RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Camping in the bed of my pick-up ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camping in the bed of my pick-up ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
LoveMyPick-up

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 11:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hey thanks again for your suggestions and comments. i like all of what i have been reading.... and the pictures are great.

i especially love the trick of closing the corners of the tarp in the truck doors.

thanks so much.

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 12:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty big stretch of the imagination to have this thread left in the TC forum and not be moved by now and be 3 pages.

JimBollman

Upstate NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're camping in the back of a truck, so where else would it belong. Just a minimalist approach.

Jim...

realter

Eastern NE

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just don't SLEEPWALK while sleeping in the bed of your truck, that first step in the dark is a killer.

Farmerjon

Niangua, missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sounds like you have come up with a good solution.
I used to camp in the back of my 56 chevy by bolting a wooden frame together using the stake pockets to hold the uprights and tying a tarp over it. during a heavy rain it wasn't fun but for dry weather it worked great.

00 F350 SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3 PSD 6sp 3.73 DIY stable loads
99 Starcraft 953
87 F250 460 4x4 4sp 4.11 ex cab 8ft
95 jeep YJ 4cyl 5sp
69 f250 360 4sp

Photog101

Garden City, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A long time ago, I used a tarp with three PVC pipes that fit into the stake pockets. I used it for for those quick weekend runs to go sport-chuting. I'd usually have to drive 1000 miles or so to get to a jump site and when I got there, I could throw it up in a few minutes and get some sleep before the next day's jumps. Later I found a Sportz Truk Tent that had plenty of room for myself and my gear. I would set it up before I left, with everything inside of it and then collapse it into the bed and cover it with my tonneau cover. When I got to the airport, I pulled back the cover and set it up, blow up the air mattress withthe battery powered pump, on cold days I would even have heat and usually within less time than to build the old tarp system it was ready to go.

Video of interior of Truk Tent.

Available through Sportsman Guide

Combat Vietnam Veteran Support our troops for serving our great country.
1997 Veri Lite RL1200 on a '02, K3500, CC, DRW, 8.1L, Allison, 4.1 gears, Bridgestone 225/70R19.5 tires.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 10:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I built a wood frame with four posts that fit down into the rectangular holes at each corner of the truck bed. I then put a thick king sized comporter over the frame and a heavy gauge blue tarp over that. I installed three tiedown hooks on each side of the truck bed and tied the tarp and frame down to the truck bed. I had a futom mattress that fit perfectly into the bed and could get all my stuff and food in the bed of the truck. I had a couple extra boards that I could slide out over the tail gate for cover during rain. This system worked great for a number of years when I was into backpacking. I'd leve the truck for several days and nobody ever touched a thing. A hundred bucks in material and a couple hours of carpentry was all it took. Oddly, I still have the wood frame and the old Ranger but the truck doesn't run and I like my camper better.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!

MKish

SF

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of the backpacking hammocks are pretty comfy if you're not shy. Of course by the time you add a rainfly and mosquito net...maybe a small tent isn't a bad idea after all.

LoveMyPick-up

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

where i am going i am not expecting any rain but i will have a tarp to use as a rain fly if it comes to that. i have decided the small pop up tent is the best way to go for this trip. maybe down the road at some point i will get a real truck tent.

or.... if i ever have a place to keep it.... a shell top. i know alot of people dont mind it full time but... i wouldnt want to drive around with that on if i wasnt camping but it sure would be nice to have.

thanks for all your suggestions. i appreciate it.

mattstorey

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/12 09:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I kinda like this one up! This has to be a very interesting thing to have. If you would want to have all the other options here, try to click here and search up all the things that you might go thru in order for you to get things straight up. Thanks for this one. Really appreciate a whole lot of things here.

* This post was edited 06/03/12 11:44am by mattstorey *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camping in the bed of my pick-up ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS