RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 130  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
PDXview

Portland, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been reading this topic for quite some time. We finally bought our Thor Majestic 23A from Ron at Cruise America in Everett, Wa on September 19th.

I had the unit checked at a local shop before purchase and they found it needed an oil and transmission fluid change, new coach battery and needed new wiper blades.

All were fixed without an issue. I was happily surprised the coach battery was an AGM type.

Overall the unit was cleaner and in better shape than I was expecting. The four hour drive home was uneventful.

The first changes I will do are to add backup and side cameras and running boards. It is hard for my wife to get into the cab.

The seats are a little worn. Should I get new seats, seat covers or get the seats reupholstered?

Thank you everyone for sharing.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/20 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PDXview,

Welcome to the Forum and the Former Rental Owners Club you will #128 [image]

It is great to hear that they fixed all the things that you wanted and the addition of a AGM battery is a great upgrade.

For the backup camera,one member here put one on his Majestic,this may be of help to you.Back Up Camera

As for the seats,my covers were worn and the foam was also worn out,I replaced the cover and the foam,it is like having brand new seats.

After a lot of looking I found this place,The Seat Shop they had it all at a reasonable price and they had a very good video on how to do it. If you can't find what you want you can give them a call,the staff is very helpful.

There was a member here that put a set of running boards on but I can't seem to find that post,maybe someone will come along with that info.

Again Welcome,have fun with that RV and the camping season,please come on back and share anything or if you have any question just ask.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

fadumpt

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cruise America normally gives you seat covers for the cab. Call the sales guy and he'll get you in touch with the warranty guy. They'll mail you things you find wrong and bigger things they'll have you go to a shop and they work with them. Most things they will work with you on without question. Anything that is basic maintenance will probably not be approved. In my case, that meant the starter and spark plug/coil tune-up that came up.

2015 Thor Majestic 28A
Ex Cruise America Rental

OnlyHellYes

Out West

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're about to take the plunge and purchase a used RV from CA. We're really excited!
We're purchasing through the Mesa, AZ location.
Quick question - we will want to get it inspected prior to final purchase. I've reviewed Yelp for RV Inspectors in the area but does anyone here have a recommendation for the Phoenix/Mesa area?

Thanks!
Wayne

MtnBikeMarty

phoenix, az

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OnlyHellYes wrote:

We're about to take the plunge and purchase a used RV from CA. We're really excited!
Quick question - we will want to get it inspected prior to final purchase. I've reviewed Yelp for RV Inspectors in the area but does anyone here have a recommendation for the Phoenix/Mesa area?

Thanks!
Wayne

I used EagleRV in Mesa, nice guy, has a mobile RV repair van. He met me there and went through the RV. I have post about it in here some where, probably 10-20 page back. Just found him at rveagle.com
Marty

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OnlyHellYes

Welcome to the Forum and a future member of the Former Rental Owners Club!

I see that MtnBikeMarty has beat me to a recommendation for a inspector,great job Marty for helping other members.

I had archived RV Eagle from a previous post in case it may be needed.

When you get your Former Rental please come on back and tell us how it all went and your experience and any other tips.

Again welcome and good luck on the purchase.

bcrunk

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fadumpt wrote:

Cruise America normally gives you seat covers for the cab. Call the sales guy and he'll get you in touch with the warranty guy. They'll mail you things you find wrong and bigger things they'll have you go to a shop and they work with them. Most things they will work with you on without question. Anything that is basic maintenance will probably not be approved. In my case, that meant the starter and spark plug/coil tune-up that came up.

The seat covers I received were not new, actually has a cigarette burn in one of them. They are clean and unstained though!
I have identified a couple items since being home for a week or so. I took it to my independent shop for an estimate to fix/repair the skylight, leaking kitchen faucet, trim on the outside panel not covering the panel. The shop called CA warranty who said they will ship new parts and or pay for labor to fix/repair. The shop said they didn't even question it! I did not pay for the extended, this is just for the 30-day 3,000 miles warranty. Very happy with the 19G so far!!

cencerrita

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/20 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OnlyHellYes wrote:

Thanks!
Wayne

Hi Wayne

I used a Dave Matson many years ago and the email address was dave@rvsmartllc.com. My only comments are that he would not look underneath (crawl around as I would have and checked steeering linkages etc) He did however get my costs covered by me getting the reduced price and also items fixed.
May I also suggest you ask for the grey tank to be filled up to the valve flush position (not just tank full indicator) as we found we had a leak here later at the seal between the tank and RV body.This became noticable when boondocking and then driving so the tank sloshed around when full and liquid leaked.

Hope all goes well and you enjoy your RV

Alan

www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. Seeour web site for US travels www.cencerrita.com

contagiouz989

Austin,TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 02:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Guys.

Thank you so much for all the information on this thread.

I am traveling to Vegas to pickup a ex-rental 23a from Cruise America.

I have a question about buying a pre-inspection/ non refurbished unit.

Does anyone have any information or suggestions on that?

Difference between a refurbished unit and non refurbished unit is $3,000. SO i am making up the cost by buying the $3700 warranty.

What do you think?

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

contagiouz989 wrote:

Hello Guys.

Thank you so much for all the information on this thread.

I am traveling to Vegas to pickup a ex-rental 23a from Cruise America.

I have a question about buying a pre-inspection/ non refurbished unit.

Does anyone have any information or suggestions on that?

Difference between a refurbished unit and non refurbished unit is $3,000. SO i am making up the cost by buying the $3700 warranty.

What do you think?

I would say a bad idea UNLESS you know a lot about RV's. A refurbished unit from what I know has things replaced to "usable condition". So you may be doing little repairs like fixing hinges, repairing water pumps, etc. to get a usable unit.

The warraty does not cover wear and tear only breakage.

I would check into this more before taking the leap.

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 130  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.