RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: First Time With No Hookups...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> First Time With No Hookups...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/12 04:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cm11599ps wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

By gauge do you mean the "idiot lights"? If so they are very "approximate".

I assume so. lol It gives the reading for battery, fresh, gray and black.

"idiot lights" is a good term. They are rarely ever accurate. They should get a feel for their tank size and not worry about the gauges.

How are they using so much gray water per day? That sounds like alot, even if the 30 gallon tote is 2/3s full.

cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/12 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My parents bought plastic plated and cups. They are not the disposable kind. That means they have to clean them. I think that's where the gray water tank got filled up. They left the water running, albeit trickling out. I think that's one of their mistakes. That may work if you have a sewer but without one you should probably use disposable stuff. It's the first time dry camping so I assume they'll learn their lesson. Who wants to dump a tote everyday? Not me!

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/12 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cm11599ps wrote:

My parents bought plastic plated and cups. They are not the disposable kind. That means they have to clean them. I think that's where the gray water tank got filled up. They left the water running, albeit trickling out. I think that's one of their mistakes. That may work if you have a sewer but without one you should probably use disposable stuff. It's the first time dry camping so I assume they'll learn their lesson. Who wants to dump a tote everyday? Not me!

Yea. No way would I worry with washing dishes on a dry camping trip. Definitely worth the few dollars for disposables!

1L243

Roseburg Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/12 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just realized that your parents TT is a Hybrid with canvas fold down walls for the sleeping area. This will make it much harder for the furnace to keep the place warm and in the 20 degree range the furnace would be coming on all the time during the night.

It'a new unit one would could assume that the converter should do at the least a mediumn level job of charging the batteries. I would not run out and by a new converter. If you ever have to replace it then find the best converter for battery charging. If dry camping is something your parents are going to be doing on a regular basis adding one or two more batteries (if room is availabe) would be the best bang for the buck.. If you did go with 6 volt Golf Cart batteries you would have 220 amp hours vs. two 12's which would have 170 amp hours.. Costco Golf Cart batteries about $80 each..

* This post was edited 05/03/12 07:00pm by 1L243 *

2011 Work and Play 30WR. Added 2nd AC, four deep cycle batteries.

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/12 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea, I think it would be a lot of trouble to dry camp in a hybrid in weather that warrants heat all night. Definitely need to add a battery or two.

cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/12 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't forsee them dry camping in this weather often. This one particular site only has water scattered around the park, not actually at any particular site. They do have a dump station. When camping in this weather it's easy to get a full hookup site on the beach which is ideal. In the summer it's tougher to get full hookups and there's a chance you will only have water but at least you wouldn't need the heat at that point anyway.

We are already thinking of upgrading so I don't think they want to put more money into the camper.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/12 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hershey wrote:

Bottom line: Everyone on this list at some time, had their first time RVing without hookups.......and they survived

For 25 years we camped on the Blue ridge Parkway. Dry camping at it's best. We had no Generator, and needed no electricity for ANYTHING. Light was propane lanterns, Cooking was on the fire or outside campstove, Heat? We had no heat. AC? we had no AC, and didn't need it. water heater was also the fire. Was great. We loved it, and would still be doing it. But the Camper wannabes took over the CG with their loud smelly generators.(ther in no such thing as a quiet generator in a primitive CG) Now it's like camping in a truck stop. The private CGs are much quieter.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

garyhaupt

Back living in Kitimat..northern BC.

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/12 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disposable sux. I use real plates, mugs and eat with metal knives and forks. If or when I bust something, I get another at a 2nd hand store. Camping is not punishment, it is fun.

Getting eating stuff clean is no big deal. If you are burning the plates, etc., that is just bad.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

theoakman

Hereford, AZ, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/12 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's my 2 cents worth, our rig is a 28' 5th wheel with no slides:

Warmth at night.....percale cotton sheets for warm weather. For cooler weather we use fleece sheets and pillowcases. Be sure to get the better fleecy stuff, some of the cheaper is not much different from the cotton. We also carry two lightweight fleece blankets. We learned a long time ago to always carry our two good quality down sleeping bags....they can be used as a cover or if it gets really cold we can crawl inside and zip them up.

We use a catalytic propane heater for chilly or cold nights. I think they are Olympian Wave models. We bought the smallest of three sizes for our 28' fiver and some times I wish we'd gotten the medium size. It is turned off when we go to bed (and don't forget to have a window near the heater cracked while it is operating) the sheets/blankets/sleeping bags can be adjusted to keep you warm.

You can also use lightweight window and ceiling vent insulation to help conserve heat and regulate nighttime light inside the RV.

Water conservation.....we call them navy showers. We have a standard shower head and I installed a shut off valve before the head.....the head is also a low water usage type. Our shower is right next to the throne and it is convenient for a bucket of used dish water that we use to flush the toilet.

Dishes washed once a day.

Batteries.....we have two high quality 12 volt batteries. I'd like to have two of the golf cart type batteries but the battery box is not tall enough for them. I considered making a larger battery box but the RV's aluminum frame is in the way of a larger door. I installed an after market converter and a Battery Wizard (I think that's what it is called) that reduces the charge level as the battery level comes up. Maybe that's what people are calling a two or three stage converter.

I've recently converted to LED lighting. I bought 10 LED units from EEZRV Products for inside the RV, they were a little more expensive but I like their sockets better. I bought ten more units on eBay from a company in China for $4.89 each and use them in the basement and outside lights. They give off a light that is more yellow, but still brighter than OEM bulbs. I haven't used the new lights yet so it will be interesting to see how we like them.

Cya l8r,

the oakman
funny, I don't remember being absent minded
funny, I don't remember being absent minded

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/12 01:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JayWalker2009 wrote:

Yea, I think it would be a lot of trouble to dry camp in a hybrid in weather that warrants heat all night. Definitely need to add a battery or two.

if you used Popup Gizmos or solar blankets in the canvas ends and Reflectix in the windows, you can cut down the amount of heating needed when camping in colder weather, in your hybrid.
we've camped in snow with our hybrid and by using these methods, didn't need the furnace that much.

i know you've been on the Hybrid forum and have probably seen many threads on this subject.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> First Time With No Hookups...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS