RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 106  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
adlereins

Tri-Cities of Apple Valley, Hesperia, Victorville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/15 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cindi Mac,
I'm not trying to be a smarta** but you're best bet is to start at the beginning of this thread and read. You will find more info here than anywhere else. Hopefully, you will become a member of this "re-purposed rental club". Have Fun [emoticon]

samven1

Hedgesville, WV usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/15 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cindi,
There is much good info in this thread but 40 pages of reading can hide much of it. Besides making sure that all the systems work and there is no sign of water staining look at the manufactures web page for similar models and make a note of all the standard equipment then check to be sure that those items are either on the unit you are looking at or that it is something you really dont need. Do not assume that you can just add an item after you get the unit home. Some things like an awning can be added but it may have to be manual and not electric but other things like roof antenna and tv are much more difficult. Many rental units are ordered as very basic models and even the wiring for options has been deleted. Also if you step into the unit and it smells like air freshener be VERY careful. It may just be covering a cigarette smoker but it may be covering the musty odor of water damage and mould. The later is more likely as smoking odor can be removed with a good wipe down and washing the cushion covers and drapes.

Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

Cindi Mac

Moab

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/15 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for responding to my post and yes, 40 pages, yikes only got to the 8th page, but very informative. sanven1, thank you also for giving me more insight ..this is a huge step for us, but what is, great is where we are purchasing this unit it's has been mentioned in this thread so it gives us some peace of mind. Our trade in after 9 months, 900 miles is worth HALF of what we purchased it for. So just being cautious.
Thank you again..
U rock
Cindi Mac

* This post was edited 10/11/15 02:26pm by Cindi Mac *

w3ozwizard

Lacey, Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/15 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can only speak from my experience with a Motorhome I got in May of this year from Cruise America. It is the 28A model. I have had it out most of this summer and it has been great. The only problem I had was that the kitchen faucet leaked and I opted to replace the handle and faucet with a fancy one my wife wanted anyway. All the functions of the MH work as they should. CA has a very good re-manufacturing process at their facility in Arizona. I am sure people smoked, pissed on the floor, jumped on the beds and generally did not treat it as they would one they owned themselves. But I have not seen any results of abuse after the process in Arizona. No stains, no smells or damage anywhere and I am very picky. The CA units are made at the Four Winds factory. I understand they take over the factory for about a month just building MHs for CA. They are built to the specifications of CA. Mainly they do not have things like awnings, TV antennas, steps external, and many other nice things you may want but you must understand that many, if not most, who are renting are new to the MH world and these types of things would cause problems. Even experienced MH owners forget to put their antenna down or steps inside the coach. They try to make them as idiot proof as they can.
BUT here is the difference you have to decide if it is worth it to you to buy one new or used off a local lot. I looked everywhere close to my home and found a difference of up to $20K in price for models of the same year by the same manufacturer. Yes, mine had over one hundred thousand miles on it, but the mechanical parts are designed to go way over that amount of mileage anyway. That would be more miles than I am going to put on it in my lifetime. You have no guarantee that the one bought from a local lot has not been abused as well and in most cases it may have just been washed up a little and that is about it. Check out the CA manufacturing process that is available on line. People I have talked to who have seen it, are very impressed.
I am very happy with mine and have added all the features that were not on the ones I looked at local and it was just a small amount to add them in contrast to the high price the local dealers wanted for a comparable MH. I have no affiliation with CA at all even if I sound like a salesman. I am just a happy customer. I also have the ability and time to fix just about anything that goes wrong with the MH. That is if I want to and at my age I opt to pay to have it done in many cases on all my vehicles these days. This is not my first MH and I knew what I was getting into. Just remember if you are new to MHing. you have in a MH, a house that is going down the road each day experiencing a very bad earthquake and things are going to fail and fall off sooner or later so don’t be surprised when things like that happen at a most inconvenient time.

2009 Four Winds Majestic 28A

HeWhoIs

Tampa Bay Area, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/15 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the awesome thread!

My wife and I are looking into buying a 2011 Cruise America Majestic 28a at the Kissimee, FL location. I had some concerns about buying a used rental RV, and this thread has addressed many of them. After reading most of the posts in this thread, I still have a couple questions.

*No leveling jacks: Is this an issue in real usage? I understand that the fridge will not work unless level, is this ever a problem?

*How hard/expensive is it to install a back up camera?

*How hard/expensive is it to install a ladder? Do I really need one? The RV will be stored at home, I'm thinking that I can just use a regular ladder for normal maintenance. Is that true?

*What does it cost to upgrade the shocks? I remember reading that several of you have done this.

*How good is the rooftop A/C? I live in Florida.

Thanks!

--Chris

--Chris
2004 Coachmen Leprechaun 314SS

w3ozwizard

Lacey, Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/15 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HeWhols, I would be glad to answer the questions you posted. I can not answer the ones that I have no experience with like replacing the shocks or putting on a ladder, which I am thinking of doing, but just use my home ladder to get on the roof when needed. So here we go:

1 There are no leveling jacks as that would be a thing a newbie would leave down for sure. I just use the normal yellow leveling pads you can buy at any RV store. No problem getting the unit level as long as you get level indicators again at your local RV store. They are very inexpensive.

2. I bought and installed a wireless backup camera system with a 7 inch monitor off of EBay delivered to my house for $88.00. Works like a champ and I have it on all the time to see when some big old truck is going to pass me, and to see if anyone is getting to close to me. It really works great and looks just like ones on the Internet that cost up to $300.00.

3. The rooftop AC works great for us. We were out in some 90 degree days and were comfortable, but living where you do. I would consider getting one or two of those vent fans called Fantastic Fans to augment the AC.

As far as things you may want to add to the unit, I would strongly suggest that you get a good GPS. I have the Garmin RV760LMT and I love it. I just wish the GPS in my BMW and my wife's car was as good. That unit is designed for RVs and has so many features that are helpful it would take me more time than I have here to list just a few. Also get a TPMS system for your tires. Tire blow out and failures are a major cause of many accidents in MHs.

I hope you find these comments helpful.

KristinU

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/15 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi HeWols,

We had a ladder installed as part of our purchase negotiation. After having a travel trailer without one, we like having one installed. Just so much easier to pop up there after driving under a low hanging branch to see what the scoop is (not that we've ever done that...[emoticon]) or just general maintenance and checking. We have a telescoping ladder that we bought and carried with our TT, so that's an option as well, but I think access while you're out and about is something that you'll really want to consider.

We're fine without leveling jacks, like W3ozwizard said, the "Lego" style blocks that we've had since out TT suit us just fine with the C. You'll want to sets of them if you plan to camp anywhere that isn't somewhat level already. We do state parks and the like and sometimes use most of the blocks from our two sets. But then there are other places where we use only a couple of them, or even none at all.

The thing with the fridge not being level is that it will work, but operating it way out of level for prolonged time will cause problems and eventually it will stop working. I believe there is something to do with crystallization in the ammonia (at least that's what I recall from the discussions on the pop-up board that I used to frequent when we had a pop-up) and the crystals cause problems with the flow for chilling. Also from my understanding is that today's refrigerators aren't as finicky as those in the past, so many people say that a few degrees isn't going to make a difference and that you'd be uncomfortable with the level of unlevelness before your fridge would.

Our A/C is a ducted single unit and does a fine job keeping it chilly in our 31 footer. We've had to replace the capacitor, but otherwise it has worked like a charm. Our first long trip was to the midwest in the summer of 2013 in some God-awful hot temps, so we put it to the test right away. I know FL in the summer is even hotter, though, so I'm probably not the best to answer.

Does the unit you're looking at have a rear window? We bought a Fresnel Lens for our rear window to buy us time while we searched for a good backup camera to meet our needs...that was over 2 years ago, we stopped researching cameras when we realized how great the lens worked and met our needs.

I agree with the GPS unit recommendation. If you do go with a backup camera, many of them allow for input from a camera. We're really happy with our Rand McNally 7715 (there are newer models out now), and I love that it interfaces with the Good Sam trip planner, so I can plan trips while sitting at my desk and dreaming of being on the road, then easily upload them to the device.

I can't speak to shocks, but we have a friend who installed Sumo Springs on his class A and just raves, They're like an airless airbag made of foam. So we're considering adding them to our Winnie to make the bumpy roads and potholes less jarring. I personally don't think its that bad, but DH thinks the ride could be smoother...plus it is another toy to add to the big toy [emoticon]

Best of luck in your decision making!

Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

HeWhoIs

Tampa Bay Area, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/15 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info!

We ended up not going this route. Could not reach a deal I liked with them.

Ended up buying a 2004 Coachman Leprechan 314SS instead.

Will look into those GPS units.

Thanks!

--Chris

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/15 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Op here, I was going to put this in the “What did you do to your Class C MH today “ thread but thought that it would be more informative to all of us owners of Former Rentals.

After I had changed my oil and filter and air filter I decided to take it in for that 100,000 mile checkup, a little past but it was time.

I took it to my trusted mechanic of 20 years, an RVer himself and he specializes in them. I told him to check out everything. It was good that I had a detailed copy of the service record of everything that had been done with the mileage and dates that El Monte RV had given me when I bought it. We went over that and he did a check of everything plus what it was time for, like my Smog Check.

So here is what was done. Trans flush and refill, new plugs and plug wire set. The cooling system was checked and coolant was replaced, it was time, Fuel induction system service, and the serpentine belts were replaced, full lube job. While it was up on the rack I had him check the brake hoses, they found that one was soft so I had them all replaced along with the fluid, a very good idea on a rig at this age and mileage.

They did find a small leak on the transmission tail shaft seal and it was replaced. Everything else checked out just fine.
It seems to stop better with a firmer pedal, and has much more pep. Can’t wait for the next fill-up to check MPG.

So I guess that I am ready for that next 100,000 miles.

* This post was edited 11/07/16 10:42am by IAMICHABOD *

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

kirbymurphy

Saint Louis

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/15 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love this thread since we too are looking. I do have a couple of questions.

Do you prefer a Ford or Chev chassis? I always thought the Chev vans I drove had a better feel than the Fords (too loose)

I see a lot of the the MH's come with the Ford V-10. Good? Bad? Same as the rest?

Thanks!

Low Cost E-Books

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 106  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.