RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 116  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MtnBikeMarty

phoenix, az

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Floridastorm wrote:

MtnBikeMarty wrote:

eldel wrote:

Yet another CA about to be purchaser. Put the deposit down - should pick up the 28A in about a month. Just thought I'd say thanks to all the folks that have put so much good info into this thread.

Hey eldel! I was thinking if you're getting your 28A from the CA in Mesa, AZ, and if you're an RV newbie like I was, I hired the guy from rveagle.com https://rveagle.com/ to meet me at Cruise America and the salesman let us go through the RV in the backroom before I signed the paperwork. He charged me like $85 (in 2016), found a crack in roof, battery showing low amps, window missing clip to hold open, a non working refrigerator light, dashboard fan switch not working, and it seems like there was something else, but I blame my poor memory on beer drinking. Anyway, all were fixed/replaced while I went out for lunch, came back and did the paperwork. I found it as worthwhile, since I was an RV newbie.

MtnBikeMarty

Did you have the inspection done prior to the refurbishment of the unit or after? Did CA agree in the contract to mitigate the deficiencies that the inspection report detailed?

Thanks,

Dave

Hey Dave,

No not before, my unit was actually availabe on the lot amoung about 3 others to pick from, i.e. the refurbishment was complete and ready to purchase. I picked it based on mileage and cleanliness inside, got the one with the lowest miles and least scratches, general wear and tear on the inside.

MtnBikeMarty

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/20 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TerraTraxx wrote:

Hi all! My wife and I are purchasing CA 28A out of Kissimmee, FL in a few weeks. We actually put our deposit down last month but their refurbishment process is backlogged with high demand and the whole COVID-19 situation.

Just want to say thanks to all the contributions in this thread which has been a big help in our buying process. Very cool to see that people have had good experiences with Jason Go out of the Kissimmee location as well!

TerraTraxx

Welcome to the Forum,also a future member of the Former Rental Owners Club.

I Know that this thread is long but there is wealth of information contributed by our Forum members,hopefully it has been helpful to you,also maybe answered some of your questions.

When you pick your unit please come on back and share your experiences on the purchase and your comments on how it went and what you liked or didn't.

Again Welcome to the Forum and I can't wait to hear back form you after the purchase.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

MtnBikeMarty

phoenix, az

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update to my Majestic 27G.

Installed the RoadMaster Front anti-sway bar yesterday, I'd say a medium plus scale for DIY, because you need the right tools (sockets, deep sockets, extensions, breaker bar, torque wrentch, etc. Air tools would have been a pleasure) I did it myself in just under 3 hours, a second pair of hands would have helped lifting up to bolt in, I finally put my jack under it to lift it. The other delay was two of the saddle bracket bolts were super tight, had to use the breaker bar to remove them.

But well worth the sweat equity, time and $$, the test drive was super firm/stiff drive, even driving off the driveway curb wasn't the usual tossing everything in the coach around. Took it on the freeway for a bit, but no semi's on the road to test the blow by.

I learned that I really needed it with a quick test I discovered... grab your sway bar and try and move left to right, my old one moved 2-3" of play. The new bar and new urethane bushings didn't move a bit.

Here's pics: the old (skinny) bar and new (beefy) bar side by side,
[image]

And the left and right install.
[image]
[image]

Just ordered the Hellwig rear sway bar, I decided on it cause it requires NO DRILLING in your frame, compared to the RoadMaster unit. I'm thinking because it's size/weight and tighter space under the rear, I'm going to see if my neighbor has time (and a FACE MASK) to help me install. Stay tuned...
MtnBikeMarty

* This post was edited 07/01/20 05:29pm by MtnBikeMarty *

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/20 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MtnBikeMarty wrote:

Update to my Majestic 27G.

MtnBikeMarty
Thanks for the posts with pictures on your Majestic 27G E-450 front end upgrades,I am archiving them all. I will have them for others if they are needed for up grades on their E450s.

Keep them coming, I am looking forward to your next up grade and your comments on the install and the end results. This is great and the way that this Forum is to be used,doing things and in turn helping others.

Great Job!

captjoe

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/20 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just finished reading the whole thread, 2 days but well worth it. Thank you. I recently bought a Majestic 23A but haven't traveled yet due to Covid. Only 350 miles from VA. home to NC.The steering was VERY loose and sloppy so did a lot of research and found this. http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=40337.0 I had it done and it's now worlds better. I have one question, how strong are the roofs? I'm a big guy, 300+, and am kind of leery to get up there. I had it inspected before buying but I would like to be able to get up there occasionally and check things for my self. Thanks

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/20 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

captjoe
Welcome to the RV Forum and the Former Rental Owners club! I will put you down as member #117 of forum members that own Former Rentals. [image]

Wow you plowed thru the thread,I hope that it did help. The thread that you referenced is from Harvard,a well known authority here on this Forum for instructions on how to make those Ford Chassis based RVs handle better.

As for the roof I cannot say,I know that my Tioga has a walk on roof and I would hope that one of the owners of a RV like yours will chime in.

Again welcome and I hope that you will enjoy this camping season if things get better,please come back and tell us how it is going or if you made any mods that you can share for the other owners.

texasvwnut

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update -

I picked up my CA 23A from the Denver (Federal Heights) office this afternoon. My wife and I spent three hours going through and detail cleaning the inside. We need about an hour more work inside and will be hitting the road heading back to the Dallas / Fort Worth metroplex.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

texasvwnut wrote:

Update -
I picked up my CA 23A from the Denver (Federal Heights) office this afternoon. My wife and I spent three hours going through and detail cleaning the inside. We need about an hour more work inside and will be hitting the road heading back to the Dallas / Fort Worth metroplex.

WhooHoo texasvwnut,Thanks for the update,what a nice way to celebrate the 4th of July.

I will put you on the books as member # 118 of Forum members that are in the Former Rental Owners club. [image]

I hope the ride home was a good one and all went well.

Please come on back when you can and tell us about how it went and what you think of the experience.

Again Congratulations on the purchase and I hope you will enjoy many great camping trips.

nrbrooker

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of buying a Cruise America RV, 2015 28a, and was so excited when I stumbled on this forum!

I was planning on getting an extended warranty because me and my wife are new to rving and would like the piece of mind. From other Cruise America owners perspectives, do you think it is better to get the extended warranty through Cruise America or to use another company like Good Sam's? I would love some perspective on this. I believe my unit will qualify for Good Sam's as it only has 98,000 miles. Very lucky I think..

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/20 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nrbrooker

Welcome to the Forum,also a future member of the Former Rental Owners Club.

I Know that this thread is long but there is wealth of information contributed by our Forum members,hopefully it has been helpful to you,also maybe answered some of your questions.

When you pick your unit please come on back and share your experiences on the purchase and your comments on how it went and what you liked or didn't.

Again Welcome to the Forum and I can't wait to hear back form you after the purchase.
As for the extended warranty there is a thread now running that may be of help to you.
Click Here

The Good Sams would be a better choice if you could get it.It is not a warranty but an Extended Service Plan that not only covers the chassis but also the coach and trip interruption, unlike the other one.

* This post was edited 07/06/20 02:05pm by IAMICHABOD *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 116  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.