topic....The thing is you may get 5 years out of the same battery that I can barely get a year out of...I am a very heavy user...You may not be. So everyone elses testimonials mean nothing to me as it is very unlikely that their usage mirrors mine.

And yes people do fudge their MPG reports all the time. The advantage is it makes them feel good. Or in some cases they believe what the DIC says, or they just can't figure it themselves. etc.

The advantage of tests ( and yes there have been some very good real world ones lately) is that they attempt to test each truck under the same conditions.

Where one cannot rely on them is in MPGs..If one truck pulls 10 tons up a hill in 10 minutes and gets 10MPGs,,,,it really can't be compared to another pulling the same load up the same hill in 12 minutes getting 11 MPGs.

There is a old saying "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

If the first truck simply slowed down, to the second trucks speed, it could likely get the better MPGs.

Huntindog
2010 Palomino Sabre 30BHDS
TWO bathrooms...No waiting!
MICHELIN XPS RIBS LRE
2011 Silverado Big Dually 3500 4x4 CC D/A
EQUALIZER Hitch
100% BOONDOCKING
Check out Rusty and her pups at www.bluecollarbrittanys.com

scott1

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/12 08:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well took the wife with me today to truck shop as she hadn't look at these trucks yet and I wanted to get her opinion and input too. Drove the Dodge first. Dodge seems to have the roomiest interiror and I think is actually nicer than the GMC overall in terms of storage and features, wife agreed. Seat in the Dodge wasn't as comfortable as the GMC though. Seat heater in the Dodge didn't work as well as the one in the GMC. Love the cooled seats in both however. Man how spoiled we have become! The Dodge seemed to have a bit of a shudder when we took off from a stoplight. Noticed that several times-not sure I like that. Also the Dodge rode a little rougher than the GMC. In my abbreviated test drives I reset the trip mileage readings and noticed the GMC got about 2.5 mpgs better. Not a scientific test by any means but it was the best I could do. The Dodge was at 14.1 vs 16.7 for the GMC.
Anyway I appreciate the input from all here. I think given the fact that the GMC rides nicer and is more comfortable and gets better fuel mileage I will start the bid process on that vehicle come Monday. I guess we are getting old as comfort sure matters more than it would have 20 years ago!

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/12 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Egad... Any day now, people are going to be asking for a third piece in their RV bathrooms...

Then the portable slide out hot tub...

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/12 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Well then, let me put it another way. Over on the TT forum, battery life is often a hot topic....The thing is you may get 5 years out of the same battery that I can barely get a year out of...I am a very heavy user...You may not be. So everyone elses testimonials mean nothing to me as it is very unlikely that their usage mirrors mine.

Let me guess, you are in arizona where the batteries are exposed to intense heat in summer?

That is the killer, plus cycles.

Perrysburg Dodgeboy

Perrysburg, Ohio USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/12 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Are you talking about your trailer batteries or vehicle?

If it's the trailer batteries then make sure the RV dealer is not putting in automotive batteries. Automotive batteries are not designed to be drained dead, you need a marine/rv battery.

Not sure what the Arizona heat has to do with the life of a battery though. I'm sure the battery manufacturers take heat into consideration when they design a battery.

Don

Don

On Sunday Jan. 26,2014 Toledo Fire department lost two Hero's in a fire.
God Speed Privates Stephen Machcinski and James Dickman. We will take it form here my Brothers.

Eric727

Denwood ,Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/12 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i had to do that choice betwen the big 3 and dodge win.

better interior (longhorn vs king ranch and denali )
realy like the exterior of the 2010 to 2012 series
realy like the exaust brake
all the goodies of the dodge
the price was about $20 000 cheaper for the dodge at that time (free diesel)
better waranty
mpg is fine but i live in flat area either towin or not

better interest rates

but all 3 are realy good truck and will do the job just fine .

you cant be wrong on that choice so have fun this summer !!

2012 Ram 3500 Longhorn/Crew Cab/DRW
2010 ram 1500 TRX4 (trade for the longhorn)
2012 Lacrosse 318BHSS
2008 trail lite crossover(trade for the 318BHSS)

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/12 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can I still get one like this?

http://healthyhomeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/100_32541.jpg

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Narrowing it down.
Search:   Advanced Search