|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Need new awning - canvas for four winds 5000

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
nadsab

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/12 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Can anyone recommend where to get a good deal on a replacement canvas for a four winds 5000?

Ours is the 23.5 foot long class C, on the GM chassis, year is 2003. The canvas looks to be 12 feet long.

Thanks for any info

2003 Four Winds Five Thousand, 21RB, 23.5', Chevy Express 3500 chassis

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/12 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gOOgle "rv awning canvas replacements" and you'll get lots of hits.

I think the proper measurement is arm centerline to arm centerline, so a 12-ft awning would have several inches less in canvas. Or, a canvas of 12-ft would be more like a "13-ft" awning.

What's wrong with yours? We took ours off, first pinning the shaft so the springs wouldn't unwind. Then we measured to canvas (vinyl-coated fabric, actually), cut it off straight, and sewed a new "weather edge" (the part that's exposed to the sun when the awning's retracted). Made it from TopGun boat cover material and it was pieced. Re-used original track cord, and it all slipped right back together.

Remember, only the first foot or so (from the coach) is exposed most of the awning's life. In many cases replacing that starts its life all over again.

It's about a three-person job to remove/reinstall the awning. Two on the arms and one on the slide track. And it took three to sew it. One on the machine and two to keep the rolled awning (still on the tube) moving as the sewing machine (commercial/sailmaker type) fed the material.

God Bless, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100

nadsab

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

j-d wrote:

What's wrong with yours?

At the edge of the canvas where it connects to the RV itself, the outer vinyl coating is flaking off and the fabric underlying that coating is just now starting to get mildew and mold.

rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New material from the internet search. $2-400?

What J-D says. A 'walking foot' upholstery machine is best. DO NOT use a household weight machine unless you don't want it anymore! The heavier material will have a tendency to break a household machine. I've done that kind of weight on my Singer 3115 Tailors machine. However it doesn't have the walking foot so the stitch line is inconsistent, and doesn't look as nice. The old 'black head' machines will handle the abuse, but the newer 'plastic' stuff, not so much.

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/12 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good candidate for replacing the edge. I was fortunate to have a volunteer with a commercial upholstery sewing machine. All we then needed was the space to handle the awning on its roller.
Key to getitng this plan to work is somebody who'll do the work (and maybe furnish he material) at a price close to what it's actually worth. Shops who don't want to help are likely to quote a price high enough that if it doesn't discourage you will make them happy to do it. That number could approach the cost of a new canvas.
Before you decide on a new canvas, look and see if the fabric slots go through the end caps. If they don't, you'll also have to unload the spring to get the cap off, then reload it after the fabric's in.

nadsab

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 07:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks much.

Anyone know any companies in SE Michigan or NW Ohio that does these kinds of canvas repairs if I were to bring it in? We have a sewing machine, but it is deninitely not the heavy duty type.

rehoppe

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Search for 'tent and Awing' shops. Also for 'marine, boat cover custom'. perhaps.

J-D

How much more trouble would it have been to take it off the roller? Sometimes it's not that much trouble. Then it's easier to do in a room less than a football field.

The last tent we worked on, we swept and washed the driveway, and moved the machine. PITA, but that was a squad tent.

* This post was edited 03/27/12 07:44am by rehoppe *

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/12 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hoppe,

We did ours in a church multi-purpose room so the machine was on some banquet tables and so was the awning/roller.

The idea of moving the sewing machine's great. How about rolling it on a mechanic's creeper or a mover's dolly?

I didn't think the awning would want to slide out of the track on the coach wall easily, but it did. To get it off the roller would have involved sliding it out of two tracks in the roller at once, so I don't know if that would have added difficulty or not.

To me, the issue is whether an end cap has to come off the roller tube to expose the tracks for the fabric to slide out of and back into. IIRC the A&E 8500 that we were repairing allowed access to the tracks through the caps. It also had holes in the caps and the shafts so I could pin the springs down and not have to deal with unwinding/rewinding. But our current CareFreeColorado awning has closed end caps. That would require either unwinding the spring and removing the cap/spring assembly filing access slots into one of the caps.

If a shop would commit to an economical edge replacement repair, I'd undertake sliding the fabric off the roller...even it meant unwinding a spring and taking an end cap off.

rehoppe

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

j-d wrote:

Hoppe,

We did ours in a church multi-purpose room so the machine was on some banquet tables and so was the awning/roller.

The idea of moving the sewing machine's great. How about rolling it on a mechanic's creeper or a mover's dolly?

The wheels won't work, as it's permanent home is in a spare bedroom in the house. Bummer,

On my old beast (3115). You just take the belt off. Lift the head out of the Power Table and set it aside. Two people pick up the Power Table and walk it to the New Work area. One goes and gets the head 70# or so, while the other plugs in the power.

On the bottom of the table it is stenciled. WPA Casper Wyo..... It's been around, I guess. At least old enough to drink anyway!

Oh yes, and don't forget the cone of thread, the Thread Rack is mounted on the table, beside the Bobbin Winder. Best $125, I ever spent. But I'd still like to have a walking foot machine! I'm just too cheap to buy one, so I have to make do with this one.

* This post was edited 03/27/12 07:43pm by rehoppe *

rehoppe

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And I'd like to have one with a 'long arm', and with Reverse, and with zig zag stitch option,

I don't want much that'd only be a couple or three grand..... Never mind.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Need new awning - canvas for four winds 5000
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS