|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2002 Lance 1061 Skirt Rot Repair

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
pbrooks101

NEK, Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last summer I got a great deal on a 2002 Lance 1061. Upon inspecting it before I bought it I found that the interior was very well taken care of. The outside however, was not. There was considerable rot in both skirts. I removed, repaired, rebuilt, or replaced the entire skirt on the passengers side last year. All new mahogany framing (I had some large scraps left from another project and figured if they used it on boats it had to be good!), FRP on the back side and new filon attached to 1/8" luan on the front (ordered direct from Lance) as well as a new LED marker light.

Well, now the time has come to do the same to the drivers side skirt which appears to have suffered a little more rot damage. I know Lance sells the skirt replacement kits but I actually found rebuilding the passengers side was fairly easy and I had most of the materials, tools, and time to do it anyway. To replace BOTH skirts I will have less than $400 in material into it ($160 to Lance just for the two new 1/4" backed filon sheets that were about 4' x 4') The lumber for the framing I already had. One 4' x 8' sheet of FRP from my local hardware store was about $40 and fasteners, caulking, butyl tape, etc probably ran about another $75-$100. The "Rot Doctor" CPES was about $60 with shipping. I will post pictures of the repair as I go but here is what I have found so far:

[image]

This is the front of the skirt where it is made out of pressboard and staples to the pine framing.

[image]

A side view of the entire skirt with the filon removed.

I wanted to try to take the frame out in mostly one piece but it just disentigrated whenever I touched it. The filon came off in mostly one piece but cracked where the marker light was. I have new filon to go on so I will use the old one as a pattern to build my new framing. The problem on the other side that I ran into was attaching the FRP to 1/4" luan for the backside made the whole completed frame slightly thicker than it should be. I just used a 50 grit belt on my belt sander and in about 15 minutes (and a LOT of dust later) I shaved it down to an acceptable thickness. I tried to find 1/8" luan but no luck. On this side, however, there was also some water intrusion that wicked up so I have had to pull the large upper sheet of filon back some to get to the rotted area and cut that out with a dremel multi-tool. I will let that area dry then "Rot Doctor" it and will make any new framing above the skirt out of cedar and laminate it to the good stuff with aluminum angle and stainless steel screws. On the other side I only used stainless steel screws, ceramic coated screws, and Gorilla Glue. I will post more pictures of the area now that the framing has been removed and will try to get pictures of the area above the skirt as well. Today I spent about 4 hours on the project.

BTW, the truck camper jack you see to the left side of the bottom picture above is on my 2004 Lance 1161 sitting on my F350 DRW Supercab 4 x 4 w/a 6.0 Diesel. The Mrs. had seen the Lance side entry models and we recently found this one at a price I could not refuse so there is motivation to get the 1061 repaired and sold. I definately DON'T need TWO truck campers!!

* This post was last edited 04/17/12 06:49pm by pbrooks101 *   View edit history

2011 Ford F350 Superduty DRW SD
2011 Lance 1191 (picture below shows 2004 1161-will update soon!)
2010 HD Street Glide
2005 Pace-American MC trailer
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

pbrooks101

NEK, Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 06:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Day 2 of the repair work. Got all of the rotted wood out that I could get out.

[image]

This is the area all cleaned up and nearly ready for the framing install.

There is still some pretty solid stuff left so I will let that dry out and then put "Rot Doctor" on it. Found that the inside wall under the sink had wicked up some water and that was rotted too. Fortunately I was able to get to that from the inside. I trimmed it up and will repair that with some 1/4" luan when done. I made the replacement framework out of cedar and installed that today.

[image]

This is looking from the outside under the filon right up into the area under the bathroom sink.

[image]

This is the new cedar framework. It runs under the battery tray to support that and secures to the back corner.

[image]

This is all I could remove of the skirt in one piece. The rest just disentegrated.

[image]

This is the start of the new skirt frame. Still have some cross pieces to put in for the door frames. The larger pieces are glued up to set overnight. I will attach them tomorrow and trace the front radius from the old filon as a template.

* This post was last edited 04/01/12 04:22pm by pbrooks101 *   View edit history

pbrooks101

NEK, Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Day 3 - Not a whole lot done today. Got the skirt all glued up and test fit the doors. Got the radius towards the front of the skirt rough cut. I will sand that down to the final curve once I have the luan/FRP combo on the back side. The front (filon) won't go on until the frame is mounted to the TC.

[image]

The finished skirt frame with the doors in for a test fit.

[image]

The back side of the frame. Note that I used a KREG jig and made screw pockets in addition to gluing it all up.

The next step will be getting the luan/FRP panel on the back then route out the door openings.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, please let me know. I have looked at several posts on various web sites regarding all kinds of repairs for this problem but have yet to see anyone has gone to the extent of rebuilding the frame from scratch. I have seen one similar where someone used two sheets of 1/2" plywood but that is the closest I have seen to a full out replacement. Also, does anyone know what this would cost to have a repair facility make a repair like this??

* This post was last edited 04/01/12 04:26pm by pbrooks101 *   View edit history

joe b.

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice work. I had to do the same to my 2002 Lance 845 and used African mahogany and sepele wood for all replacements. Got it from a boat supply shop here. Should last forever or longer than the rest of the TC will make it. LOL Figured I had roughly 80 hours of labor into the job by the time I was finished. However I sure had a better understanding of the insides of that camper. We traded and ended up with a 2008 Lance 845 which hopefully has enough aluminum in the walls to not fall apart but if it does, I am ready as still have supplies left over from the first job.

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

pbrooks101

NEK, Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another day and back at work with the repair. After a trip to the big box store for a few needed items, I got a late start. Last night I got the FRP glued to the luan and weighted down to cure overnight. This morning I glued it to the frame. Also got the little plastic corner pieces in as well as a metal piece of moulding around the bottom of the door. There was a moulding of this type on the old frame and I wasn't sure if I should put one back but I had a piece of it laying around so what the heck.... besides, somwhere along the way I lost one of the little plastic corner inserts an I had to figure out a way to get the right radius on the door opening. Once the glue had set up I drilled a pilot hole and used a flush cut router bit with a bearing to trim it all up and cut the door openings. A dry fit on the camper and everything seemed to fit well. I sanded the radius down to the final fit and also cut the filon for the front. That will be glued on once the frame is attached to the camper. I also marked and drilled the holes for the bolts to go into the frame and the bumper.

[image]

The FRP on the back and one of the compartment doors routed out.

[image]

The completed back side with the FRP installed and compartment doors routed out.

[image]

The little plastic corner inserts reinstalled.

[image]

The metal trim installed. I lost one of the little plastic corner pieces so I used a piece of metal trim identical to what was originally installed so I could get the proper radius while routing out the opening.

[image]

The filon cut and fit to the front. I doesn't go all the way to the top because the frame fits up behind the existing filon. I will have to put a 1/8" filler in behind the existing filon as the backing was in rough shape and I cleaned it up some.

[image]

A test fit of the compartment doors. Both fit perfectly with no modifications.

So........ now that the frame is done I have a few loose ends to clean up on the camper itself as well as try to strip as much of the butyl tape and caulking from the moulding that goes alongside the bottom of the skirt. Then pick up some stainless steel screws and get ready for the re-install........ more to come, stay tuned!

* This post was edited 04/16/12 06:52pm by pbrooks101 *

spacedoutbob

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 11:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

She is looking good. Very nice work and thank you for posting.

Bob in Calif.

Good Sam Club Life Member

88lover

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About the 1/8 luan.....when I rebuilt my Lance I found 1/8" special order through Lowes for $20. per sheet. I bought an extra sheet for future. Also Lowes sells door skins 36" that can also be used for the 1/8" luan. Hope this info helps

pbrooks101

NEK, Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@88lover: Thanks for the info. I thought I had read somewhere that someone had found some at a local lumber yard and basically it was older paneling that they just glued up the back side to use. I ended up using the 1/4 inch luan but will keep in mind that I can special order it. Both of the big box stores are about an hours drive for me so I only make it there about once a month. I hope to never have to do this again!! I compensated for the extra thickness by taking a little off the frame. It looks like everything will come together well. I'll keep posting on the progress.

pbrooks101

NEK, Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/12 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spent the weekend finishing up the repair/replacement project. I ended up removing a portion of the vertical corner support and replaced it with new wood (cedar). I was going to "Rot Doctor" it but decided to just cut it out and go back to good, solid wood.

[image]

The new corner in place. Solid wood to screw the frame to.

[image]

Here is the frame all installed and bolted in place. I used stainless steel bolts with stainless nylock nuts. I used ceramic coated screws to screw the wood to wood.

[image]

I had to add a spacer behind the existing filon to bring it out and found I needed a 1/16" spacer at the seam for the new filon.! Also nearly forgot the wiring for the marker light

[image]

The new filon is in place and glued up. Luckily there were three of us as working with Gorilla Glue takes some speed. Good thing I had all the clamps, screws, and wood bracing in place beforehand. Once the clamps were removed I routed out the opening for the outside shower and had to shave a little more off it with the belt sander to get everything to fit right.

[image]

The compartment doors and edge moulding re-installed. I used butyl tape and new stainless steel screws and hardware to put it all back together. The only thing left is to re-caulk all of the seams and joints and to install the new moulding where the two sections of filon meet.

[image]

The jack is re-installed with new stainless steel hardware.

[image]

The final product! (Alright - almost - missing the marker light in the picture but picked one up today and all installed!)

[image]

Here it is finished...... this is the side that is outlined above.

[image]

Although it is hard to see, this is the side that I replaced last year. It was a little easier as there were no compartments to worry about but I also had to replace some of the back wall and floor as well at the same time.

Hope everyone liked this thread. When I was looking for info I did not find much on a project like this so it was fun to document as well....

* This post was last edited 04/16/12 08:11pm by pbrooks101 *   View edit history

turtletalk

NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/12 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those of us who have done similar extensive repairs appreciate your craftsmanship. Nice job! We have decided, that with a TC, that means no one can tell there have been hours and hours of work!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2002 Lance 1061 Skirt Rot Repair
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS