RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Ipad Navigation in the UP of Michigan - coverage areas?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Ipad Navigation in the UP of Michigan - coverage areas?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
nadsab

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 12:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi there,

We have a question for any fellow RV'ers who travel in northern Michigan and use Ipad's so navigate with.

We were thinking about purchasing a new IPAD 3, 3G/4G partly for use as a travel navigator instead of a garmin type navigators.

The sales person at Best Buy told us that for wireless coverage in the Upper Peninsula, that SBC - Ameritech 3G service is much better and covers more area than Verizon.

Also how is it up in Traverse city and leelanau areas for Verizon - SBC?

Can anyone verify this or give any input on this subject?

Thanks.

2003 Four Winds Five Thousand, 21RB, 23.5', Chevy Express 3500 chassis

csijeep

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live just south of Traverse City and I can tell you the area is up and running on AT&T 4G all around the Cadillac and Traverse City area. Regarding the UP, our AT&T smart phones worked great all the way west to Escanaba and north to Whitefish point.

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get good coverage on both systems along most main roads throughout the UP.

OEM Auto Engineer
2003 Damon Challenger 348 Class A - F53 Triton V10
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V8 Toad

W4MBG

Williamsburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

get a gps app that allows you to download maps by state or region. then you dont need 3g/4g/wifi to do basic navigating.

1999 Winnebago Minnie, 29', Triton V10, mostly stock. So far...

Shearwater

NE Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cell phone service is pretty spotty in the UP. Cities and towns have service but once you get off the main roads it's pretty iffy.

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!

I use an app called Co-Polit Live USA cost about $5.00 no need for your data connection. I used it last year traveling in the UP. It also has a RV setting in the app for height up to 13 feet.

"Happt Trails"
chiefneon

frogkisser

TEXAS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use "Navigon" that can be bought thru iTunes. You can buy the map by region or North America. (even europe etc if so desired)

The beauty of Navigon is you don't need to be connected to the internet because you have the maps on your iPad.

I have the "North America" edition and have used it quite extensively and won"t leave home without it.

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in the UP. 3G is spotty at best. ATT 3G coverage is almost non-existent. Getting a iPad with true GPS and using an app with it's own maps will be your best bet if you insist on using the iPad. I would still recommend a Garmin GPS.

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spent three weeks on the UP last summer. AT&T was come and go. Come in good in towns; go away as soon as you got out in the woods. Almost nonexistant above Houghton.

Garmin NUVI was spot-on the entire time.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs"

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had Verizon 3G and now Verizon 4G cellphones and have had the Internet tethered to our laptops for over 4 years. Last 2 years by bluetooth to our laptops. We go to the U.P. several times a year from the east end to the west end of the U.P and have had very few places we didn't have good cellphone service. Most times it is 3G with a few local areas dropping to 1X. Even at Tahquamenon Falls State Park Lower CG in a hole area, we had good signal for our laptops. You should have no problem. AT&T and Sprint cellphone campers in the CGs were telling us they had no service but we sure did always. I don't know about SBC service up there so I can't comment. In the L.P. you'll have a good signal almost everywhere in 3G and many places in 4G. I can't speak for your Best Buy salesman but I can tell you what we know by actually being there so many times. Verizon has far more towers than any other service provider in the USA. Remember that Verizon purchased Alltel about 2 years ago with their vast tower system to add to what Verizon already had. At the time, we had Alltel and then Verizon took over and honored the contract and the sevrice has been excellent all over the USA as we travel a lot. We're very happy with Verizon or we sure would change providers quickly. We upgraded to 2 new 4G Pantech phones with GPS about 3 weeks ago and even added a MIFI 4G standalone unit for up to ten linked laptops, (has nothing to do with our new phones as they also have unlimited Internet/wet built in and included with our service plan). This way, we each have the Internet at all times whether we have the laptops on or not. Hard to carry a laptop when on a hike or out fishing/swimming in the boat etc!

Our son and his wife lived very near Traverse City until last Dec and we visited them often and always had very good cell service including in the Sleeping Bear National Park and CG etc on Lake Michigan (our favorite place to RV and camp).

Verizon has a coverage map (red colored) in a pamphlet on a rack in the stores here. Should have the same in Texas. Map is roughly 2 years old and there are many more towers today.

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Ipad Navigation in the UP of Michigan - coverage areas?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS