|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Loading A Weighted Down Truck Camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Roadlover

Petoskey, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/12 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I used up all my vacation time during the month of February to visit the Everglades and the Keys, I'm sort of out of luck for the the rest of the year. But my wife has still has oodles of time left so she wants to spend about 10 days or so at a local CG where I can still commute to work. My problem is, I still need my truck for daily use.

I understand that is suppose to be the beauty of having a truck camper and many people do take it off their truck while camping but after about 10 days at a CG with water hook up, I know my gray and black water tanks are going to full and very heavy when lifting it up to load back onto my truck to empty and take home.

I'm know I'm still relatively new to the truck camper lifestyle and have yet to shirk off the nervousness I get when I see that camper sitting so high off the ground when loading her up on the truck. And that is with empty tanks and unpacked. But with the camper weighted down with all out stuff and tanks full of water, I have a feeling my anxiety level is going to be off the charts.

So my question is, am I over reacting or do I have reason to be concerned.

Thanks

"The Journey is the Destination"

2004 Chevy Silverado 3500 LT Duramax/Allison DRW 4X4
Banks Powerpack, Sprayed-In Bed Liner,
TorkLift Tiedowns, StableLoads, FastGuns with Locks and RideRite Air Bags

2012 Arctic Fox 1150 with Dry Bath and Fox Landing

iwon415

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That water weight is only a small percentage of total weight to those jacks. They won't notice a little extra water weight.

TimH

jimmcpm

Ypsilanti Township

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could get a portable dump tank. A guy camping next to us had one. He just hooked ot to his bumper hitch and drove it to the dump station.

2005 Travel Lite 700 Sport
2010 F-150 4x4, 5.4L, Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks, Hellwig Swaybar and Firestone Airbags

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The other question is - if your wife has an unlimited water and electricity supply for the 10 days, could you be at risk of finding that at least your grey tank is full long before that (after a few long luxurious showers for example).

Steve.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'92 Suzuki Samurai 4x4 1.6
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2
'10 Citroen DS3 1.6 turbo

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 02:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also consider that the waste tanks are usually near the rear of the camper. With the overhang and typical forward COG, the front jacks already carry most of the weight. Adding more to the rear jacks isn't going to be a problem.

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shouldn't be a problem, unless your tanks are not mounted to the camper in a way that allows them to be full while off the truck.

If that is the case, choose a camp ground with on-site hook-ups, so you can keep the tanks draining into the campground sewer system. Or, use a portable tank to dump into ever so often and take it to the central dumping location at the campground.

As far as lifting the camper, the jacks will do it, provided they are in good condition and properly mounted to the camper (no rotted out corners barely holding the jacks on).

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

Chief 2

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 04:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have lifted my 1181 a number of times with nearly full tanks, but don't like it. If she is going to be at a campground would they not have sewer hook ups? If not, maybe they have a honey wagon service where you could get pumped out when full.

2005 Lance 1181 Loaded
2005 Chevy 3500 4X4 Duramax, Edge Attitude Tuner, 5" Exhaust, Airaid, Ranchos, Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig
2007 38RL3 Mobile Suite
2001 Bass Tracker 185

wcjeep

Tacoma, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 05:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If she has full hookups she could leave the fresh water tank mostly empty. She could also dump tanks every 2 or 3 days. Don't forget some sort of system for camper support while off the truck. This will ease the jack strain and remove the wobble.

Pete_k

Stantonville Tn

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never been an issue with ours and we have 54 fresh, 41 grey and 18 black never been an issue even with all of them full. 2 of us get 4 days on these tanks. That 2 showers a day and bathroom breaks.

Pete

2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2008 Lund 1825 Pro Guide Tiller, With a Evinrude 90 HP E-Tec
Live near Pickwick Dam and the Tn river

campn4walleye

Central WI

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THAT is a great question! So glad to hear that someone else is nervous. I never even thought about it. I guess ignorance is bliss.

Oh well, I'll think of something else.

2011 Adventurer 910FBS,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD, 4x4, LB,CC,6 speed auto,3.73 axle, General 17" on/off road
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Loading A Weighted Down Truck Camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS