RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 127  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
eldel

Northern Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Iamichabod. Looks like the prices are about the same. The 100AH batteries are about $900 - $1K each, the 200W panel(s) with installation are about $1K. Add tax and we're in the same ball park.

Not inexpensive - but without some 'interesting' changes to the underside of the rig I can't get 200AH in there without using the LiFePo batteries because of their size. Actually it's marginal that we can get both of them in there as it is.

gazebo

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just want to share my experience of trying to buy used rental from El Monte dallas location.
I found one 2019 Coachman Leprechaun 270QB, 30 feet long, with only 41K miles
on it. Tires looks good with build date as 43th weeks of 2019.
So basically the vehicle is about one year old.
The price is at the lower end of NADA guide.

We just had heavy rains for a few days due to hurricane Laura,
I believe it was a good timing to check RV leaks.

The visiting experience is good.
They don't neogtaiate price and also don't push me,
I just take me time to check it out. Aks any question if I want.
They printed out a few pages of maitenance record of the RV,
it seems every few weeks they spend $250 dollar labor to do roof inspection.

I did not find any leak or watermark in various wall, ceiling, cabinet places.(But I forgot to check the bunker bed above driver seat)
I did a test drive and found it's really noise to drive
a class c with Ford 350 chassis. But from online posts it
seems such a noise is normal.

There are a few costmetic issues, mostly applicances work well
as expected. I put $1000 deposit and asked for the dealer
to get some minor things fixed or ajusted.

On the day to pick up the RV, my kid climbed to the bunker bed
and found the bottom of mattress towards the RV front side is little wet,
then use flashlight we found there are some little water among those
cotton-like insulation material.

We are the first time buyer so kind of freaked out immediately,
and asked the dealer to cancel the order.

After going home and did some research it seems it's very common problem
in those bunker beds, probably because it is built with a few parts stitch
together and seals can get cracks easily due to any driving movements.

I just wonder whether I should take the risk to buy it if
it's really not a big issues.

[image]

* This post was edited 09/04/20 06:29pm by gazebo *

fadumpt

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/20 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personally would avoid any rv that has been leaking. You have no idea how much damage the water has caused. Find a dry one and keep up with the maintenance for the cap seals.
The other option is to find out if they will completely repair the damage... But you have to be sure they took care of everything.

Per the "noise, vibration, and harshness" issue. A lot of this is going to be normal. Think of these as uhaul trucks as opposed to passenger vehicles.

2015 Thor Majestic 28A
Ex Cruise America Rental

Germax

Toronto

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just came back from 9000KM round trip Ontario to BC.

In the beginning of the trip RV stalled as I was coming to a stop at the rest area. This was strange but it never happened again.

The rest of trip was trouble free and a lot of fun.

Over period of three weeks we did more mileage than previous owner in 6 years [emoticon]
We are absolutely pleased with our 2008 Majestic 23A and are looking forward to future trips.

Thanks for the all advice here. It help us to dare to get on 9000KM shakedown ride [emoticon]

PS - Go see Rockies in Canada, amazing nature...

Ermin

eldel

Northern Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/20 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our (much delayed) first outing. Glendo state park Wyoming. This was shot on the last afternoon - about 4 hours before the snow started. No - we didn't hang around for that.

[image]

gazebo

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My local El Monte just listed one 2020 Coachmen Leprechaun 260RS on its website for $58K.
When I searched the model on rvtrader.com I found the same week many RV dealers
across the country start selling the same model (same internal floor plan,
curtain, and dinette). Seems they all bought from El Monte and added
another 5K or 10K to sell again.

Those 2020 Coachmen Leprechaun 260RS mostly has 25K ~27K miles on it.
The picture shown those RV actually manufactured in March 2019.

[image]

[image]

So I wonder whether El Monte selling 2019 model as 2020 model ?

gazebo

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another question, anyone feels that the material used in El Monte RV such
as sofa, dinette cushion, cabinet are cheap and low quality ones, compared
with the non-rental RVs

Official One:
https://coachmenrv.com/class-c-motorhomes/leprechaun/260RS/4112#lg=1&slide=3
Used El Monte Rental:
[image]

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/20 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gazebo wrote:

My local El Monte just listed one 2020 Coachmen Leprechaun

Those 2020 Coachmen Leprechaun 260RS mostly has 25K ~27K miles on it.
The picture shown those RV actually manufactured in March 2019.
So I wonder whether El Monte selling 2019 model as 2020 model ?

This may help you,it is quite common to have a year different on chassis and when the RV was sold as. Mine is a 2006 but the Chassis is a 2005,This model on a Chevy Chassis was only sold starting in 2006,MFG date is April 2006,you may find that on the RIVA sticker on the RV.

Here is an explanation from RIVA of how it works.

ANSWERS FROM RVIA: SPLIT MODEL YEARS

The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) has recently published a document entitled “Q & A’s on Split Model Years for Motorhomes.” As the title infers, it relates to questions that can arise regarding the chassis manufacturer’s model year and the model year assigned to the completed motor home by the final stage motor home manufacturer. Below is the original memo from RVIA for your reference and information.

Q & A’s on Split Model Years for Motorhomes

How is the manufacturing of motorhomes different from cars?

Motorhomes are “multi-stage vehicles.” This means that, unlike cars, they generally are built in two separate stages by two different manufacturers.

How is motorhome manufacturing divided into different stages?

The first-stage manufacturer, also called the “incomplete vehicle manufacturer,” assembles the motorhome chassis. This typically includes such components as the chassis frame, engine, fuel system, transmission, drive train, suspension, wheels, brakes and vehicular electrical system. These “incomplete vehicles” are then sold by the chassis manufacturer to final stage motorhome manufacturers, also called “completed vehicle manufacturers.” The motorhome manufacturers take the chassis and build the coach body, all of the “household” systems, install the appliances, cabinets, furnishings, plumbing, lighting fixtures and a multitude of various amenities, resulting in a completed vehicle.

How do first stage manufacturers identify their vehicles?

According to federal law, at 49 CFR 565.13(a), a vehicle manufactured in more than one stage must have a Vehicle Identification Number (“VIN”) assigned to it by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. One character position in the VIN sequence identifies the model year of the incomplete vehicle. Once it is assigned, the VIN stays with the incomplete vehicle when it is sold to the motorhome manufacturer. The incomplete vehicle manufacturer may also ship the chassis with a Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (“MCO”). The MCO document provides information about each particular chassis.

How do final stage manufacturers identify their vehicles?

Final stage motorhome manufacturers continue to use the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. Motorhome manufacturers also provide MCO documents with their motorhomes when they are shipped to dealers. The model year of the completed motorhome, which is determined by the motorhome manufacturer, appears on this MCO document.

Why do some chassis have a different model year than the completed motorhome?

An incomplete vehicle chassis is manufactured before a completed motorhome is built on it. Motorhome manufacturers may buy hundreds, even thousands, of chassis each year. Because of variations in advance purchases of incomplete vehicle chassis, the flow of new product orders, market conditions and new model roll-outs, the model year of the incomplete vehicle chassis is frequently different from the model year of the completed motorhome.

What are some examples of model year differences?

A group of fifty chassis could be built at the end of a calendar year and assigned that year’s model year by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. A few weeks later, those chassis could be sold to a motorhome manufacturer. The motorhome manufacturer may use half of them to finish production of one motorhome make, assigning those motorhomes the motorhome manufacturer’s current model year on their final MCO’s. These completed motorhomes would have a model year one year greater than the model year of the chassis. The motorhome manufacturer may later use the other half of the chassis in manufacturing a new motorhome design, assigning those motorhomes the next model year. As a result, their final MCO’s would have a model year designation that is two years greater than the chassis model year. In another example, a chassis manufacturer may decide to skip a model year entirely and designate its chassis one year ahead of the then current calendar year. This could result in motorhomes having a model year once year less than the chassis model year.

Who decides what the “official” model year of the vehicle is?

The final stage motorhome manufacturer has authority to designate on the completed vehicle MCO the model year of the completed motorhome. See Federal Trade Commission Staff Opinion (March 5, 2001).

Is it permissible to have different model years for the chassis and completed motorhome?

Yes, it is permissible. The United States Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”) has directly addressed this very issue and determined in a formal staff option that it is NOT an unfair or deceptive trade practice for the completed motorhome and its chassis to have different model years. In recognition of the fact that the final stage manufacturer has the authority to designate the model year for motorhomes, the FTC has stated that the incomplete vehicle chassis manufacturer may use the phrase, “Model Year – Not Applicable” on the MCO’s for the incomplete vehicles it sends to final stage motorhome manufacturers, if it so chooses. See Federal Trade Commission Staff Opinion (March 5, 2001).

Is the motorhome manufacturer required to disclose the difference between the model year of the incomplete vehicle and the model year of the incomplete chassis?

No. However, four states (California, Maryland, Michigan, and Wisconsin) require dealers to inform purchases of multi-stage vehicles of the difference between the model year of the incomplete vehicle chassis and the model year of the final stage motorhome.

What information is used by the state DMV offices to register motorhomes?

When a consumer has a new motorhome registered for the first time, the state DMV will use both the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer and the model year and make assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer for the vehicle registration. All states should title motorhomes using the model year assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer.

What should I do if a state DMV registers a new motorhome with the chassis model year?

If a DMV employee insists on using the incomplete chassis model year, please call the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association at 703-620-6003 for assistance. Ask for the Government Affairs Department.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

Floridastorm

Orlando

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/20 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cruise America gives a 3 month warranty (used to be 1 year)on their rental units for sale. They also have an optional power train warranty and an optional appliances warranty. Does anyone know for how long and how much these two optional warranties are? For those that have purchased these warranties have you had luck using them? Do you think they were worth the price you paid? Also, does El Monte have similar warranties?

Thanks for any and all info provided.

Dave, Ocala, Florida [emoticon]

fadumpt

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/20 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4 years for the coach is just under $2,000
5 years or 100k miles for the engine, transmission and rear axle is just under $1,800

Use your 3 month warranty to its fullest though. They will ship you or provide for repairs for anything you found wrong.
So buy when you can do several trips and get as much as possible fixed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 127  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.