RV.Net Open Roads Forum: 2006 Ford F250 XLT 6.0 Turbo Diesel To Haul My Camper?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2006 Ford F250 XLT 6.0 Turbo Diesel To Haul My Camper?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$9K is pretty cheap for any brand or model of year 2006 truck with a diesel.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

francheska

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2006 with the 6.0 diesel 4x4 which I bought used. I was uninformed about trucks but wanted a
3/4 ton diesel truck. Had about 50k on it I now have 70k on it. I love the truck have not had any problems. We have pulled a very heavy 5vr from the East coast to the West over the mountains. I have it
chipped and 4" exhaust. We averaged 10 on a 3200 mile trip. Empty I get 13mpg. I also think 9K is a great price if the truck is clean. I am going to get the EGR looked at as I plan to keep this truck forever.
Good luck and the truck will haul anything I've thrown at it currently have a TC and pull a 16' covered trailer.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 09:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

francheska wrote:

I have a 2006 with the 6.0 diesel 4x4 which I bought used. I was uninformed about trucks but wanted a
3/4 ton diesel truck. Had about 50k on it I now have 70k on it. I love the truck have not had any problems. We have pulled a very heavy 5vr from the East coast to the West over the mountains. I have it
chipped and 4" exhaust. We averaged 10 on a 3200 mile trip. Empty I get 13mpg. I also think 9K is a great price if the truck is clean. I am going to get the EGR looked at as I plan to keep this truck forever.
Good luck and the truck will haul anything I've thrown at it currently have a TC and pull a 16' covered trailer.

Chipping a 6.0 is playing Russian Roulette. International sells the engine at 250 HP, Ford changed the electronics and upped the HP to 325, essentially chipping it. You just double chipped it which is taking the head gasket and head studs to or above their limts. You can get the head bolts and gaskets upgraded which may prevent your engine from failure.

03 F350 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab long bed, 08 Lance 1055, Rancho 9000xl, Air Lift air Bags, Torqlift tiedowns,stable loads, super hitch, 48" super truss, Toyo 285/75R16 Opencountry HT. Rickson Steel 19.5 rims on order

Steelhog

Harvest, AL

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bear with me as I'm still a Ford diesel fan and now have a 2002 F250 7.3 I love. As for my 2004 6.0 it was differnt story. For the first 55,000 miles my it was a wonderfull and reliable truck. At that time I lost the first turbo due to the variable geometry vanes getting stuck. Ford alleged that I had NOT driven my truck hard enough nor often enough. Following the warranty repair I asked what I should do to maximize reliability. I was told to "Drive it like you stole it", use their Cetane booster, and drive it everyday. I did! At less than 13 months that new turbo disintegrated. Guess what? Ford said TOO BAD, I was past the twelve month warranty and because I was driving MORE per their instructions I was over the 60K warranty as well.

So where am I going with this? $9K is a deal but PLEASE have some $$$ set aside ($3,000 to $5,000) to replace the head gaskets, install ARP studs, you have to lift the cab to do the heads and studs, install an EGR valve delete kit, and install a coolant filter. The 6.0 is a very advanced engine and was a rocket off the line, pulled like a train but I just didn't have the stomach or wallet to drop another $5K into a truck that cost $4,000 to get out of the shop. I traded backwards for an engine I trusted but it is slower and louder.

jimh425

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The variable vane turbo either needs to be driven hard or with an additive. I like Power Service Diesel Kleen, but any brand will work. As far as I can tell, I get enough of an improvement in the fuel mileage to cover the cost of the additive.

It would be different if ULSD didn't exist, but it does. So, use the additive. If you really don't want to, you always can replace the turbo with a different type.

If you want the last word on 6.0 diesels, go to fordtrucks.com.

'10 F450 Lariat CrewCab DRW, 6.4 PSD, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, Long Bed. '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

W4RLR

Sewanee, Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 10:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use a fuel additive, add a coolant filter, don't chip it. I'm happy with mine.

Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

billtex

RI

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 06:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steelhog wrote:

Bear with me as I'm still a Ford diesel fan and now have a 2002 F250 7.3 I love. As for my 2004 6.0 it was differnt story. For the first 55,000 miles my it was a wonderfull and reliable truck. At that time I lost the first turbo due to the variable geometry vanes getting stuck. Ford alleged that I had NOT driven my truck hard enough nor often enough. Following the warranty repair I asked what I should do to maximize reliability. I was told to "Drive it like you stole it", use their Cetane booster, and drive it everyday. I did! At less than 13 months that new turbo disintegrated. Guess what? Ford said TOO BAD, I was past the twelve month warranty and because I was driving MORE per their instructions I was over the 60K warranty as well.

So where am I going with this? $9K is a deal but PLEASE have some $$$ set aside ($3,000 to $5,000) to replace the head gaskets, install ARP studs, you have to lift the cab to do the heads and studs, install an EGR valve delete kit, and install a coolant filter. The 6.0 is a very advanced engine and was a rocket off the line, pulled like a train but I just didn't have the stomach or wallet to drop another $5K into a truck that cost $4,000 to get out of the shop. I traded backwards for an engine I trusted but it is slower and louder.
One of my best Buds has had the exact same experience with his 04. He has over $12k into it now and is so afraid to drive it he picked up an old S10 to drive to work (he is a union carpenter and needs a truck for work). His camper has not left the yard in 2 years as they are afraid to go anywhere. He has too much $ into it now to recoup his investment if he traded, and he is afraid to drive the truck any distance. I feel bad about his situation and how much $ he has invested in this truck.

I have no dog in this fight…but knowing what he is going through I would not touch a 6.0l.

The only other comment I would make about his 6.0l is, when it is running, it gets no where near the mpg as a Cummins or Duramax. This may/may not matter to you.

His experience with this 6.0l has been a huge disappointment and cost him big $....the truck has sat in his yard the last 2 years more than it has moved.

If you want a Ford diesel…there are better choices...like the 7.3l and the new Ford diesel engine...

Good luck,
Bill

* This post was edited 04/09/12 08:55am by billtex *

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

mooring product

Pompano Beach Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2003 F250 with 122,000 on it. I baby mine..sure they have problems but so do Duramax and Cummins.

13.40 in the 1/4 MILE

Untitled by MooringProduct, on Flickr

white out by MooringProduct, on Flickr

tail gate NADM by MooringProduct, on Flickr

pete pulling by MooringProduct, on Flickr

Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.

4*phun*2

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My '03 PSD was a great truck.
My '06 PSD was a piece of junk. Last straw was a high pressure fuel pump. Ford replaced under warranty. But it is about a $5000 repair.

Glenn & Karen
'08 Chevy LT 3500 HD 4x4 CC LB DRW (nice hips)
'06 F350 4X4 Lariat CC LB DRW (nice hips) retired
'09 Victory Lane 38SRV Toy Hauler
'02 HD Road King FLHRCI KRUZN
'04 F150 XLT Super Crew
Our Toys

DesertDave100

San Jose CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$9K is a good price for that truck, as described.

As was said before, it ought to be a 350. Or else you will want to be sure you have springs and tires/wheels adequate for the load, the rear axle is the same in 250 and 350 single wheel.

I get 12 mpg with the camper, as much as 18.5 without, and have averaged 16.6 over the 46,000 miles I've put on mine so far.

I put on a coolant filter. I added an exhaust temp. gauge, and a real tranny temp gauge. And did nothing else to the motor - it has all the oomph I need to climb the Sierra's loaded at slightly above GVWR.

I specifically purchased a 6.0 at the end of the model run, and haven't yet regretted that decision.

2006 Bigfoot 9.4 LB 2500 series. Rides on a 2007 Ford F350 6.0 SRW Torqshift

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2006 Ford F250 XLT 6.0 Turbo Diesel To Haul My Camper?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS