Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: pvc for sewer hose

Posted By: ceasare on 04/01/12 01:16pm

I want to put a PVC pipe under the bumper to carry the sewer hoses. I've seen the info on the site before but cant find it now. What size pipe do I need. As always thanks for your help!

Posted By: Deetour on 04/01/12 01:20pm

1. Measure sewer pipe
2. Purchase pipe larger than sewer pipe & install

Posted By: Wills6.4 Hemi on 04/01/12 01:23pm

4" I believe but its a smelly subject.[emoticon]

Posted By: CincyGus on 04/01/12 01:27pm

I've seen a lot of them use 4" round PVC.

Some have also used the PVC square fence post covers they put over 4x4 posts when putting up PVC fencing.

I'm thinking I want something larger so it's not such a tight fit and am going to look at 6" of both of those so I can leave my elbow and connectors on the hose. I have a pretty high trailer so ground clearance, even considering dips in the driveways of campgrounds, won't be a problem for me.

Do a search for sewer hose storage PVC and I'm sure there will be numerous treads laying out the details.

Good Luck.

2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Posted By: SCClockDr on 04/01/12 01:32pm

I've used 4" but now exclusively use 6" sewer grade. It accommodates the Rainx gutter & fixtures that slinky depends on.

George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret

Posted By: powderman426 on 04/01/12 01:39pm

If you use the 4" you will need to notch out the end of the pipe where the cap goes so that the hose connector will fit inside. A better choice would be the 4" square fence post PVC.

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Posted By: Jerrybo66 on 04/01/12 01:41pm

They're pretty simple to make. An length of 4" plastic sewer pipe, a cap on one end and a plug with a wingnut that plumbers use to test for pressure leaks on the other end. I forgot what they're called. Two short slots need to be cut in the pipe to allow for the "ears" on the hose. I fastened it under the trailer with pipe straps. Good luck..

Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

Posted By: wannavolunteerFT on 04/01/12 02:26pm

Mine is a 5" vinyl fence post with cap on either end. My DS made a clip like a giant safety pin out of vinyl coated clothes hanger to hold caps in place, just drilled a hole through where cap overlaps end of post. the 5" is big enough to hold sewer hose with connections in my vinyl gutter support. Many folks have placed theirs under TT, but I just used zipties and zipped it to top of bumper. I didn't want to deal with rough edges and rust that you get from using metal bumper.

2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Posted By: TNTraveller on 04/01/12 02:54pm

Mine is 4 inch square fence post. My sewer hose has 90 degree ends and fits snugly. If I had the room I would use 6 inch fence post to make getting the hose in and out easier. A 6 inch would not fit between the frame rain and spare tire.
If you don't have 90 degree ends on your hose 4 inch is fine.

Posted By: LarryJM on 04/01/12 04:15pm

wannavolunteerFT wrote:

Mine is a 5" vinyl fence post with cap on either end. My DS made a clip like a giant safety pin out of vinyl coated clothes hanger to hold caps in place, just drilled a hole through where cap overlaps end of post. the 5" is big enough to hold sewer hose with connections in my vinyl gutter support. Many folks have placed theirs under TT, but I just used zipties and zipped it to top of bumper. I didn't want to deal with rough edges and rust that you get from using metal bumper.

I also used a 5" fence post cover and the vinyl gutter to hold my hose along with the Camco quick connect sewer fittings. I also have room for my RV swivel stick tank rinser and even my awning rod if I want to keep that in there, cut I generally put the awning rod in my rear pass thru. My fence post is actually my rear bumper once my molding one stayed south in Fla. last year[emoticon]

Here is a pic of the bumper on the supports before I trimmed the support to the proper length and mounted the bumper/sewer hose carrier to it.

[image]

I also used a vinyl gutter that slides out as shown below and it even hold the right angle Camco quick connect fitting along with my black tank swivel stick. The cap has a chain to the bumper and then I drill a hole thru the cap and bumper and another chain has a brass rod that goes thru the holes in both the bottom and top of the cap and bumper to secure the end.

[image]

Larry

* This post was last edited 04/09/12 06:12am by LarryJM *

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Posted By: webslave on 04/01/12 04:53pm

This is what I made for our bumper pull before we got our current 5th wheel:

[image]

A 5x5 fence post cover (so that a 5" plastic gutter for a tray would fit inside and the 90 degree elbow would fit), caps, SS handles and bungee cords to retain them.

[image]

The orange storage box contains other waste piping essentials; disposable gloves, gate valve, rubber donut, clear pipe extension, etc. The tray in the pipe holder also contains the telescoping hose support and legs.

Haven't decided if I'll make another for the 5ver. On the FunFinder, the waste pipes were in the back and it made sense to keep the stuff back there, but, the storage was in the front. In the 5ver, the waste pipe is in the middle and I'm certainly not short of storage in the basement, so, for the time being all my "hook up" stuff is in bins and very handy to the hookups. The most maddening thing right now is the power connector is on the very back of the 5ver and the best storage area is in the very front...I've got to lug the 50 amp cord all the way from the front to the back and reverse that to leave. It floors me that they didn't put the power connector at the same location as their "utility center", would have been much more convenient and would have been a shorter cable run to the converter for them...another mod coming on [emoticon]

My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

Posted By: SCClockDr on 04/02/12 05:47am

Here is what I did.
  • Welded 4" lengths of 1/2" round bar to the under side of the frame.
  • Secured the 6" PVC tubing with 2 stainless screw clamps on each end.
  • Stuck 1 velcro hook patch to the end caps and secured a 6" strip of 2 sided non-stick velcro strip under the clamps to re4tain the caps while underway.
[image]

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum width to avoid scrolling.

* This post was edited 04/09/12 09:13am by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: mbrule on 04/02/12 09:28am

SCClockDr wrote:

Here is what I did.
  • Welded 4" lengths of 1/2" round bar to the under side of the frame.
  • Secured the 6" PVC tubing with 2 stainless screw clamps on each end.
  • Stuck 1 velcro hook patch to the end caps and secured a 6" strip of 2 sided non-stick velcro strip under the clamps to re4tain the caps while underway.
[image]

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum width to avoid scrolling.

Can you post pics of the Velcro you used to hold the caps on, I don't understand what you mean....

Thanks!

* This post was edited 04/09/12 09:14am by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: goducks10 on 04/02/12 09:52am

While I didn't mount it on the bumper I used 5" plastic fence post material. I mounted mine in front of the wheels since thats where the drains are.
[image]
[image]

Posted By: Ron3rd on 04/19/12 06:49pm

Lot of posts on the subject and easy to do. Take your choice of round pvc pipe or 5" Fence post.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Posted By: JBarca on 04/20/12 09:19pm

I made mine a while ago before the fence post square style came along.

This is the 4" PVC one. And yes there are a series of 1/2" holes drilled along the bottom to let water out/air in. Works good and works with my fittings. Now moved to our larger camper.

[image]

[image]

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

Posted By: westend on 04/22/12 09:06am

JBarca wrote:

This is the 4" PVC one. And yes there are a series of 1/2" holes drilled along the bottom to let water out/air in. Works good and works with my fittings. Now moved to our larger camper.

[image]

[image]

This is one of the more clever installs I've seen, great use of the "t's". I just picked up a square fence post so will be going with that type. Does the hose eventually drain completely or is there just a bit of water left in the hose at your next dump? Having never dumped and stored, I'm clueless.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Posted By: JBarca on 04/22/12 05:46pm

westend wrote:

JBarca wrote:

This is one of the more clever installs I've seen, great use of the "t's". I just picked up a square fence post so will be going with that type. Does the hose eventually drain completely or is there just a bit of water left in the hose at your next dump? Having never dumped and stored, I'm clueless.

I have a series of 1/2 drain holes in the bottom of the pipe. Before put the hose in I always drain it. I have never had a "wet" problem and no mold yuk in the pvc pipe. So it is dry enough. Been using this since 2003 and have not noticed any issues. This setup is now on the 2nd camper. I move most of the mods when we change campers.

Good luck with yours. The square fence post is good too.

John

Posted By: nvreloader on 04/23/12 12:46am

If you have the Yellow Jacket Hornets around, make to breather holes 1/8" or smaller, or you'll be in for surprize when you open the lid, if your RV sits for a while, don't ask how I know! Ouch!.
Don

2010 F-350,6.4PSD, 6spd man trans,CC,SWB,SRW, Caravan camper shell,50 gal bed tank,17,000lb Husky WD hitch,Northwoods 2008 28KS Desert Fox Toy Hauler,2005 Honda 500 Rubicon ATV w/rumble seat,1 Aussie waiting,watching and ridin shotgun on the whole outfit.

Posted By: Kordog on 04/23/12 06:19am

Ok so I want to do the 5 inch fence post mod, but cannot find the fence post longer than 48". Where is everyone buying this fence post? I have tried Menards, Home Depot, Lowes, and online. Please help!

2011 Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax
2014 Grand Design Momentum 385TH

Posted By: LarryJM on 04/23/12 06:29am

Kordog wrote:

Ok so I want to do the 5 inch fence post mod, but cannot find the fence post longer than 48". Where is everyone buying this fence post? I have tried Menards, Home Depot, Lowes, and online. Please help!

IIRC I ordered mine from HD and you should be able to order the same from Lowes and most have free shipping to your local store.

Do a search using "vinyl post cover" Lowes shows a 4 3/4 x 4 3/4 x 98 for 37.95 made by Freedom.

Larry

Posted By: Kordog on 04/24/12 06:18am

Thanks Larry, I did end up finding it at HD online, that was the only place I didn't look at online. I ordered it yesterday and can't wait to mod!

Posted By: LarryJM on 04/24/12 06:24am

Kordog wrote:

Thanks Larry, I did end up finding it at HD online, that was the only place I didn't look at online. I ordered it yesterday and can't wait to mod!

You're welcome and glad to help.

Larry

Posted By: wally-eye on 04/19/12 08:54am

Do you drill some small holes in the pvc pipe or fence post to vent and/or let any water out or leave it sealed tight?

2007 KZ Sportsman 5th wheel

Posted By: goducks10 on 04/19/12 10:45am

wally-eye wrote:

Do you drill some small holes in the pvc pipe or fence post to vent and/or let any water out or leave it sealed tight?

I have holes on the bottom the length of it.

Posted By: SCClockDr on 04/02/12 12:27pm

mbrule wrote:

SCClockDr wrote:

Here is what I did...

Can you post pics of the Velcro you used to hold the caps on, I don't understand what you mean....

Thanks!
Here you go.
[image]

[image]

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum width to avoid scrolling.

* This post was edited 04/09/12 09:11am by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: dlturner00 on 04/07/12 09:19pm

goducks10 wrote:

While I didn't mount it on the bumper I used 5" plastic fence post material. I mounted mine in front of the wheels since thats where the drains are.
[image]
[image]

I did this too. Worked great. Held 40' of hose with fittings. I'll be doing a new one for our new fiver. I just put hinges on one cap and when you close it, its tight enough that it never came open.

2004 F350 CC 4WD DRW Powerstroke
B&W Companion Hitch
Prodigy Controller
2013 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4

Posted By: JJnLilly on 04/09/12 05:44am

I, to, used the 5" square PVC fence post covers. I used Velcro straps through the end caps to hold them in place. I'll try to get some pics - when the RV returns from Florida.

2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

Posted By: fraoch on 04/10/12 05:28am

We bought one from Camping World for about $35... Not sure how much you save on do it yourself but it came with caps.

Posted By: dannytas on 04/10/12 11:26am

I saw one laying on the ground at the place we bought the trailer. It was used and kinda dirty. I got it for free! Cleaned it up, painted it and mounted it. It's gonna work great. I hate putting the hose int the bumper.

[image][image]

[emoticon]

2014 Keystone Springdale 202QBWE
1998 Dodge 1500 Club Cab, 4x4, 5.9 magnum
DW-Lynn
BigDog-Kelley
LittleDog-Kroozer
LittleCats-Pokie and Dottie

Posted By: cmoecmoe on 05/02/12 07:36pm

I went to the local fence place and they cut the length I needed and it was a couple of bucks cheaper than the big box stores...

Craig & Annette
2015 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax
2014 300x12 XLR Toy Hauler
2008 Harley Ultra Classic

Print  |  Close