RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Recommendations on how to protect my tow vehicle.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Recommendations on how to protect my tow vehicle.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
SanDiegoScubaDiver

Temecula, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/12 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought a new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee last year to replace my 2000 Grand Cherokee. I had a Coastline cover for the old jeep that I felt did a great job protecting it while towing. Unfortunately, it does not fit the new body style of the 2011 and it appears Coastline Cover is now out of business.

Planning a big trip up to Yellowstone this summer and really do not want to ding the finish on the Jeep, as I would anticipate there will be stretches of roadway that may be under repair along the way.

Any suggestions on the best alternatives to protect the tow vehicle? I have seen Guardian, Protect-a-Tow, and a couple of other solutions, but not sure if there is another manufacturer of a front vehicle cover like Coastline Cover offered, or another recommendation.

As always, looking forward to feedback from the RV.Net community.

Derek, Lykke...
and Bo our Llewellin Setter who is the Commandant of the Rig!

2005 Jayco Seneca 35GS
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/12 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find I have less toad damage. Not using anything on the MH or toad for protection.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Ka Ron

Kelowna

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/12 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have towed our Sunfire since 2001 and have never used protection.

There is very little if any damage I can see caused by towing versus just regular driving.

Join Us For A Trip Down The RV Highway

mikim

Rancho Cucamonga, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drove by Coastline covers this morning and they are still in business. Their local phone number is 1 909 484 6592 and they are located on 6th Street in Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. I do not know why their web site is down.

cire

Roamin da USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 10:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't use a full width mud flap on your MH. Much of the air passing under the motorhome is forced under the mud flap. This causes the velocity of the air, right under the mud flap to be very high. This high velocity air will "lift" stones and other debris off the roadway and hurl them into the air.....Guess what many of the stones hit?

If you use a full width mud flap you should use some sort of secondary protection on your towed.

Behind the tire mud flaps are okay because there is not a high wind velocity immediately behind the tires. They also keep stones from being hurled from your tires.

Eric Perplies
full timing since 6/04 with best friend and wife: Suzie
1996 Bluebird Wanderlodge, 42'
towing a 99' Honda CRV with M&G braking system.

jimjr

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/12 06:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a full width flap just to the rear of the rear tires. There was a brush on the rear bumper when we bought the RV and that got trimmed shorter so it can't drag and flip stones. After towing about 20,000 miles the toad is chip free.

Don't let anyone sell you a bra for the toad. You'll get lots of scratches from the grit that vibrates under the bra.

Jim ----- SampsonAFBVet
Joyce --- Retired Teacher
Teddy our rescued Yorkie/Maltese
2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE, 2010 Honda Fit

tallyo

Fort Myers,Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cire wrote:

Don't use a full width mud flap on your MH. Much of the air passing under the motorhome is forced under the mud flap. This causes the velocity of the air, right under the mud flap to be very high. This high velocity air will "lift" stones and other debris off the roadway and hurl them into the air.....Guess what many of the stones hit?

If you use a full width mud flap you should use some sort of secondary protection on your towed.

Behind the tire mud flaps are okay because there is not a high wind velocity immediately behind the tires. They also keep stones from being hurled from your tires.

. I have had 3 MH's all with a full width flap on the back and have never had any damage to the toads...

Tallyo
2012 Phaeton 40 QBH
Freightliner, 6 spd Allison
2010 Chevy Equinox 2LT w/ Brake Buddy Vantage
Drinks-6, Eats-4, Sleeps-2
Semper Fi

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 11:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been towing with a hula skirt (2 different motorhomes and same toad) for quite a while not with no damage to the toad.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Recommendations on how to protect my tow vehicle.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS