RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Departure angle and camper height limitations. A trip report

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Departure angle and camper height limitations. A trip report

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
insp1505

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While exploring around the mountains of Idaho I often test limits of my equipment. My latest camping trip was no exception. A long bed pickup truck doesn't have the best departure angle to begin with but then add an 11.5' TC to the back and you really have to be aware of the terrain you're driving in so you don't tear off the back of your camper. My TC is also very tall so I have to be cautious about overhead obstacles that could damage it as well.

I also added a new hobby to my camping activities. Gold prospecting. Last week I checked for active mining claims in the area I wanted to go play in and found none so we set out Friday to have some fun. This trip report is an account of our adventures, limitations and the amazing treasure we discovered.

The first day was uneventful as we camped along the river. After setting up camp I played with my new sluice box to see if I could make it work. The riverbanks were still solid ice up to 3’ tall in some spots making access difficult. The next day we did some shooting and went for a hike.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

On our hike I found this big canyon with a creek flowing out and I wanted to go camp by it so I could do some prospecting. In typical TC fashion we broke camp in about 20 min and headed out.

[image]

While climbing towards the mouth of a canyon we encountered a creek crossing. I have crossed several creeks before, some up to the bottom of my doors in depth, but this one posed a different challenge with the height of the banks relative to the narrow creek bed. I am always aware of how long my camper is and how the jacks hanging down in the rear decrease the departure angle of the truck so I entered carefully.

No damage was done to the camper as I had a spotter and I drove slowly until my jack touched the ground. Then I got out and dug a short trench to get it through. Luckily the ground was soft from all the rain we've been getting lately.

[image]

[image]

[image]

I made it out of the creek bottom just in time for this big storm to hit.

[image]

Crossing another dry creek bed turned out to be too steep as seen in this picture where the front end was still climbing as the jack was about to touch. The blurriness on the next few pictures is from raindrops on the camera lens.

[image]

I drove off-road down the ravine a bit to find a less steep angle to get through but still ended up digging.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

As we made our way to the mouth of canyon the road passed through some aspen groves and the overhanging limbs were too low to risk tearing the roof. It would have taken hours to cut my way through and the rain was getting more intense so we turned back to find a camp spot lower on the creek.

So after all that work I was stopped by camper height and lack of ambition to do any logging, not by my departure angle. I really don't like cutting down aspens anyway as there aren't a lot of them and they are kind of pretty when they get their leaves, especially in the fall.

The jacks didn’t dig in when heading back through the creek from the other direction. They just went underwater for a bit. Getting up the lip of the bank was a challenge though; I had to get a run at it twice to get over.

[image]

The storm was finally letting up by the time we got back to the "good" road.

[image]

Here are some pictures of our camp spot I took the next day.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

We hiked up into the canyon to see what it was like. I took my small gold pan but didn’t find anything. On our way down we ran into some mule deer making their way across the valley to the river.

[image]

A couple of more views of camp before we left for home.

[image]

[image]

[image]

It turned out to be a great weekend adventure. Nothing got broke and I even ran a few small buckets of dirt through my sluice and found a tiny bit of gold in the creek near camp. It's probably not even worth enough to pay for a gallon fuel but at least it was fun to find.

The real treasure however was being out in the mountains enjoying the beauty and solitude of early spring camping in the TC. The memories and pictures of that are worth so much more than any gold I could ever find there.

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report, thanks for sharing

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Knowing and being aware of the limitations are something I am always on the look- out for. That looked close!! I would have gotten the wrench out and removed the jacks to not have to worry about how much dig would happen, but it looked as if you made it unscathed.

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

the tc life

colbert wa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/12 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

why the use of jack stands under the truck?

nice report by the way.

2010 adventurer 810ws
1999 c3500 dually 12' flatbed

THE TC LIFE

insp1505

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the tc life wrote:

why the use of jack stands under the truck?

nice report by the way.

Thanks.

I place those stands under my torklift mounts to stabilize the truck and camper while parked. To keep it from rocking in the wind or with people moving around inside. It blocks the movement of the trucks suspension so it's just as stable as the electric jacks without all the wear and tear running them up and down. Plus it's less drain on the batteries for boondocking. It takes less time to place them and give them a few turns to lock them in place than it does to wait for the electric jacks to run down. If I need to leave in a hurry I can just drive away without even touching them. They're cheap.

insp1505

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d3500ram wrote:

Knowing and being aware of the limitations are something I am always on the look- out for. That looked close!! I would have gotten the wrench out and removed the jacks to not have to worry about how much dig would happen, but it looked as if you made it unscathed.

Knowing your limitations beforehand is key. You definitely don't want to discover them after the fact when your jack is lying on the ground with the rear corner of your TC still attached to it. [emoticon]

I have thought about removing my rear jacks at times but it would only gain me a few degrees then I'd be tearing off the tailpipe to my generator or the sewer outlet on the other side so I'd want to take those off too. That would gain me a few more degrees until my bumper hit so I'd remove that for even more angle. Pretty soon I'd run out of room to store all these removed parts and I wouldn't remember which bolt went where. Next I'd have to shorten the whole TC to an AF 990 for a few more degrees of departure angle so I could get even more extreme but I could still find places to hit so then I'd have to get an AF 811.

I have to stop the cycle somewhere you see or this could get really expensive. [emoticon] It's just easier for me to pull my shovel out of the basement and dig for those few extra degrees if needed occasionally. I figure if it takes more effort than that I probably shouldn't be going there anyway with my rig. What I really need is a dirt bike so I can explore without risking my TC. Maybe someday I'll be able to afford one.

RockyRoadCamper

Browder, Ky, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 05:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVing including T/Cing is such a compromise. I have a dually, double cap and a big t/c with a rear slide so like you, limited clearance. If I had it to do over I would get a 3/4 extended cab and a pop-up t/c with no overhang, then I could get to all of those high trailheads in the rockies and other out of the way places with real scenery.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

insp1505 , just curious , have you ever measured your actual angle of departure ?

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

recycler

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

great post i hope to do some traveling like that in the future..does show one of the reasons i wish i didn't have to mount black tank under mine [emoticon] clearance

1999 F550 truck conversion

Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had to dig a path for my jacks also and I may start carrying a jack stand like you.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Departure angle and camper height limitations. A trip report
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.