RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 123  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
texasvwnut

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/20 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fadumpt wrote:

The power cable isn't completely hardwired in the 2015 cruise america 28a (not sure about other models and years) the other end is still a plug-in. It's basically a moot point but useful to know if you ever needed to replace it, etc
The little door says Furrion 30a 125v
[image]
[image]
[image]

I had to go look at my 2016 23A and I stand corrected. Mine is set up much like fadumpt's 2015 28A.

This is good news as I might want to replace the cable now that I know it should be an easy swap.

2016 Thor Majestic 23A
Ex Cruise America RV Rental

texasvwnut

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/20 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On question for purchasers of former Cruise America rentals. Do you remember how long it took for you to get title from Cruise America in the mail?

fadumpt

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

texasvwnut wrote:

On question for purchasers of former Cruise America rentals. Do you remember how long it took for you to get title from Cruise America in the mail?

It took about 3 1/2 weeks to get the title and about the same to get the $300 rental car reimbursement check.

2015 Thor Majestic 28A
Ex Cruise America Rental

eldel

Northern Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/20 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just found out my 28A is due in Denver this weekend. Of course it has to get inspected and issues fixed but now that it's getting more 'real' I'm trying to come up with a list of possibly sensible upgrades. To be modified by experience once I actually use it of course.

So far at the top of the list are rear view camera, TPMS (due to the dual rear wheels), Driver/Passenger seats, shocks and sway bar. I was wondering about leveling jacks. Has anyone added these as an aftermarket option? Is there an accepted opinion on whether or not it's a good idea?

Thanks

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/20 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eldel,that sounds great. Your list of upgrades sounds very good.

On the TPMS make sure that you put them on metal valve stems, I would suggest the Extended Valve Stems from Dually Valve is a great choice. They make checking the air pressure a lot easier and are made for TPMS use.

A good set of Bilstein Shocks would also be a great addition.

Good Luck on the pickup of the RV and please come on back and tell us how it all went.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

cencerrita

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

On the TPMS make sure that you put them on metal valve stems, I would suggest the Extended Valve Stems from Dually Valve is a great choice. They make checking the air pressure a lot easier and are made for TPMS use.

Good Luck on the pickup of the RV and please come on back and tell us how it all went.

We had dually valve stems already fitted by Cruise America on our 27G which i always thought was great. Then i thought about my spare which had a long straight stem for the inner dualy position and wondered if it would cause a problem fitting this anywhere else if needed in an emergency (never had to do it). Also there has been problems with renewing tires and the valve stem getting in the way on the tire rig - with difficulty it was done twice OK. The problem being Walmart did not have any spare stems.Any ones thoughts on trhois and is it a good idea to carry a spare set?

www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. Seeour web site for US travels www.cencerrita.com

cencerrita

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cencerrita wrote:

IAMICHABOD wrote:

We had dually valve stems already fitted by Cruise America on our 27G which i always thought was great. Then i thought about my spare which had a long straight stem for the inner dualy position and wondered if it would cause a problem fitting this anywhere else if needed in an emergency (never had to do it). Also there has been problems with renewing tires and the valve stem getting in the way on the tire rig - with difficulty it was done twice OK. The problem being Walmart did not have any spare stems.Any ones thoughts on trhois and is it a good idea to carry a spare set?

Just found this on trhe dually link given
TPMS
Duallyvalve stems DO NOT work with INTERNAL TPMS. Duallyvalves can work with External TPMS that go on the end of the valve stem.

Balancing
Having Duallyvalves makes it difficult for the tire shop to balance your inner tires on a standard machine due to the long inner valve stem. Duallyvalve is compatible with internal Balancing Compounds.

Tire Rotation
Having Duallyvalves make it difficult for the tire shop to rotate your tires. Inner stems, Outer stems and Front stems are all different. You can rotate Inner with Inner, Outer with Outer and Front with Front.

MtnBikeMarty

phoenix, az

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eldel wrote:

I just found out my 28A is due in Denver this weekend. Of course it has to get inspected and issues fixed but now that it's getting more 'real' I'm trying to come up with a list of possibly sensible upgrades. To be modified by experience once I actually use it of course.

So far at the top of the list are rear view camera, TPMS (due to the dual rear wheels), Driver/Passenger seats, shocks and sway bar. I was wondering about leveling jacks. Has anyone added these as an aftermarket option? Is there an accepted opinion on whether or not it's a good idea?

Thanks

All good upgrades, and consider the steering stabilizer, my original one was week and could be moved with two fingers when I took it off.

As for leveling jacks, I skipped them, just stuck on two stick on trailer levelers just inside the coach door. Like these.
[image]
Then I have couple scrap wood 2x8's, and 20 ton bottle jack from Harbor Freight (for flats if needed) that I bring in the RV. Also a couple a jack stands at home, but in almost 4 years of use, I have yet to need any of them, RV campgrounds have level spots, and dry camping, I've always lucked out and found level ground.

One added bonus of the new front and rear beefier sway bars, the RV has little to no rocking when camped and people walking around inside.
MtnBikeMarty

rx4md

san marcos, ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rex60baker wrote:

Recently bought a used Class C 2019 Coachman 220QB from RV dealer they obtained from Road Bear RV. 22k miles and like new. The overhead cab window has the Road Bear name on it and trying to remove. The window is plexiglass so I can't use chemicals or heat. It doesn't seem to be a decal and can't feel it raised like painted letters. Using light polishing compounds but not very successful. Any ideas out there?
Thanks in advance! Great forum!

We just made the same purchase Rex60baker. How has your experience been so far? This is our first MH and truth be told I have anxiety about buying a former rental though as you say, " 22k miles and like new". Any feedback, good or bad, is appreciated!

nrbrooker

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, I finally purchased a 2015 Thor Majestic 28a from Cruise America last weekend. Only 99,000 miles!! I am wondering if anyone with this model of RV has increased there battery bank to two 6 volt or two 12 volt batteries. I don't believe the battery compartment in its current state is large enough to fit two batteries unless the metal slide out tray is modified. Is this even possible to make the battery tray larger? I really want to be able to boondock and am unsure of how to solve this problem or where else the batteries could be moved. Ideally I would like to get two 6 volt AGM. Anyone know what type of business could modify the battery tray to fit two batteries?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 123  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.