|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Custom built swivel wheel trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
Billieg2

Lake Wales Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/12 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought a few of you would like to see a different swivel wheel design. I built this one like a lowboy trailer so it would be easy to get my Harley on and off. It can also be used for a golf cart or ATV. It uses 12" wheels instead of 8" and it's built like a tank.

I still have to put a gusset on the receiver arm and I'm going to put an alum. toolbox with a gen in it on the back. After seeing the cheaply made $6,400 ones I decided to build my own.

Custom built swivel wheel trailer

* This post was edited 04/15/12 05:20pm by Billieg2 *

In my life I've spent my money on women, booze, Harleys, guitars and traveling, the rest I just wasted...

2007 Ford F-350 diesel/dually & Sunnybrook Titan KSRV 39-1 Toy hauler 5th wheel hauling my custom Harley

hone eagle

essex ontario canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/12 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice work ,I sent this to a friend with the same dilema only he uses a BMW :-)

2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

vladen

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/12 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Straight up your hitch weld to the cross piece at one point only makes me nervous Id have to add some angled pieces or reinforce it in some kind of manner Pushing that trailer around side to side seems like a lot of strain on that one joint

Vlad's busy workings

All hope is gone

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/12 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a double wheel swivel wheel trailer and it most definitely did not cost $6800 dollars, and was quality construction, not cheaply made. And a better looking unit than yours from what I can see.

Yours looks okay, just needs a bit more work.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/12 01:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think the single center connection to the TV is going to work well. Too much possibility of flex. You are going to need two connections to the back of the TV spaced apart about the distance between the frame rails.

[image]

This tows fine. I have steering stabilizer shocks attached to arms I built on the front of the swivel assembly. Before I built them the wheels would get turned sideways when I went over a bump and the tire would come off of the road and would shock the whole thing straightening out. I made the connection for the stabilizers with a hitch pin so I could disconnect them If I needed to back up. My suspension units are the same as yours.

Jim

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

silverback31b2

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/12 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks good! Have you pulled behind the fiver yet? We are looking to do the same for a golf cart.

2011 Silverback 31B2
2017 F350 Superduty, Crew Cab, 8' box, 4x4, 6.7 PSD, Lariat, Loaded
BD3 Trailersaver air hitch
Tire minder TPMS
Disc brakes and gas shocks

The Texan

Home ... Toquerville, UT .. Summer ... Cascade, ID

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/12 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A nice looking unit, but I think you need to check the various state laws in regards to attachment points. IIRC, there are many states that specify 2 point attachment in order for it to be an extension, not a trailer. I have been pricing them and the only one with a $6K + price tag was the Idaho Tote, none of the others.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

rattleNsmoke

Western Conn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/12 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Billie,
You got one sweet fatboy. Can you slide the steering wheel chock over far enuff to get another Hog on the trailer? If so, you have a trailer that's better than most I've seen. Real nice work.
Mike

2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

remoandiris

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/12 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

IIRC, there are many states that specify 2 point attachment in order for it to be an extension, not a trailer.

OP, you may know and not care or you may not know...Fla law prohibits double towing of non-commercial vehicles. That is, another trailer behind your 5er.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.515.html

"Unless otherwise specifically provided for in this section, a combination of vehicles not qualifying as commercial motor vehicles may consist of no more than two units coupled together; such nonqualifying combination of vehicles may not exceed a total length of 65 feet, inclusive of the load carried thereon, but exclusive of safety and energy conservation devices approved by the department for use on vehicles using public roads."

Yes, I saw the text on your site that says it isn't a trailer. Did you verify with FDOT that they don't consider your trailer a double tow? With that said, if a second attachment point makes this trailer an extension and not a trailer, please let us know. There are several Fla members who would follow your lead on this method to take toys on trips. Hell, maybe you could start a business building these. I'd buy one!

2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/12 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are at least four companies that build these things. There are hundreds of them on the road legally every day. Washington is a no double tow state. They are legal here. They are classified as a load carrying vehicle extension.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Custom built swivel wheel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.