Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Leveling jacks on class C

Posted By: judelaurenzo25g on 03/28/12 05:39pm

Im curious as to how many "C" owners actually have leveling jacks. How much would they cost to install?

Thanks

A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

Posted By: beachball42 on 03/28/12 05:51pm

I do not have leveling jacks. I haven't seen any with them when I walk around so I don't know how common they are. What I did was build some ramps that I carry with me and have never had a problem.

Don't know how true this is but when I bought our MH three years ago I asked about leveling jacks and they dealer told me not to put them on as they can twist the frame and cause problems. He said that "C's" weren't really designed to have them. I know you can get them but I've just never have had a problem that my homemade ramps can't solve.

Posted By: ASPENMAN on 03/28/12 05:53pm

I've had Big Foot levelors installed on my 31' NEXUS RV. The levelors and installation was under $3000. IMHO well worth it.

BLOGS:
http://rvpainter.blogspot.com
http://art4rvs.blogspot.com
31' Class C NEXUS Phantom 4/4/12
Pressure Pro TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS/Surge

WiFi Ranger Mobile
Cab over entertainment center

Posted By: judelaurenzo25g on 03/28/12 05:58pm

beachball42 wrote:

What I did was build some ramps that I carry with me and have never had a problem.

Can I get a picture of the ramps you built?

Posted By: bukhrn on 03/28/12 05:58pm

I've seen a few C's with stabilizer jacks, but Not with leveling jacks, although I do know that you can get them.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Posted By: judelaurenzo25g on 03/28/12 06:07pm

ASPENMAN wrote:

I've had Big Foot levelors installed on my 31' NEXUS RV. The levelors and installation was under $3000. IMHO well worth it.

Are these the one levelers your have? clicky

Posted By: fredandkathy on 03/28/12 06:10pm

I have Big Foot Levelers on my Granite Ridge. I will never have another MH without them.

Posted By: Eyegor on 03/28/12 06:41pm

no levelers or stabilizers for me.The normal play of the suspension doesn't bother me and I currently carry around a small lumberyard for leveling. Hoping to pick up some legos this spring.

87 Mallard Sprinter 24' Class C Ford E350 w/460 gas "The Runny Duck"
Shiny side up, Rubber side down.

Posted By: beachball42 on 03/28/12 06:43pm

Sure, I just brought my MH to the house tonight. I'll take a picture of the ramps in the morning and send. I found the instructions to build them in a post on here three years ago.

Found these similar instructions via a Google search. I did not use dry wall screws and I did not paint the wood. I made a total of four ramps. They can get a bit heavy.

Materials List
1 - 10 foot, untreated (I'll explain later) 2" x 10"
12 - 1-1/2" Dry Wall Screws
Good Quality Waterproof Paint

Construction
Cut the first piece to 3 1/2 feet long, with a 45 degree bevel at one end. Cut the second piece to 2 1/2 feet long, again with a 45 degree bevel at one end and cut the third piece to 1 1/2 feet long and bevel one end to 45 degrees.
Stack the 2 1/2 foot piece on top of the 3 1/2 foot base, line up the sides and the butt ends and attach using 8 drywall screws spaced two across and evenly distributed (make sure the screws are countersunk into the piece to avoid tire damage). Stack the 1 1/2 foot top ramp at the top of the stack, line up the sides and the butt ends and attach with 4 drywall screws, again, countersunk. Sand thoroughly to remove any splintered surfaces and protect with a good quality waterproof paint.
Properly constructed and with reasonable care, this ramp will last a lifetime.

Note: I do not recommend using treated lumber to build your ramp. Treated lumber is soaked in arsenic or other hazardous preservatives to slow decay and/or discourage infestation by termites and

* This post was last edited 03/28/12 07:06pm by beachball42 *

Posted By: Tothill on 03/28/12 07:01pm

Mobi is 27 feel long and we level using Lego and a couple pieces of wood. Never had any issues with getting level.

We have a couple stabilizing jacks but rarely use them.

We do not have any slides.

Posted By: Jim Shoe on 03/28/12 07:17pm

I have HWH levelers on my "C". They don't twist the frame. They only operate in pairs. Left pair, right pair, front pair, back pair. The control panel in the cockpit tells you which button to push, and you hold it until that light goes out. Then push the next button until the light goes out. That usually does it. But if not, keep pushing the indicated button until all are out. Power off - you're done. I wouldn't leave home without them.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Posted By: rjstractor on 03/28/12 07:20pm

I've had them on my rig since I bought it in 2001. Don't worry about twisting the frame. Even if you fully extend just one jack (which only an idiot would do intentionally) you won't stress the frame any more than driving the rig (think of how much twisting happens on driveway approaches, etc). I have done leveling with blocks and ramps in the pouring rain, and I have also leveled by sitting in the driver's seat pushing buttons. Both work well, but I know which one I like better. I'll never own a motorhome that doesn't have levelers.

2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Posted By: CloudDriver on 03/28/12 07:26pm

We have 2 sets of the lego blocks from WalMart. We find that we seldom need them as most sites are level enough to keep the refrigerator happy. I built a set of wood ramps out of 2X10 boards, 3 boards high for use in the driveway at home. Much too heavy to even consider taking with us and would take up too much storage space as well.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450">

Posted By: golfknut on 03/28/12 07:33pm

We have Big Foot levelers on our Granite Ridge.......love them.

2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3513

Posted By: Replant on 03/28/12 07:42pm

Jim Shoe wrote:

I have HWH levelers on my "C". They don't twist the frame. They only operate in pairs. Left pair, right pair, front pair, back pair. The control panel in the cockpit tells you which button to push, and you hold it until that light goes out. Then push the next button until the light goes out. That usually does it. But if not, keep pushing the indicated button until all are out. Power off - you're done. I wouldn't leave home without them.

My MH has HWH levelers. They worked once when I tested them and the rig has been sitting in my driveway for 17 months. They balked then and now the lights don't even come on. It could be a bad ground somewhere. After I fix that I'll have to work on the cruise control. That should be fun.

Posted By: azpete on 03/28/12 07:44pm

hwh makes leveling systems for almost all minni homes. camping world can do the install or sell you the kit for diy guys.

Posted By: triple602 on 03/28/12 07:46pm

My 24" Bigfoot class C had stabilizer jacks.
My 36' Jayco Seneca had levelers.
One of the first purchases for my new 31" Winnie Access will be levelers as I've become spoiled.

I'm in CA so labor rates are on the high end. I have quotes from $950 - $1500 to install the Bigfoot Quad Pump automatic system which runs $3460. The manual leveling system is about $2450.

Posted By: demoon on 03/28/12 10:02pm

Had HWH kick down levelers on our 31 foot class c. Worked perfectly and it was the best addition we made to the rig. The newer jack systems are designed to minimize frame torque. They only operate in pairs - 2 front - 2 rear - 2 left or 2 right. It is actually easier to stress the frame with "ramps" if you raise one corner much higher than any other.

Posted By: navegator on 03/29/12 01:05am

We have a 24' C, Ford, I purchased a pair of aluminum curved ramps, to use when we stay overnight, or a couple of days. If we stay for longer periods, I deploy pair of sisior jacks, I installed them on the back end, half way between the gas tank, and the rear gray water tank.

If the long stay site, is really out of level, I also have another pair of sisor jacks, that I place at the front, those are not permanent, since that part of the chasis, is a crumple zone, that I do not want to ruin, I have seen a C, that had this set up, welded to the frame, I will not weld on the frame, the rear's are bolted on.

I purchased a set of yellow legos, and one set was completlly destroyed, camping in the mountains, really cold weather makes them to brittle, spent one and a half hours, picking frozen plastic, at a national park.

10 yeras of using the sisior jacks, and the frame is not twisted, it would have twisted, a long time ago, just driving into, and out of gas stations.

Be level, use a bubble

Navegator

Posted By: psw757 on 03/29/12 06:13am

We have the Bigfoot automatic leveling system on our 2011 31 ds greyhawk. About 3500 installed and work great!

Posted By: JohnRN on 03/29/12 04:26am

Sorry, but nothing but trouble with my HWH levelers! I am a stickler with maintenance so that is not the issue. HWH is not always easy to get help from - unlike Fantastic. Numerous parts have been repaired, tested, and replaced but I still have issues with two of the jacks. I have given up and use other means to level the MH.

John & Susan
Wilmington, DE
2003 Coach House Platinum 270XL

Posted By: Kamphiker on 03/29/12 06:49am

Here is a source for Bigfoot both new & refurbished looks like decent pricing.

levelers need to be mounted on the truck frame & not the house frame to prevent frame wracking.

The bigfoot levelers appear to take much less required room for the reservoir / electronics etc. than other systems I have looked at in the past. Would love to have levelers, just don't want to give up any storage areas.

2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

Posted By: rehoppe on 03/29/12 07:00am

Like most 'c' owners, my rig does not have levelers. This may be changing, but I've not had them so can't really relate to using them. Most CG sites are level enough that it's no big deal to level with the lego style plastic blocks.

Not saying they wouldn't be Great to have, however. Especially if you were going to be boondocking and moving frequently.

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

Posted By: ASPENMAN on 03/29/12 07:01am

My Big Foot system is the automatic one, not the manual - costs a tad more but I like the auto feature.

Posted By: Maddawgs on 03/29/12 07:22am

Pull in to your site, unhook your toad, push a button that automatically levels (and stabilizes) your motorhome, hook up your water, electric, and sewer, and open your slides. Total set up time 10 to 15 minutes from parking to sitting and relaxing. Could not be easier. Our fully automatic HWH levelers were a 3400 option on the Cambria when we had it built and I think it was money well spent.
Todd

Todd, Shirley, and the "Maddawgs" min-pins Precious and Buster Brown
2011 Itasca Cambria 30C
2011 Demco KarKaddy 460SS
TST 507 RV TPMS
"if there is anything left when we are gone, then we miscalculated"

Posted By: beachball42 on 03/29/12 09:25am

Well I can't figure out how to post the link or the picture.

Here is the url if you want to copy and paste into your browser of the ramp I built using the instructions I posted.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7042/7026928377_aa579fc3f2_m.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7071/6880831488_319a9afb15_m.jpg

Posted By: rehoppe on 03/29/12 11:38am

To do link; use the 'advanced post' above the fast reply. Click on the "link" button.

Posted By: beachball42 on 03/29/12 01:22pm

Let's see if this works. This should be a photo of the ramp I built.

Posted By: Dave n Holly on 03/29/12 03:08pm

Just had Bigfoots installed on my Class C in White Pigeon Michigan Last week at Quadra's Shop............

Heading out this weekend for my First Effortlessly Leveled Stabilized Camp!!

2009 Coachman Freedom Express 31
2009 Ford E450 Super Duty Triton V-10
">
Quadra Bigfoot Auto Levelers

Posted By: triple602 on 03/29/12 07:53pm

For those that have Bigfoots, how far down do they hang when retracted?

Posted By: pjhootch on 03/29/12 09:36pm

We have a WB31C with no levelers. We use the lego blocks and it works in most situations. I wasn't interested in the added weight while traveling.

P.J.

2006 Winnebago Outlook 31C

Posted By: psw757 on 03/30/12 06:12am

triple602 wrote:

For those that have Bigfoots, how far down do they hang when retracted?

They hang down a couple of inches. It is actually deceiving when looking at them, it seems like they hang more than a couple inches but you need to figure out where the lowest spot on the rv is and measure from there.

I have never had an issue with the hanging except my driveway apron is a bit steeper than normal and then my driveway goes down hill. The front pair will just barely nick the ground when I'm heavy. I put down a sheet of plywood and no problem.

I really like the system, 4 individual reservoirs, virtually no maintenance other than a shot of dry silicone every few months and the system installed weighs around 250lbs or so I was told.

Posted By: rvten on 03/30/12 07:53am

I have leveling jacks. Would not have a MH without them. Mine are HWH.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Posted By: dgf79 on 03/30/12 05:24pm

Just ordered a Big Foot system. Having it factory installed in May when we head West. I've always used blocks of wood - looking forward to pushing a button to level! I'll let you know how it works.

Life is a journey - not a destination!

2009 Winnebago 24VR
Ford E450, 6.8L V10

Posted By: travisc on 04/01/12 07:13am

We did a year of camping with our 24' Winnebago Access- after deciding to take it to Alaska we installed Solar Panel and Leveling jacks-- now when we stop at a site set ups is easy- we rarely require anything other then water and dumping.

Leveling happens at a push of a button- wet campsites- no problem- get out a small pad toss it under the rigs- at 24' we don't have a lot of storage so we paid for it but are very happy.

Winnebago Access 24V

Print  |  Close