|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Oil Changes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MontereyBruce

Pacific Grove, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/02 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info on oil changing on F53 V10.
Some replies mentioned the grease fittings. Can I use a hand-gun with a tube of axle grease on those fittings? I recently had a local auto shop change the oil in our rig (cost over $100), but I don't think they greased any fittings. I only asked for an oil and filter change--didn't even think about the grease!

*This Message was edited on 10-Jun-02 07:32 PM by SeaViewBruce*

Bruce & Sharon
'04 Beaver Monterey 36'10"

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/02 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SeaViewBruce, Yes you can use a hand lube gun to lube your rig. I do my own and use Mobil 1 synthetic grease. The maintenance schedule in my owners manual calls for lubing the steering linkage at 15,000 mile intervals. No mention is made as to how often to lube the universal joints, but will do mine at about the same interval as the steering linkage.

C. Jim

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

GalenL

Atalissa,Iowa 52720 usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/03 11:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its pretty simpleto get under it and do it yourself.Don't need ramps,you can see everything.alot more room than under a car or truck-half hour to chang oil,filter and a greas job,probably save a ton of greenbacks.GL

"All that glitters is not gold-All who wander are not lost" GL. Monitor CB Ch. 13--rvers Channel.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/03 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce,

Yes, it would actually be BETTER if you are the one doing the greasing. You will learn where they all (so some are not missed)and most importantly will use the same grease every time. Greases are much less successfully mixed than are different brands of oil.

IF you choose not to do it yourself, make 10 copies of the page showing all the grease fitting locations and hand one to the TECHNICIAN (not service writer) doing the work. Tell him that that is HIS copy to use. If you show him the picture in a book, he well likely be reluctant to take it under your coach and chance getting it dirty.

As others have said, changing the oil is easier than with most cars, as there is room to get under it without jacking it up (well maybe enough to get clearance for the oil to miss the front axle). You can also do it when the engine is hot after a long drive so all the impurities are in suspension and come out. All you need is a container large enough to catch the oil. After you pour in the new oil, use a funnel and old coffee can and pour the used oil in the new oil containers. That makes it clean and easy to drop off for recycling. With my Cat diesel (21 quarts) I use a Rubbermade storage container lined with black plastic trash sacks-- I have yet to get any oil on the container itself.

Doing it yourself also affords you the opportunity to look around under your coach and likely notice other things such as leaks BEFORE they become major/expensive to repair.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

PUSHTOY

Everywhere USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/03 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My DP is very EZ to do the only problem was finding a container to hold 6 gals of oil.
I think you got a lot of very good answers.

GREG and LAUREN
2001 Endeavor 40FT. ISC 330
Dakota Quadcab 4x4 toad
FMCA 200924,GS Lifetime,CB.CH.13
Teamster Local 710 retired ">

dirko

Salt Lake City, UT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/03 04:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Ho: Try this trick: Use an awl or screwdriver and puncture the oil filter at the lowest place (with a catch pan underneath). Let the oil drain out and unscrew the filter. You can run the screwdriver through the other side and use it as a wrench if needed.

2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40QDH

GalenL

Atalissa,Iowa 52720 usa

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/03 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope that all of you people that pay that much to have your oilchanged remember me in your will.GL

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/03 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the price you can take a ride up here to Holland and go to our WalMart. They have a garage door that lets them take in MHs. A Mobil-1 change runs $39.00 and they get all the grease fittings. They have become my regular stop.

1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

William (Bill)

Shreveport , Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/03 01:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is messy isn't it. I was fairly clean until I started unscrewing the oil filter. Nice little trickle down the side of the filter and down my arm. I don't see how anyone can get it off cleanly. First time I've changed the oil. A little more planning will be done before the next. [emoticon]

2000 Allegro Bay 34' V10 gas
Banks Powerpack
95' Nissan Sentra with Remco lube pump
2004 Honda Pilot
Brake Buddy
Falcon 5250 Towbar

PUSHTOY

Everywhere USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/03 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My DP is very EZ to do the only problem was finding a container to hold 6 gals of oil.
I think you got a lot of very good answers.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Oil Changes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.