RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 104  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/19 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PalmTreesForever,Welcome to the Forum. Also to the Former Rental Owners Club.[emoticon]

It is great to hear that they are willing to make everything right before you pick it up,a list of what the did would be nice.

I am looking forward to the update and how it all went and your experiences on this purchase. I am sure others here will get a lot of valuable information.

I don't know how much of the thread you have read but I have saved some posts that have some information on the upgrades and mods that others have done to their Majestics I can forward to you or anything specific you want to know about.

Good Luck on this and have a safe trip and enjoy it!

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

Majestic31

Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone replaced their leaf spring pack. if so did it make a difference. mine is a VERY HARSH ride. installed Bilstein HD shocks Full Sumo spring on top of leaf springs, Sumo springs bump stops, Rear Sway bar. I am trying to get it to stop the very harsh BANG

DilanYah

London

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a informative helpful thread! I am just looking for a new small travel trailer. I will not be looking at a micro-sized one - just a basic "17"-ish single-axle that doesn't require a one-ton pickup to haul around. My plan is to be able to use this from about March through October for weekend getaways. Most trips I will be traveling alone. My friends insist that I use RV rentals first instead of buying my own trailer https://travelsites.com/rv-rental/ . Maybe they're right.

* This post was edited 10/25/19 01:35am by DilanYah *

roam1

Gulf Breeze FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/19 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did purchase a Adventurer 19RD from Country RV (now Fraserway RV) in Kelowna B.C.
I had been looking for this floor plan for years in the US with no luck so I was willing to take a bit more risk and purchase used in Canada. The sales team was easy to work with and arranged airport pickup and transportation to the border and all import paperwork. We landed in Kelowna at 11 am and we’re across the border by 4pm.

The pictures sent and FaceTime used was low resolution so getting a very accurate determination of “wear n tear” was difficult. There were some stains on the upholstery and scratches along the passenger side body which I was not happy about but I guess to be expected after 30,000 miles of rental use. Everything in the coach worked but the black tank flush. I later determined it was installed backwards from the factory and an easily corrected. To my surprise Country RV installed a set of new tires. A car fax was supplied and indicated brake rotors and pads were replaced recently.

Things I did not think of until after purchase:
Canadian speedometers are in kilometers, sharpen up on your math or get an app!
No temporary plate was supplied, made for a nervous 3000 mile drive home.
Registration in Florida required a visit to the dmv certification office and lots of confusion around price paid (receipt in CAN$), mileage in kilometers, confusing import paperwork, and the computer would only allow make to be labeled Winnebago. I got it registered but it was a frustrating exercise.

Only other comment I’ll make is Adventurer would like me to work with a dealer when asked for info on framing schematic. Dealers are far apart and few between. I want to add a ladder, surf rack, sat antenna and getting info has not been easy,

Would I do it again, yes because it was the only option I could find for this floor plan.
It has worked flawlessly for 3 months and 3000 miles.

This unit has 2000# ccc (includes fuel, water, waste, people, etc) which is quite sufficient. It also has 10050 GVWR and 18500 GCWR which will allow towing a toad.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

roam1, Welcome back, I will put you on the list of Former Rental Owners that have contributed to this Thread, you will be #110 [image]

Thanks for coming back and sharing your experiences in buying a Former Rental,that was a very informative write up and I am sure it will help others. Also that you would do it again.

The CCC and GVWR sound very good for a small rig and the GCWR does allow for towing. The new tires was a nice surprise!

You said that you contacted Adventurer for some help, Was that the company in Yakima Washington?

Was clearing custom pretty much straight forward with no problems?

I also assume that the chassis was US built and 50 state emissions compliant and if you got the 2017 model was it built on a 2016 chassis as most of them here are on a year earlier.

Its great to hear that it has worked flawlessly for 3 months and 3000 miles. I now have almost 10 years and aprox 30000 miles on mine and it also has been flawless with no major problems.

Welcome again and I hope that all your camping and mods go as smoothly as possible,please return at anytime and let us know how it is going.

roam1

Gulf Breeze FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/19 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

roam1, Welcome back, I will put you on the list of Former Rental Owners that have contributed to this Thread, you will be #110 [image]

Thanks for coming back and sharing your experiences in buying a Former Rental,that was a very informative write up and I am sure it will help others. Also that you would do it again.

The CCC and GVWR sound very good for a small rig and the GCWR does allow for towing. The new tires was a nice surprise!

You said that you contacted Adventurer for some help, Was that the company in Yakima Washington? Yes!

The Country RV driver brought the rv through customs, completed the import paperwork and handed me the paperwork and keys on the US side, it took about 30 minutes

I also assume that the chassis was US built and 50 state emissions compliant and if you got the 2017 model was it built on a 2016 chassis as most of them here are on a year earlier. My 19RD is a 2018 model on a 2017 chassis, meets all US emissions and safety standards.

Its great to hear that it has worked flawlessly for 3 months and 3000 miles. I now have almost 10 years and aprox 30000 miles on mine and it also has been flawless with no major problems.

Welcome again and I hope that all your camping and mods go as smoothly as possible,please return at anytime and let us know how it is going.

Thanks! I contacted ALP again this week and hoping to get the framing data I need to install a ladder and surfboard rack, I am optimistic it will all work out, gentleman I spoke was helpful and looking for what I need.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/19 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

roam1 wrote:

You said that you contacted Adventurer for some help, Was that the company in Yakima Washington? Yes!

The Country RV driver brought the rv through customs, completed the import paperwork and handed me the paperwork and keys on the US side, it took about 30 minutes

I also assume that the chassis was US built and 50 state emissions compliant and if you got the 2017 model was it built on a 2016 chassis as most of them here are on a year earlier. My 19RD is a 2018 model on a 2017 chassis, meets all US emissions and safety standards.

Thanks for the replies IN RED this is all very good information,I will keep that tucked away for future use.

I would like to contact someone at ALP and ask a few questions about their Class Cs and see if they have any plans to release their products in The US. Any help there would be nice.
Thanks again and have fun with those mods.

TRM1

Temecula, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coming up on a year and still going strong. Some new tires, some new pinstripes (from a careless renter) and over 7k new miles since we purchased it. We towed waverunners to Mojave this summer and more recently our CanAm X3 Max to Ocotillo on a 14' trailer. Nearly 187k miles as I type this. The rentals I've had have nearly paid for the RV within a year.

Not a single major mechanical issue so far. I've fixed the floppy passenger mirror issue, vacuum loss when climbing hills affecting the dash vents, and will change the oil for the second time this weekend. There's no oil consumption and no drips or issues of any kind are evident on the bottom of the motor.

I've dealt with several plumbing issues caused by crappy repairs before my ownership. We replaced the shower pan base with a new one and I had to redo the black tank connections and vent.

The biggest job by far was ripping out the floor under the toilet in the bathroom to replace all of the plumbing and rotted board from a leaky valve. We had to remove the entire "vanity" and move it into the hallway. This was a 2 day project with some help and I'm glad to have it done.

I've added a PS3 and 40" TV with Vizio soundbar to the front above the couch along with a 1500w pure sine inverter so the girls can watch blueray disc or play minecraft while underway.

I added hinges to the top of the dinette seat closest to the driver so I could use that storage and also installed the wireless sub from the soundbar underneath.

Still thrilled with my decision to buy a high mileage ex-rental. It's basically free for me to use at this point and will start making me money in the spring. I have 3 more renters scheduled starting in March. In the meantime we will continue to enjoy it.

roam1

Gulf Breeze FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/19 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

roam1 wrote:

Thanks for the replies IN RED this is all very good information,I will keep that tucked away for future use.

I would like to contact someone at ALP and ask a few questions about their Class Cs and see if they have any plans to release their products in The US. Any help there would be nice.
Thanks again and have fun with those mods.

just a follow-up
I did contact a person in customer service and they supplied me with the framing diagrams I need to add a ladder and roof rack. ALP has been great to deal with!

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/19 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TRM1 #106 [emoticon]

Thanks for coming back and telling us how everything is going.It sounds like you are getting the use out of it you wanted and are pleased with your choice to buy a Former Rental, with no major mechanical problems.

The mods you described sound great and I am sure that they have been a real boost to your enjoyment of the RV.

It does sound like you have had a few problems to take care of because of the previous owners,that is something you have no control over and it seems like you have fixed them all.

It looks like that your plan to buy,enjoy it and also rent it out has worked out well.

This has worked out for some others as well.

A few weeks back while camping, as I was pedaling around the camp ground I came upon a Majestic RV, I stopped and talked to the people there and asked how they liked their Former Rental.

I was surprised by their answer,they were a Chinese couple and their 3 children and an older gentleman.

They told me that they had rented it. They said that a person from their community had 5 of them and only rented to members of that community they lived in,there is a large Chinese community near here and it seem that he is doing well at this because they said that they had to make reservations many months in advance.

So I guess that there are many owners of Former Rentals that have made good use of their RV no matter how it is used.

Thanks again for coming back and sharing your experiences with that Former Rental.

I hope that your camping season goes well,I am loading up right now for our annual Thanksgiving Trip,hope it doesn't rain.

* This post was edited 11/21/19 12:20pm by IAMICHABOD *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 104  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS