RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Replacing dinette cushion with office chairs

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Replacing dinette cushion with office chairs

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mpike

Chico, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 10:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know we all like pictures and I hope to eventually post some.
In my 94 BigFoot 9.6 I took out the uncomfortable dinette cushions and turned my table from North-South to East-West with one end up against the window.
I added two 18" 4x4 posts screwed into each side cabinet,(like many TC's there is a smaller floor cabinet near the door and a deeper cabinet at the North end).
I drilled a 1-1/8" hole 5" deep in each post, and through the 3/8" plywood that forms the top of the cabinet.
I cut off the office chair shafts 6" below the seat bottom. I also eliminated the highth adjust handle and the fat tension adjust knob. The tension bolt was replaced with a 3/8"x2" carriage bolt, nut and lock washer.( This was done because the tension knob stuck down 3" and would raise the seat too high).
The seat shaft now slides down into the post hole and the seat swivels nicely.
This has been a big improvement in comfort. We can still drop the table down to make the spare bed (we just use our inflatable camping pads)and we also have more space for storage with the cushions gone.

GalinAZ

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/12 12:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pictures or a link please!!

GalinAZ
2011 Thor Majestic Class C 23A
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport toad

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 12:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

My sister told me she made a office chair into the deck chair for her aluminum boat, it turned out nice as well.

I ordered my RV without a dinette, I have a pair of captains chairs, and have a fold out table in between. Your setup seems to be much lighter, and allows for the table to be converted to a bed as well.

Fred.

Snow River TC

BC Canada summer / Jalisco, Mexico winter

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a stock camper with recliners. They are nice, but now we have a grand daughter, not so good for sleeping arrangements.

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years ago someone posted a nice conversion to office chairs-They were pretty nice/ ideal for a conversion. For just sitting the dinnet lacks-but conversion also has some shortfalls. Yes pictures would be nice.

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

Butch50

Bentonville, AR

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Snow River TC wrote:

I have a stock camper with recliners. They are nice, but now we have a grand daughter, not so good for sleeping arrangements.

Well Paul, you are just going to have to get rid of the old Snow River camper and update to a new one with a dinette for that little girl to sleep on. Come on be a good grandpa.[emoticon]

Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2017 Ram 3500 Mega DRW
2018 Grand Design 303RLS

mpike

Chico, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 11:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry, but the pictures will have to wait until next week, as we are leaving on a one week trip to field test them.
I wasn't able to do pictures as my wife had both cameras and I've been rushing to get the camper ready.
I also pulled the range and put in a slide in cooktop. Perhaps we'll have wifi somewhere and I'll post then.
Mike

popeye766

lake tx.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/12 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THANK YOU MPIKE FOR THE IDEA...
Iam in the process of doing this to my 86 Lance.....10.6.
IT worked beautiful ....i wont try to tell you how to do it since all campers are different and this change is a custom build just for your camper However, i will tell you some componets..... I used $49 dollar office chairs from wall mart, used only the chair the pheumatic cyl and the base. Once the chair is assembled you have only a shinny cyl sticking out of the base...discard parts you dont need.
Caution....DO NOT push that blacK button on the top...it realeases the inner rod and is terrible to get back in...it is a GAS shock SO
DO NOT HEAT OR CUT OFF OR OPEN , IAM SURE IT WILL GO BANG.

Cut a 4X4 the proper length to be flush with the top of your dinnet area and securly attach it where you can upright....AFTER you drill a 1 1/8 hole straight down end wise at the proper depth for your situation.Now you have a nice hole in the end of the 4X4 to put that shinny cyl down into ...i left 2 inchs of cyl sticking out of the wood. My depth of hole is about 7 inchs.

Wow...what a huge difference and now all that cushion area is storage .....

There is only the two of us..so it works perfect.

tom USN RET

mpike

Chico, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/12 04:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just back from an 8 day boondocking trip around Mt Shasta. The seats worked great! I love to swivel mine and kick my legs up against the bathroom wall. I wish the seat back would recline, but I'll have to work that out. Here's the first photo, showing the dinette with table legs in stock location. [image]

The one leg is cut off to fit in the large hole after the table is rotated 90*. You can also see the new hole for the long leg.

* This post was last edited 04/25/12 06:09pm by mpike *   View edit history

mpike

Chico, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/12 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Left cabinet 4x4. You can see the bottom of the seat above. The right cabinet is similar. As Popeye noted these 4x4's will be custom to your particular TC. I had to rabbit the left bottom 4x4 to clear some floor channel. This system might not work on some shorter model TC's.

* This post was last edited 04/25/12 06:14pm by mpike *   View edit history

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Replacing dinette cushion with office chairs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS