RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 127  
Prev
Sponsored By:
bcrunk

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bcrunk wrote:

Hello! I'm Bill, I just put down a deposit for a CA Majestic 19G. 2017 with 118k miles on the clock. Other than an 83.5 Vanagon to dry camp in years ago, this will be our first real RV. I too have read/skimmed all 115 pages of this thread - I'll have 4 to 5 weeks of wait time for the refurbish process to re-read them.
What I don't remember reading is what to expect when I pick it up? What was included? Drain hose? Water hose? Gas? Propane? Shore line? ??
Other words, what do I need to pick up for a 2 day road trip home? Thanks to all who have contributed to this and other threads, it really makes a difference!

Hello again!
Well, the wait is finally over! We rode the train to Seattle on Friday where we was picked up by Manny, an extremely friendly and knowledgeable cab driver who is contracted with CA to pick up rental and purchase customers. We got to Everett an hour and a half before our scheduled appointment time; however, Ron -our salesman- was very welcoming to us. We talked a bit in the office then headed out to our new to us 19g!
First impression was that the unit was very clean. No visible body damage, the newly sprayed gel coat looked good. Tires were new, including the spare!
Going in the side door, the screen was in perfect shape. Replaced? The inside of the door did have what appeared to be a small hole with a patch. The step covering is new. The wood flooring was in great shape, the walls clean and in good order. The seat cushions are newly recovered in the same color as the new looking curtains. The fridge was clean, a couple small rust spots on 1 rack. It was getting cold (very cold when we left in the AM- I put ice packs the freezer that were solid), Ron had opened it up earlier in the day but it was still a bit stuffy on a lightly smokey Seattle area afternoon. We turned the AC on and in no time, it cooled down inside. Wouldn't want to run the AC for long though as it is very loud! The kitchen area is in great working order. The trim and counter top are nice. Probably a new stove cover as it had no burn marks on it! The bathroom is in nice working order.

It is used, but it all looks and works good!

The upper bunk needs some cleaning, they missed some spots on the walls. It was clean under the vinyl mattress. No sign of water damage/mold/yuck.

The generator fired up easily - 380 hrs on the monitor. The AC and microwave worked on the generator. The hot water heater works great! Water gets very hot! All the monitor lights appeared to function.
The cab is used, some scratches here in and there, the cloth seats are clean but stained. I did get a set of new covers for both seats included. All the dash lights worked, the dash AC blows cold! The heat works nice as well. All vents work as they should!
The test drive was un-eventful. The rig went straight down the road, even when I braked with no hands on the wheel. Plenty of power! All fluids appeared to be full and had the right color/smell.
The gas tank was full as was the LP. A lightly used fresh water hose and black tank hose was also included. A water pressure regulator would have been a nice inclusion; however a big box discount store was just down the street.

The drive home was about 300 miles of smiles. All of it down I-5 back home to Oregon. With most of Western Oregon on fire right now, we just came straight home after spending the night in a park in Everett.

We identified a couple small things wrong when we got home,nothing that has discouraged us from buying an ex-rental, with the deal we received from CA, or with Ron. I've communicated these items to Ron and I'm sure we'll get a resolution. I'll be sure to come back with an update on this.

From my first conversation over the phone with Ron until we said thanks and drove away took just over 2 months. Overall, we are happy, very excited and looking forward to exploring.... when the fires are out.

ybconway

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just picked up a 2017/18 Forester Sunseeker 24C from Canadream. It was a bit of a mess. The MH was suppose to be delivered from Montreal to Toronto but the day we showed up it wasn't there and nobody seemed to know much about it. A couple of calls to the sales department and they gave us a 2019 model on the same 450 chassis. The layout is different on this one with two slides instead of the single and about another foot of length.
I have to say for the most part I liked the layout of the newer rig but their are some differences in the quality. The older one has better hinges and finishes on the cabinetry except they share the same cheap pantry shelving and the older has less kitchen space.
The big plus on our unit is it came with Firestone airbags which I wasn't expecting.
Now we haven't put any miles on our unit compared to the one they loaned us but ours feels much lighter and more responsive to the throttle.
So from the input here I have already order bushings to change the castor, and a new Dometic 320 toilet.
I crawled under the unit and was surprised at the amount of free space under the floor and have been searching for a floor locker.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bcrunk:

Welcome back,good to hear that you Picked up that 19G.I will put you on the list of Former Rental RV Owners..You will be #125 [image]

Thanks for coming back with a great write-up on the purchase I am sure that it will help others. I am looking forward to any updates.

I hope you can get out with all the fires up there,I know that it is really smoky down here too. Be safe and have a great time in that 19G.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ybconway:

Thanks for coming over to the Rental Thread and sharing your experience with your purchase from Canadream.I am sure it will be helpful to others that are looking to purchase a Former Rental,as I said before,it is really nice to hear from another Canadian on this thread.

I will put you on the list of Former Rental RV Owners you will be #126 [image]

Have fun with that RV and come on back and share anything else after a few trips.

Have a Great camping season.

MtnBikeMarty

phoenix, az

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

(Somewhat) Cheap Hack for Patio Light conversion to bug light:

I was in my local RV store and saw this replacement patio light with a clear and amber lens, under $15, but definitely different size/shape, which would require drilling new hole(s) and resealing.
[image]

But I took the lens off mine,
[image]

[image]
[image]
Found this $10 can of transluscent yellow spray paint at my local autoparts store, and spray painted the inside and outside of the lens. And looks like this:
[image]
No drilling, no resealing the base of the light fixture. Only thing is, it might peel off or wear off with the heat, but I'll just repaint it again since there's plenty left in the can. If my LED's ever burn out, I'd replace it with the other brand, drill new holes, and seal up, but until then, this worked fine.
[image]
Took it camping in Northern AZ last week, probably reduced 90% of the bugs coming around light at night.
Happy Trails,
MtnBikeMarty

fadumpt

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/20 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update on my 2015 28A

I added an electrical outlet in the cargo bay to plug in an air compressor.
(one of those kind of portable ones with the two little tanks)

Added another electrical outlet to the wall in the bedroom adjacent to the bathroom and mounted a TV on the wall.

Installed a 750 Watt inverter under the dinette seat with the rest of the electrical. Right now it has a surge protector popping out a hole in the dinette but I'll mount flush mounted power outlets to the dinette for that polished look.

Wired up the 4 pin trailer harness and picked up a tow dolly with surge brakes so that the Car and Kayaks can come with us.

Installed a Roadmaster RSSC to the steering (that and the alignment helped a lot). It still kind of pulls to the right so we are trying to see if the Ford dealer can find and get the issue repaired under what's left of our 3 month warranty (ends tomorrow)

Starter is acting up and the check engine light came on. Cruise America turned down both due to normal maintenance items, so we'll have to handle those.
They are shipping some door seals out to us to replace some leaking ones.

So far we are loving it and have been on several weekend trips and can actually discuss weekend boondock trips to nearby towns.

2015 Thor Majestic 28A
Ex Cruise America Rental

luv2rom

Everywhere

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/20 11:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently bought a used RV from Elmonte. Motorhome they got me was almost 60000 miles but 2019 model. Plan to take for some road trip and wonder if should change the tire given they had that many miles on it. There are still thread left on it but thought would check how any of you went by it when you got used motorhome. Any recommendation?

fadumpt

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/20 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the tire look for DOT and 4 numbers. Last two numbers are the year and first two is the week in that year. That will give you an idea of age.
Also, ask them for new tires and they might replace them. Cruise America has a minimum tire tread depth that they go by so that you get new or close to new tires.

luv2rom

Everywhere

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/20 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fadumpt wrote:

On the tire look for DOT and 4 numbers. Last two numbers are the year and first two is the week in that year. That will give you an idea of age.
Also, ask them for new tires and they might replace them. Cruise America has a minimum tire tread depth that they go by so that you get new or close to new tires.

These guys have been not so great in accommodating additional requests. I was looking for this smallest 22E version of four winds and was in waitlist for 3 weeks to find one. As a new RV owner I really didn't know how to prepare myself for this. Came across this thread just the day after I bought the RV. Lot of good information here but missed to read. Now here I am trying to make best out of what I got . I probably will just start with new tire as those hankook tires took about 60K on them. Just ordered Michelin Agilis. I wonder if any of you have experience with it?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 127  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.