RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 152  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Floridastorm

Orlando

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/18/21 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Floridastorm wrote:

TwistedGray wrote:

Floridastorm wrote:

For those folks that have bought a 19G unit from Cruise America how do you like it? Does it afford enough room for two senior citizen adults. Most of the time I don't believe we would be using RV Parks as we normally like AIRbnb properties. Just interested in using the 19G traveling to and from and exploring wherever we land in comfort.



Q. How do you like it?
A. First thing you oughta do is go back and read through some pages in this thread (if you haven't)...nothing but happy campers, I'd say. I don't recall seeing a post from someone who regrets their purchase of a 19G from Cruise America.

Q. Enough room for two?
A. Short answer - yes. Have you been in a 19G? If not, go inside one with your spouse and see how easily you two can get into and out of the over the cab bed. Don't they have a location local to you?

Q. (not a question) Just interested in using the 19G traveling to and from and exploring wherever we land in comfort.
A. Here's where you lost me. If you are just going to stay in an AirBnb and not a campground then what's the point? Or are you saying that your AirBnb locations would be so far apart that you need something to sleep in in the interim as you drive between separated AirBnbs?


Thanks for the response. Yes, I have read over this thread a couple of times. However, just wanted more assurance from folks that may have bought the 19G specifically and what their pros and cons were for that unit. Just this week we stopped in at the CA Orlando facility, looked through the 19G, 23A, and 28A, and spoke at length with Jason who is the sales manager. We are most interested in the 19G due to its small size and subsequent maneuverability and also it seems to fit us quite well. Being very senior citizens I want to be able to park and travis areas where a larger unit would be a difficulty. We are not like most RV people. Really not into the RV lifestyle such as boon docking, RV parks, rallies, etc. Our purpose for a motor home is to get us from point A to point B comfortably and to be able to explore comfortably when we get to point B. For the last few years we have stayed in AIRbnb's and will continue to do so even with a motor home. The difference in expense is not really that great with decent RV parks now approaching the price of some hotels. I guess just different strokes for different folks.


Appreciate the response and information Twisted Gray

Let me explain a little more in detail. We are both Senior Citizens, 80 and 72. For the last few years we've been driving our SUV to various destinations and en-route staying in Hampton Inns. At our destinations we usually stay in AIRbnb properties for up to a week. As we get older it becomes more difficult to drive long distances in a car(SUV)having to stop every so often for bathroom breaks, food, and resting. The same difficulties entail when we get to our destination and having to use our car to get around. With a small motor home we can drive to our destinations and explore at our destinations in comfort. Still staying overnight at Hampton Inns and AIRbnb's will maximize our comfort over staying in an RV Park at night. No hooking up, unhooking, leveling, dumping the black tank a lot, lack of Wi Fi and TV, and putting up with typical noise to include rug rats and animals in RV Parks. If we did stay in RV Parks it would have to be in the higher end parks or adult only parks where the price would approach that of Hampton Inn and AIRbnb properties. I don't mean to sound officious. When you get to be my age you are not much interested in going along to get along. Only what's best for yourself and your partner.

Floridastorm

Orlando

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/18/21 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have conversed in person and via email with the Cruise America Sales Manager and he emailed me both of the Extended Service Agreements for powertrain and coach. The Cornerstone Service Agreement seems to cover everything, powertrain and coach. The United Service Protection covers only the powertrain. CA told me that the Cornerstone Agreement covers only the coach even though it shows the coverage for both. If the Cornerstone Agreement did cover both then I would not need the United Service Agreement for an extra $1,800. Can anyone clarify this for me? You can see by the agreement itself that it does cover both.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/KtbxLrjNXkMvcXRxNqFvwvxtvKkwbLwxjB?projector=1&messagePartId=0.3

TwistedGray

Monterey Bay, CA

Full Member

Joined: 11/16/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/18/21 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Floridastorm wrote:

Let me explain a little more in detail. We are both Senior Citizens, 80 and 72. For the last few years we've been driving our SUV to various destinations and en-route staying in Hampton Inns. At our destinations we usually stay in AIRbnb properties for up to a week. As we get older it becomes more difficult to drive long distances in a car(SUV)having to stop every so often for bathroom breaks, food, and resting. The same difficulties entail when we get to our destination and having to use our car to get around. With a small motor home we can drive to our destinations and explore at our destinations in comfort. Still staying overnight at Hampton Inns and AIRbnb's will maximize our comfort over staying in an RV Park at night. No hooking up, unhooking, leveling, dumping the black tank a lot, lack of Wi Fi and TV, and putting up with typical noise to include rug rats and animals in RV Parks. If we did stay in RV Parks it would have to be in the higher end parks or adult only parks where the price would approach that of Hampton Inn and AIRbnb properties. I don't mean to sound officious. When you get to be my age you are not much interested in going along to get along. Only what's best for yourself and your partner.


No one will ever complain about more detailed information especially when you're asking for recommendations. You've helped to confirm my suspicions : )

Yes, I think the 19G would be just fine for your use. It has everything you need and more should you ever need it. Just remember that you are also going to be doubling your gas expenses compared to your SUV.

Small size, very maneuverable through cities, plenty of headroom, all bathroom amenities, small fridge/freezer (aka cooler), a dinette area to have lunches/dinners, a small two-burner stove top, and turning the dinette into a bed would provide a temporary napping area. I know you old folks love your naps (completely kidding here), lol.

Floridastorm wrote:

Have conversed in person and via email with the Cruise America Sales Manager and he emailed me both of the Extended Service Agreements for powertrain and coach. The Cornerstone Service Agreement seems to cover everything, powertrain and coach. The United Service Protection covers only the powertrain. CA told me that the Cornerstone Agreement covers only the coach even though it shows the coverage for both. If the Cornerstone Agreement did cover both then I would not need the United Service Agreement for an extra $1,800. Can anyone clarify this for me? You can see by the agreement itself that it does cover both.


My only comment here is that most people do not buy extended warranties as they're rarely used (you can search this and any RV forum and find the same). You will also find that Cruise America is a pushy when it comes to extended warranties; whereas, other companies don't. There is a reason...

My two cents is to save the money you'll spend on the warranties and have it on standby should you need it, and in the interim either go through it yourself with a fine tooth comb or pay the $ for an inspection. If you are missing a screw, a tab is broken somewhere, something is lose, etc make sure to note that with your C.A. contact.

From everything I have read online and experienced myself, they are good when it comes to meeting the buyer's expectations.

Last thought - If you are going to buy it, buy it when you are ready to go on a trip to maximize the likelihood of breaking anything on the verge of breaking.

Okay, really the final thought ... a lot of people might recommend that you look into El Monte RV's used fleet as well. While they are more expensive, they are usually a better quality, and they have complete maintenance history as compared to C.A. which provides you with nothing.

TwistedGray

Monterey Bay, CA

Full Member

Joined: 11/16/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/19/21 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I created a Facebook group for 19G owners and/or those interested. If you are a social butterfly and want to join here's the link - https://www.facebook.com/groups/402432987512698.

roam1

Gulf Breeze FL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/06/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/19/21 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

don’t overlook the 19RD from Canadian Rental Company in Kelona!

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/20/21 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

roam1 wrote:

don’t overlook the 19RD from Canadian Rental Company in Kelona!


If you could find one like this it would be a lot more comfortable with the rear Dinette that makes into a bed.

Adventurer 19RD

Also a Short Video


2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C


Floridastorm

Orlando

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/20/21 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that the 19RD is set up much better than the 19G. Does CA sell the ex rental RD's in the US? And, I wonder if they would have generators as the rental fleet in Canada doesn't have generators.

Floridastorm

Orlando

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/20/21 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TwistedGray wrote:

I created a Facebook group for 19G owners and/or those interested. If you are a social butterfly and want to join here's the link - https://www.facebook.com/groups/402432987512698.


The only reason for considering the Extended Service Agreements would be for catastrophic things like engine, transmission/drivetrain, and generator failure. It is true, though, that not many people complain about catastrophic failure with CA motor homes. So, an extended agreement may be redundant. I have looked into El Monte. However, I don't think they have this 19G type model or anything comparable. Yes, I'm aware that using our motorhome the way that we want to will cost more than using our SUV and, in fact, will probably cost us more than the average RV owners who stay in RV parks and/or boondock. That's fine as we would only be going on trips 3 or 4 times a year for a week or two at a time. Other times we might go locally for a daytrip or overnight.

Sullyd61

Ma

New Member

Joined: 01/20/2021

View Profile



Posted: 01/20/21 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi
I ordered a 28a2017 through the Manassas va. Location . Anyone have any information about getting an inspection in that area . They say they are refurbished in Mesa Az. And then driven to va. Via .hired driver or 1 way rental. Has anyone purchased extended warranty and attempted to use it . Should I expect or ask for anew set of tires . Should batteries be new ? Do they do a complete trans mission fluid change with a new screen.

roam1

Gulf Breeze FL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/06/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/20/21 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Floridastorm wrote:

I agree that the 19RD is set up much better than the 19G. Does CA sell the ex rental RD's in the US? And, I wonder if they would have generators as the rental fleet in Canada doesn't have generators.


mine did not come with generator but it did come with generator installation bracket, I installed the superquiet qg2800i inverter generator and love it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 152  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.