RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 102  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HEY TRM1 #106.
Thanks for checking back in and letting us all know about your mods and the things you want to do. These thing are helpful to the other members.

It is really nice to hear back from members of the Former Rental Club and to hear that it has functioned flawlessly every time and that it's perfect for you [image]

Have a Great Camping Season and keep checking in with any new mods,that solar system does sound good.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

jonthebru

Maui

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/19 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD;
I check in every once in a while to this thread, I want to give you credit for keeping it going.
I don't yet own any RV, but I have rented 3 times from CA and are pleased with their rigs.
I especially like the recent post by TRM1 and Canuck Hauler with their detailed mods and upgrades.

My last rental was in April, renting a 23A in SLC and driving to Southern Utah, it was a blast! Spent one night at Devils Garden at Arches and ended at Bridger Bay Campground on Antelope Island.
It looks more and more in agreement with those who express the real value of a well maintained rental Class C. I'm pretty sure I would buy the extra drive train warranty but am still on the fence in regards to the longer House warranty.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/19 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jonthebru,Thank You for the kind words and checking in once in a while.

Also nice to hear is that you are satisfied with your experiences with renting a RV from Cruise America and seeing the value of buying one.

You do know that if you buy from CA they will "rebate up to $3,000 of your time and mileage rental charges back to the original credit card used in conjunction with your RV rental from Cruise America. You will have up to six months to take advantage of this rebate offer. It as simple as providing a copy of your rental agreement to your sales consultant at time of purchase. Please allow up to 2 weeks for processing."

The extended warranty (insurance policy) is up to you, but they are just that, and are in the business of making money not paying out if they can. The fine print or the interpretation of it is up to them.

(On Edit)While checking on the warranty for both El Monte RV and CA I noticed that CA has shortened theirs to 3 months/3000 miles while El Monte RV has kept their 1 year/12000 mile warranty that is free when buying the RV. Looks like they are really pushing the extended warranty as they did when I was looking for my RV,they were the same back then.

As for the house warranty,if you are handy most of these things can be done by you much cheaper or by a mobile RV Tech.

My experience with one was not a good one,long story,and not a good one.

I would just put that money aside and use if needed. I do not know of anyone yet that has used the extended warranty.

If you do decide to buy please come on back and share your experiences and thoughts on your purchase.

Good Luck.

* This post was edited 06/03/19 10:55am by IAMICHABOD *

Dcadaret

San Francisco

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Help with cruise America 2015 Thor majestic 23a not charging from alternator. My coach battery is not charging from alternator, I know my alternator works, and so does the battery, any suggestions for trouble shooting? I have checked all if the fuses I can find and reset the 40amp breaker.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the Forum and the Former Rental Owners club.I will add you to the list.[emoticon]

When I had the same problem I found that the problem was the continuous duty solenoid

This video may be of help to you. after I tested it out I found that it was not working so I changed it and now my alternator is charging the house batteries.

* This post was edited 06/25/19 02:26pm by IAMICHABOD *

craz z

Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dcadaret wrote:

Help with cruise America 2015 Thor majestic 23a not charging from alternator. My coach battery is not charging from alternator, I know my alternator works, and so does the battery, any suggestions for trouble shooting? I have checked all if the fuses I can find and reset the 40amp breaker.

Mines a bit older then yours but i doubt much if anything has changed.

Do you have a emergency start button near your left leg driver seat?
You may hear a small click when pushed. if held down have a helper check house voltage either up or same. if same. then its the relay.

Relay is located on the firewall near the brake booster should be real fun to get too.

basically its a isolated circuit that prevents the house batteries and engine batteries from comingling. Once voltage is over x it turns the relay on and sends power to the back for charging while engine on.

the emergency start is the bypass for checking the circuit it either works the relay or the relay is bad.

I have solar and make it go bi directional if the engine battery is low. you can turn the key and hold the button until it holds and then sends power to the front.

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dcadaret wrote:

There is a thread in the class C section on this topic. First step is to measure the voltage on the house battery and the engine battery when engine is running. The voltages will be almost the same if they are connected together with fuse, wire and probably a relay. A few tenths of a volt are significant for efficient charging and may be caused by poor connections or too light wire. Follow the connections from starting battery to house battery to find out where voltage drops.

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2004 Canadian Adventurer, 20 footer, bought the former rental in 2008. Here it is at Mackenzie, BC a couple weeks ago.
[image]
This was the second time I had to take it to a garage. The first time a couple of years ago I got the brake pads replaced and the mechanic made a little mistake on one of the front wheels. The metal tabs holding the pad in place weren’t in the right place and the brake squealed. I noticed the difference from the other wheel and got the mechanic to change it but the darn thing squealed for 2 years. It turned out a tab had been bent out of shape so had to be replaced.

The engine got a change of serpentine belts - the one they took off looks very good so it probably wasn’t necessary but I figured I might as well get it changed rather than worry about losing the alternator far away from home. It will surely last as long as we will drive it - maybe another 11 years?

The best mechanic in town says everything looks good underneath - U joints, shocks, wheel bearings, etc.

* This post was edited 07/03/19 09:36pm by Harvey51 *

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/19 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harvey51 thanks for stopping by the Rental Thread and talking about your Former Rental. It seems that it has been pretty much trouble free for a long time,another testament for the reliability of a RV that has been maintained well in a Rental fleet and of course your maintenance.

I will add you to the list of contributors to this Thread,you will be # 109.

I have noticed that you have no generator. In my research a while back it was noted by Cruise Canada that their Former Rentals had no generator,as did a few other Canadian firms that sold rentals.

I was wondering what the reason for this is, if you know. I have not heard of any RVs sold here in the US that come that way.

Here's to another 11 Years of great service and adventures.

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/19 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generators are a necessity for air conditioning in the hot south but not here in the north where we seldom need air conditioning. A solar panel is all we need for electricity in summer. We never plug in to shore power either. Travelling in winter when there is much less sunlight and low temperatures would also require more power for heating but we never camp in cold and dark evenings.

Thanks for your interest. We have been quite lucky in our former rental, some of it due to interest and learning about the RV.

I don’t need a second number in your list - I’ve had one for a few years.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 102  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS