RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 152  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pnichols

The Other California

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/24/20 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Majestic31 wrote:

I purchased a four winds Majestic 2011 28a last year, 120.000 miles on it I had to replace all of the tires, all new Bilstein shocks.rear camera,TV mount, 3 Vent covers, Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer Best addition so far, Sumo Springs bump stops Rear HEAVY DUTY, Front regular, Wheel alignment Looking to buy Sumo springs heavy duty rear fake air bag to try to stop the heavy bang in rear going over bumps, water empty rv unloaded still bangs going over bumps Sumo bump stops helped 50%,New passenger side mirror,Water filter system, Screen door bar, All new valve stems,


Wow ... why did you need to do all of that on a 2011??

By the way, I stopped the banging in the rear of our small (24ft) Class C on it's overkill E450 Ford chassis by having installed in just the rear two of Koni's (expensive) Frequency Selective Damping shocks. We have a much, much better ride due to the FSD shocks' light damping on potholes and road surface cracks. (These shocks switch to stiff heavy damping in other situations.)

The ride in the front has always been good with the E450 coil springs. Our chassis has always sat level regardless of how we load it. The front suspension shocks and steering shock are still original OEM after around 86K miles on the chassis. The E450 chassis also came stock with both front and rear anti-sway bars.

Since I first started looking for a Class C before we bought ours new in 2006, I wanted a chassis rated for a much higher loading than what the coach of a small Class C would require, and it has paid off. Unfortunately the combination of a chassis rated for considerably more weight than what is actually needed for a Class C coach is becoming very difficult to find nowadays. However, I think that for sure both Coach House and Lazy Daze still offer 22-24 ft. Class C motorhomes based on the Ford E450 cutaway chassis with the new V8 engine. This approach kindof goes along with ... "if you want a tool to be reliable and last a long time, buy a heavy duty one but use it in a light duty way".

* This post was edited 12/24/20 11:41am by pnichols *


Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Floridastorm

Orlando

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/24/20 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

El Monte rental purchases I believe still come with a 12 month/12,000 mile power train warranty. Do they offer any other service warranties that one can purchase, similar to Cruise America, since high mileage RVs are generally not eligible for extended warranties or service contracts? Also, does El Monte do repair and maintenance work similar to a regular RV dealer? If not or you don't take it to El Monte, who does your repair and Maintenance? The same question applies to a former Cruise America rental unit.

Thanks Much,

Dave

* This post was edited 12/24/20 08:28pm by Floridastorm *

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/24/20 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes El Monte RV still has their 1 year/12 month warranty,Cruise America discontinued theirs and now only has a 30 day 3000 mile warranty.

I was told when I bought my RV at El Monte RV that they would get a extended warranty if you wanted one,but they didn't push it as Cruise America does.

I was also told the reason being that they did not push it is that most times the extended service contract did not perform as promised giving El Monte RV a bad name.

El Monte RV does their own repair and maintenance at 2 locations one in Los Angeles CA and one in Orlando Florida They also will make arrangements for warranty work at many locations across the US.


2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C


Floridastorm

Orlando

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/24/20 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

Yes El Monte RV still has their 1 year/12 month warranty,Cruise America discontinued theirs and now only has a 30 day 3000 mile warranty.

I was told when I bought my RV at El Monte RV that they would get a extended warranty if you wanted one,but they didn't push it as Cruise America does.

I was also told the reason being that they did not push it is that most times the extended service contract did not perform as promised giving El Monte RV a bad name.

El Monte RV does their own repair and maintenance at 2 locations one in Los Angeles CA and one in Orlando Florida They also will make arrangements for warranty work at many locations across the US.


Sounds as though they are a pretty decent company. They have a 2020 Class C 23 FT Coachmen for $43,000. Their units seem to be more fully equipped than CA and also 2 or 3 years newer for a higher price. Their facility in Orlando is only 70 miles from my house.

SJ-Chris

San Jose, Ca

Full Member

Joined: 09/24/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/26/20 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roofing....

I have two 2015 Majestic 28a RVs from Cruise America. So far, quite pleased.

I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the roof on any of their Cruise America RVs that you've bought over the years. I was told when purchasing that Cruise America has some sort of special roofing built on these units that makes them less likely to leak, but I have no idea if that is true or not.

Question: What type of roofing is on these units? EPDM or TPO or something else???

So far, I haven't had any leak issues. Since they are 5 years old, I'm *tempted* to give them a coat of Dicor roof sealant as a preventative measure to hopefully give them several more years without any issues. (I bought about 5 gallons for another RV that I had but never ended up using, so I've already bought the Dicor sealant). It would be nice (and oddly satisfying?!) to have a beautiful clean, white new looking roof...but I'm not sure if it's worth it or not if I don't suspect any real problems. Thoughts?

Happy Holidays!
Chris


San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/26/20 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SJ-Chris wrote:

Roofing....

Question: What type of roofing is on these units? EPDM or TPO or something else???
Happy Holidays!
Chris


Happy Holidays Chris!

Here is a Sure Fire Way To Tell

SJ-Chris

San Jose, Ca

Full Member

Joined: 09/24/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/27/20 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

SJ-Chris wrote:

Roofing....

Question: What type of roofing is on these units? EPDM or TPO or something else???
Happy Holidays!
Chris


Happy Holidays Chris!

Here is a Sure Fire Way To Tell


I tried removing the vent trim per the video suggestion, but there was no visible roofing material.

I looked at the Dicor material I have, and here's what it looks like:
[image]
As you can see, it says it is for EPDM and also TPO roofing. I assume my Thor Majestic 28a MUST be one or the other, right? Could it be anything else??

Do you think it is reasonable to reseal my roof after 5 years (it is a 2015 unit) with this? Couldn't hurt, right?

My roof isn't leaking and looks very solid. Probably the main reason I want to do this is a)preventative maintenance, and b)I'm about to put solar panels on and I figure now is the time to reseal it BEFORE putting on the solar panels.

-Chris

Hoerschel

Colorado Springs

New Member

Joined: 12/08/2019

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/29/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SJ-CHRIS:
The 28a has a TPO roof. I confirmed it directly with Thor. Mine's also a 2015 with 116k miles and I had the same thought about dealing with roof maintenance once and for all. I wanted my first season up on the roof to be the last season I'd ever have to go up there again. Collective wisdom found in numerous places around the web led me to go with the Henry 887 100% Silicone Tropi-Cool roof coating and Henry 884 Silicone Roof Seam repair goop, available at most Home Depots (didn't find any at my local Lowes). Lots of videos online to guide you through the experience. Key is doing the prep work thoroughly to ensure the product bonds properly. (But DO NOT USE ACETONE or any petroleum product while cleaning. It will destroy the TPO.) I was concerned about a 50 sq foot area on my roof that was ponding water consistently. The beautiful thing about the Henry is that it is made for this and is 100% waterproof, rain-safe in 15 minutes and lifetime limited warranty. All-in, I probably paid about $500 for product and supplies and applied it myself. My local RV dealer wanted to charge me $5,700 for labor and a comparable 'proprietary' sealant they used, which he would not identify. It was not Dicor. Now I'm not a paid spokesman. I just love how mine worked out, similar to other experiences I've researched. Best wishes however you choose to move forward.

SJ-Chris

San Jose, Ca

Full Member

Joined: 09/24/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/30/20 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hoerschel wrote:

SJ-CHRIS:
The 28a has a TPO roof. I confirmed it directly with Thor. Mine's also a 2015 with 116k miles and I had the same thought about dealing with roof maintenance once and for all. I wanted my first season up on the roof to be the last season I'd ever have to go up there again. Collective wisdom found in numerous places around the web led me to go with the Henry 887 100% Silicone Tropi-Cool roof coating and Henry 884 Silicone Roof Seam repair goop, available at most Home Depots (didn't find any at my local Lowes). Lots of videos online to guide you through the experience. Key is doing the prep work thoroughly to ensure the product bonds properly. (But DO NOT USE ACETONE or any petroleum product while cleaning. It will destroy the TPO.) I was concerned about a 50 sq foot area on my roof that was ponding water consistently. The beautiful thing about the Henry is that it is made for this and is 100% waterproof, rain-safe in 15 minutes and lifetime limited warranty. All-in, I probably paid about $500 for product and supplies and applied it myself. My local RV dealer wanted to charge me $5,700 for labor and a comparable 'proprietary' sealant they used, which he would not identify. It was not Dicor. Now I'm not a paid spokesman. I just love how mine worked out, similar to other experiences I've researched. Best wishes however you choose to move forward.


Excellent info Hoerschel! Any Pics? What sort of prep-work (product) did you use? I was thinking of using this stuff:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/SAVOGRAN-1-qt-Liquid-TSP-Substitute-Cleaner-10632/205491255
And then rinsing with a pressure washer.

Question: Did you first use something like Dicor Lap Sealant over all of the existing sealed spots (ie. vents, front/rear edge, etc)? Or does the Henry's act as a good enough sealant over all those spots? I imagine edging with a paint brush over all those "trim" spots with 2-3 heavy coats during the process, and 2 overall coats everywhere else.

My roof doesn't seem to have any issues with leaking/etc. As mentioned in a previous post, I'm mostly doing this as a preventative measure (the RV is 5 years old) and also I'm putting up solar and kinda figure now is a good time to do it while I don't have 2-3 panels up there yet. Once done with reseal and solar, hopefully I won't have much need to go up on my roof for a few years (except for perhaps an annual cleaning).

-Chris

Hoerschel

Colorado Springs

New Member

Joined: 12/08/2019

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/30/20 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SJ-Chris:
SJ-Chris wrote:

I was thinking of using this stuff:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/SAVOGRAN-1-qt-Liquid-TSP-Substitute-Cleaner-10632/205491255
And then rinsing with a pressure washer.
----You're instincts are right on with the TSP. It is the recommended cleaner. Be careful, however, with a pressure washer as the intensity can damage the membrane. I applied the TSP with a soft bristle brush broom made for vehicles and rinsed it after attaching my hose to the broom extension wand. I'm sorry I don't have any photos.
----
Question: Did you first use something like Dicor Lap Sealant over all of the existing sealed spots (ie. vents, front/rear edge, etc)? Or does the Henry's act as a good enough sealant over all those spots? I imagine edging with a paint brush over all those "trim" spots with 2-3 heavy coats during the process, and 2 overall coats everywhere else.
----
Again, your instincts are right. You can use the Dicor or the Henry 884 for those areas that are gouged or originally insufficiently sealed from the factory (uh huh!) Otherwise, rolling or brushing on the 887 should be adequate too since both Henry products are 100% silicone and seal well. Just be sure you adequately clean the build-up of black dirt and environmental residue to get a good bond. This is where it took me the most time. On the previously sealed areas and around the perimeter I had to use a firmer brush and lots of elbow grease to remove the black layer of schmutz.
------
My roof doesn't seem to have any issues with leaking/etc. As mentioned in a previous post, I'm mostly doing this as a preventative measure (the RV is 5 years old) and also I'm putting up solar and kinda figure now is a good time to do it while I don't have 2-3 panels up there yet. Once done with reseal and solar, hopefully I won't have much need to go up on my roof for a few years (except for perhaps an annual cleaning).
-Chris

-------
My roof was also in very good shape, the aforementioned ponding issue actually common and not necessarily problematic. Otherwise, an annual maintenance check for tree limb gouges is wise and should be about the only reason you'd need to put a ladder up there. I'll let the rain and snow otherwise rinse my roof for me!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 152  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.