RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Leaking Sewer Valve?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Leaking Sewer Valve?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
HappyTrails2U2

Tennessee is home but being held hostage in GA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/12 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Andy F wrote:

I also have a small water leak around the door seal in a storage compartment so looks like a warranty repair at the dealer will be needed.

You might try tightening up the latch that holds the door closed. Tighten the screw on the end of the lock that holds the latch on the inside. If you can't tighten it up then you can gently bend the latch arm that latches on the inside of the door to the trailer opening to make it a tighter fit. That'll close the door tighter to make it seal better.

I just did that on my trailer on Monday of this week. We had a rain storm on Sunday and I always go around and open up all the storage doors after a storm looking to make sure there's no leaks. I had a little damp spot just inside one of the doors and sure enough the screw was loose on the lock on the inside that holds the latch in place. So I tightened it up and to tighten things up a little more I bent the latch arm in just a little bit to where it takes a little effort now to lock the door with the key. That made the door really snug up tight. We had another rain Tuesday night and I didn't find any more damp spots so I guess that took care of it. I'll keep an eye on it anyway as I always do just in case.

2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS
2003 Chevy Silverado 1/2 Ton Extended Cab

Andy F

St Cloud, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HappyTrails2U2 wrote:

Andy F wrote:

I also have a small water leak around the door seal in a storage compartment so looks like a warranty repair at the dealer will be needed.

You might try tightening up the latch that holds the door closed. Tighten the screw on the end of the lock that holds the latch on the inside. If you can't tighten it up then you can gently bend the latch arm that latches on the inside of the door to the trailer opening to make it a tighter fit. That'll close the door tighter to make it seal better.

I just did that on my trailer on Monday of this week. We had a rain storm on Sunday and I always go around and open up all the storage doors after a storm looking to make sure there's no leaks. I had a little damp spot just inside one of the doors and sure enough the screw was loose on the lock on the inside that holds the latch in place. So I tightened it up and to tighten things up a little more I bent the latch arm in just a little bit to where it takes a little effort now to lock the door with the key. That made the door really snug up tight. We had another rain Tuesday night and I didn't find any more damp spots so I guess that took care of it. I'll keep an eye on it anyway as I always do just in case.

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try.

Andy
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2004 Toyota Sequoia
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!

Nights camped in 2012=33
Nights camped in 2013=36
Our camping photos

Chromag

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/12 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I dropped my TT off at the dealer a week ago today. I just got an email from them that the TT is in the bay and that they've "finally" received a response from Crossroads with regards to the valve.

The dealer is telling me that Crossroads wants them to take out the valve and take detailed pictures of it and send it to them before they'll warranty it.

Is this common?? It's been a full week and the repairs still haven't been done because, according to the dealer, Crossroads is taking their sweet time getting back to them, and then is requiring all kinds of detailed pictures.

2012 Crossroads Z-1 271BH
2004 Nissan Armada with Blue Ox BXW1500, Prodigy P3

HappyTrails2U2

Tennessee is home but being held hostage in GA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a classic case of the manufacture spending a dollar to try and save a dime.

JN_B

Calgary, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This was an ongoing issue with the valves on my trailer. While I agree it shouldn't be an ongoing problem, with the design on my trailer it is. My trailer has a cable going from the handle to the valve. the cable is about 8-9 ft long, and not secured very well. This allows the cable to flex as I actuate the handle, which means the valve may or may not actually be closing completely. I've gotten in the habit of opening/closing the handle many times after I'm done dumping, and sometimes this works. (I've brought it in on warranty many times for this issue, and they always replace the valve & cable, yet still the same issue).

My only real solution, is to get an additional valve, and place it on as the last fitting for before the cap. This way I know I have no "extras" coming out when I open the cap to put the hose on.

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD SLT
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

Chromag

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/12 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We picked up the TT today from the dealer. They replaced both black and grey valves (along with a couple other small issues). Everything was covered under warranty and the one small item that wasn't they fixed with no charge. We have a week long vacation planned for the week after July 4th so let's hope this issue is resolved!

Thanks for all the input.

papaquad

Canora,SK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/12 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chromag wrote:

We picked up the TT today from the dealer. They replaced both black and grey valves (along with a couple other small issues). Everything was covered under warranty and the one small item that wasn't they fixed with no charge. We have a week long vacation planned for the week after July 4th so let's hope this issue is resolved!

Thanks for all the input.

Wondering how the fix worked for you, I'm having the same issue with my black tank, but my trailer is sitting at a seasonal site until late Sept.

I have notified dealer, but it's a long summer with blue hands...

Randy & Joanne & Cheeko the Blue Fronted Amazon parrot
'11 KZ Spree 323CSS
2005 F150 4x4XLT 3.73
2012 Canam Outlander 800R Max XT-P
2012 Canam Outlander 800R XMR

Chromag

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/12 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

papaquad wrote:

Wondering how the fix worked for you, I'm having the same issue with my black tank, but my trailer is sitting at a seasonal site until late Sept.

I have notified dealer, but it's a long summer with blue hands...

We're at our second campground of the week and I've dumped the tanks twice and it looks to be fixed. When I open the valve I get a couple drops and that's it.

Just sitting under our awning right now enjoying a cold one

thib2722

Eunice, LA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's probably a piece of refuse or paper in the track that the gate slides in. If you can reach it, try scraping gently with a bent wire hanger. That solved my problem once.

Bucky Badger

Madison, WI

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Andy F wrote:

HappyTrails2U2 wrote:

If you do have a leak and don't want the expense or trouble with replacing it you can get a twist on valve to hook on the end of the existing valve for less than $25.00 like the one listed at Camping World.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/twist-on-valve/27868

Drawback would be the added valve would be exposed outside of the heated and sealed underbelly for those of us with that option on our TT's.

The reason I would not use it, is because it's something else that could go wrong while dumping

Fred & Jodie, dogs, Zoey, Mika and Emma

2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Leaking Sewer Valve?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers