RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 124  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MtnBikeMarty

phoenix, az

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nrbrooker wrote:

Hi, I finally purchased a 2015 Thor Majestic 28a from Cruise America last weekend. Only 99,000 miles!! I am wondering if anyone with this model of RV has increased there battery bank to two 6 volt or two 12 volt batteries. I don't believe the battery compartment in its current state is large enough to fit two batteries unless the metal slide out tray is modified. Is this even possible to make the battery tray larger? I really want to be able to boondock and am unsure of how to solve this problem or where else the batteries could be moved. Ideally I would like to get two 6 volt AGM. Anyone know what type of business could modify the battery tray to fit two batteries?

Hi nrbrooker,
Congrats on the 28A, I really liked that model, we rented it for a week trip to Moab Utah, but we decided on the 27G, that they have since stopped offering, it's alittle shorter but still on the V10 chasis. Anyway, I'm currently looking into going to 2 batteries. I asked my local RV shop (state trailer supply) but they wouldn't do it. The 27G like the 28A looks like there is room in the pull out tray, but would definitely have to be modified to hold two. My only suggestion for now, is check out the you tuber"RV with Tito DIY".
https://www.youtube.com/c/RvwithtitoToday/featured
He does alot of Class C upgrades and seems to really know solar and battery upgrades.
MtnBikeMarty

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fx4md
Welcome to the Forum and the Former Rental Owners Club,I will add you to the list of happy owners. You will be #120..

Hopefully Rex60baker may see this and respond,You might try to send a Private message sometimes they don't watch this thread often but a PM may work well.

Again welcome and come on back and tell us how everything is going with that new to you RV.

* This post was edited 07/31/20 11:22am by IAMICHABOD *

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nrbrooker

Welcome to the Forum and the Former Rental Owners Club!

I will add you to the list of happy owners,you will be #121.

I have a post that may be of help for that battery tray,Look at This The pictures may help a welder do what you want.

It is very close to what you want and can be welded up. I found that when I needed welding done and was looking for a good welder I went to
YELP and found what I needed and got a very good job at a fair price. You might try these in your area.

Again welcome to the Forum and the Club,when or if you get this done please come on back and let us know how it went,there are many others it may help out.

cencerrita

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nrbrooker wrote:

Hi, I finally purchased a 2015 Thor Majestic 28a from Cruise America last weekend. Only 99,000 miles!! I am wondering if anyone with this model of RV has increased there battery bank to two 6 volt or two 12 volt batteries. I don't believe the battery compartment in its current state is large enough to fit two batteries unless the metal slide out tray is modified. Is this even possible to make the battery tray larger? I really want to be able to boondock and am unsure of how to solve this problem or where else the batteries could be moved. Ideally I would like to get two 6 volt AGM. Anyone know what type of business could modify the battery tray to fit two batteries?

Hi with our 27G one battery and 200W solar and a 110v inverter we boondocked for 4 years no problem. During the day we used as much power as we wanted when the solar was going and then went down to minimum at night. laptop on battery for videos. The $100 standard battery from Walmart worked well and after 2 years we replaced it as we felt it was notr holding so great. This was a huge saving compared to going for 2 x 6V AGM or lithium and for us this was the way to go.
If you have day after day of rain and no sun then that is when the problem will start - 7 days of rain in Orgeon in a forested area was tricky [emoticon]

www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. Seeour web site for US travels www.cencerrita.com

eldel

Northern Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 28A came home with me today. Now I'm looking at how to mount the (Haloview) rear view camera. I'm going to power it from the marker light but I'm unsure about the best way of fastening the mount to the body. 4 holes and self tapping screws? Epoxy? Other?

Ideas gratefully received.

texasvwnut

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eldel wrote:

My 28A came home with me today. Now I'm looking at how to mount the (Haloview) rear view camera. I'm going to power it from the marker light but I'm unsure about the best way of fastening the mount to the body. 4 holes and self tapping screws? Epoxy? Other?

I can’t help with your installation, but would like to see how you did it and the final product.

2016 Thor Majestic 23A
Ex Cruise America RV Rental

texasvwnut

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ex Cruise America rental owners, did your battery come in a plastic battery box? What size battery did your coach come with?

fadumpt

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eldel wrote:

Working on this exact same thing right now with a wired rear view camera (separate post to come)

The marker light has some plywood that it's attached to that is thick enough to screw the camera to.
- Unscrew the marker light and let it hang.
- Drill a hole, to match the camera's hole for cable pass-through, below the market light (figure about 2 inches or so
- Mount the camera with cables going through the hole (and fed up and out the marker light hole) with 4 screws.
Note - We used a rubber gasket (I think it was about 1/4" thick) to screw the camera to the wall.

- For a wireless setup, you should just have to wire your camera power to the marker light power and stuff everything through the marker light hole and screw back in.
- Turn on your lights and the camera is on.
- Caulk and seal up everything as necessary.
[image]

2015 Thor Majestic 28A
Ex Cruise America Rental

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eldel wrote:

eldel

That sounds great!
I will put you on the list of happy Former Rental Owners.Welcome to the club,you will be #122

I did find a thread that may be of help when you install that rear view camera.

Rear View Camera Install

Good luck on the install,please come on back and tell us how it went and any pictures of the install if possible,I know that it will help others.

I hope that you have a great camping season with that new to you RV.[image]

cencerrita

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

texasvwnut wrote:

Ex Cruise America rental owners, did your battery come in a plastic battery box? What size battery did your coach come with?

My 27G came with a Type 31 battery 330mm long x 170mm wide and 230mm tall - (13 x 6.7 x 9 inches). This is the same as a 28A.
Note that the type number gives you the connections used for cables and when I changed mine I used a different type number which had posts and screw connections on it. This was great when I fitted solar cables giving me more connections and a choice of coinnectors for cable ends

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 124  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.