|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Converting an older SRW StableLift into a DRW *PICS*

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
4xMike

Shepherd, Montana

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/12 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The '94 S&S that my wife and I just bought has an original factory-installed Stablelift jack system for SRW trucks and of course, I have a DRW. The camper was too good of a deal to pass up so I bought it anyways.

After researching, I found that used Stablelifts are difficult to find (impossible locally), new ones cost twice what I paid for the camper, and a set of Atwood electrics with swing-out hinges cost more than I paid for the camper.

So, I took some measurements, did some initial sketches, and over the next couple weeks I am going to take some backyard engineering skills of mine (and more importantly, a skilled friend's) and a pile of 1/4" plate steel and make this thing work before camping season really gets going.

I will post pics throughout the build as it will likely take place on weeknights about an hour at a time.

Here are some pics of the Stablelift as it sits now.
[image]

[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 04/27/12 10:06am by an administrator/moderator *

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/12 10:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only real difference between the single and dual stable lift now is the top plate is longer (extends under the wing more) and the tubes that run from side to side at the bottom are longer. They did away with the large diagonal brace.

rfuerst911sc

Marietta Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/12 04:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will be following this thread. I really like the theory of the Stable lift just don't like the price. I have been looking for a used one since I bought my TC in December. Good luck with the project.

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/12 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NorthernLimits wrote:

... They did away with the large diagonal brace.
My Stable-Lift does not have the diagonal brace. I have considered installing one. I use my lift to level my TC with the TC still on the truck. It does a great job other than a bit of side to side movement. When I take the TC off the truck, and use the three stabilizers, the TC is exceptionally stable. Without the stabilizers, the TC moves side to side more than I would like.

I have had my lift for over seven years, and did my own install. The lack of the diagonal brace is not a major issue, but I think it would make a good product even better.

Wayne

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/12 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reddog1 wrote:

NorthernLimits wrote:

... They did away with the large diagonal brace.
My Stable-Lift does not have the diagonal brace. I have considered installing one. I use my lift to level my TC with the TC still on the truck. It does a great job other than a bit of side to side movement. When I take the TC off the truck, and use the three stabilizers, the TC is exceptionally stable. Without the stabilizers, the TC moves side to side more than I would like.

I have had my lift for over seven years, and did my own install. The lack of the diagonal brace is not a major issue, but I think it would make a good product even better.

Wayne

I found that the 3 screw stabilizers that come with the lift were too flexy. I made a new set with 5/8 threaded rod and it was super.

v10scott

Aurora, Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/12 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the dually version of the Stablelift on my 2007 S&S camper. The outside measurement of the Stablelift is 107", My camper is 96" wide, I have about 3" clearance between the Stablelift and my fenders when I load. I can send you some pictures and other measurements if you need. Also if you call Mont at Stablelift, he is very helpful with any questions you may have.

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/12 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I am missing something here. How do you put the TC in the truck with those angle irons fixed to the bottom of the TC wings?
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

4xMike

Shepherd, Montana

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/12 10:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sirdrakejr wrote:

Maybe I am missing something here. How do you put the TC in the truck with those angle irons fixed to the bottom of the TC wings?
Frank

A SRW truck will clear fine, the angle iron & diagonal gussets/brackets are several inches outside of the bed rails of the truck when the camper is sitting in it. My problem is where they are mounted, my DRW fenders won't fit clear. It's 89" between the tubes and my fenders need ~98" to clear with an inch to spare on both sides.

I finalized my plans today and am picking up the steel tomorrow to do it. Thirteen feet of 8" wide 1/4" plate, 18" of .120 wall 2" DOM tube, and some grade-8 fasteners aught to do the trick. Will post pics when I start surgery.

1994 S&S 9.5' SC-B, StableLift, 2x6V golf cart batteries, LED interior lights
2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 QC DRW CTD 48RE to G56 6-speed conversion, Quadzilla 65HP Chip

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/12 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weld some tread plate on where the tires drive over the tube. It will save you when the tires are wet and/or muddy.

4xMike

Shepherd, Montana

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/12 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NorthernLimits wrote:

Weld some tread plate on where the tires drive over the tube. It will save you when the tires are wet and/or muddy.

The previous owner aleady did that, thankfully.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Converting an older SRW StableLift into a DRW *PICS*
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS