RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A - adding outside lights? flood lights?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Class A - adding outside lights? flood lights?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
axkick23

Riverside

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The family and I do a lot of dry camping. I use a portable flood light and just plug it in. I want to add some lighting to the outside of the RV that doesn’t look bad. Has anyone ever added some flood lights or some type of lighting on the outside of the RV? I would like to find something to mount out there and have a switch just inside the door.

Thanks
Ron

Ed9824v

Agua Dulce, Calif. 70 mi S.E. of Los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a similar question my trailer has some round outside lights like to change them out for some bright ones if available as a direct bolt in. ED

Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

grousehunter 61

pollock idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you talking back-up flood lights or security lights or just to have light at night. I use lights around my awning and rope lights under the coach on the passenger side. a switch on the outside wall is difficult to do without messing something up, but you will find most of if not all the inside walls are hollow, so that would be the place to add a switch. Some coaches come with a spot-light on the roof, that might be a way to go.

Rodger & Teri

1985 Sportcoach / crosscountry
1983 Camaro / 1971 Chevy 4x4
chessie's named sonny & choc and a red setter named star
http://sportcoach.blogspot.com/

axkick23

Riverside

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking to add some outside lights for cooking at night or just hanging out. The little porch light just doesnt cut it. And the flood light that i bring is really bright and I would like to make it easy. I dont want to use any lights on the awning since i dont use it as much as i would like.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For outside lighting, use LED lights for two reasons. One, they draw very little electrical current, which minimizes the battery drain and two, LED lights do not attract bugs, which is a big plus if you are going to be sitting outside.

axkick23

Riverside

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LED sounds good, but which lights? Where do i get them?
How and where would be a good place to install them?
I just would like 2 for the outside and to run a switch.
Would i just wire them straight to the battery?

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://store.jandsrvparts.com/rvscarelights.html

Try this website, they have some great options.

FIRE UP

Ramona, CA. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

For outside lighting, use LED lights for two reasons. One, they draw very little electrical current, which minimizes the battery drain and two, LED lights do not attract bugs, which is a big plus if you are going to be sitting outside.

I agree with using LED lights wholeheartedly. But, unless you buy the most top quality LED lights with specifically designed reflective housings, 95% of most LED lights and or just bulbs will not throw off enough light to satisfy the OPs desires.

Now, this will most likely be a debate as some are satisfied with the light output of LEDs in certain situations and some aren't. Don't get me wrong here, I've been messing with LEDs for quite some time now and in fact, have changed about 85% of my interior light bulbs and all of my compartment light bulbs to LEDs. But, I've tried to find LEDs that produce the same light array, distance etc. for outside lighting as their counterparts and like stated, many just don't cut the mustard.

There are a few out there that will do the job but, for what the OP is looking for and some others here, they're way, way too expensive for those purposes. Here's one that will knock your socks off and certainly do the job.

http://www.clearwaterlights.com/infopg_krista.html

I have changed my porch light bulb from a standard 1156 to an SMD, 45 LED, Tower light bulb. This is considerably better than the stock bulb. Much brighter and absolutely ZERO heat out put. Plus the added benefit of next to nothing in electrical draw. It does put out some good light on the ground around the side of the coach in the immediate area of the porch light but, it doesn't go much farther than that. But, as usual, it's a fairly expensive bulb, around $22.00 and is exceptionally bright when looking directly at it.

I too would love to have some night time light for general purposes on occasion and not destroy a set of house batteries trying to accomplish my goal for a short time. I'm constantly on the lookout for LEDs and housings that will take on the task without breaking the bank.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

axkick23

Riverside

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the post..
I think I have a good idea of what I can put on the outside of the RV for lights.
Next would be how would I run the wires?
Let’s say I put the lights near the roof of the RV.
Where and how could I run the wires?
Remember I want to run them to a switch right in side my door which is just behind the passenger seat. I don’t mind connecting them to directly to the house batteries.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just use a rechargeable Black & Decker fluorescent work light. Turn if off when I'm done cooking. Don't want the neighbors getting mad at me for to many lights. I could get carried away with lighting real easy.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Class A - adding outside lights? flood lights?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS