RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 130  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fadumpt

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do they not do with a non refurbished unit? Assume they still have to remove their graphics. I'm guessing they wouldn't repair any issues ounce you pick it up. So you would have to fix everything yourself or pay for the warranty and have to work with them.
Seems more worthwhile to let them refurbish it and fix any issues you find. Then just handle anything that comes up later yourself and save the 3700 on the warranty. (Really, you would need both the cab and house warranty to make up for the difference of the lack of refurbishing.

Warranty wouldn't cover tires, brakes, alignment etc ... Refurbish makes sure that all of those are a certain 'near new' level or they replace them with new.

2015 Thor Majestic 28A
Ex Cruise America Rental

Bea PA

Waynesboro, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy a refurbished, they are required to see that your brakes and everything else works, extended warrenties only pay for what they list and tires, brakes, etc are maintenance items. 3700 is a lot of money.

Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

MtnBikeMarty

phoenix, az

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fadumpt wrote:

What do they not do with a non refurbished unit? Assume they still have to remove their graphics. I'm guessing they wouldn't repair any issues ounce you pick it up. So you would have to fix everything yourself or pay for the warranty and have to work with them.
Seems more worthwhile to let them refurbish it and fix any issues you find. Then just handle anything that comes up later yourself and save the 3700 on the warranty. (Really, you would need both the cab and house warranty to make up for the difference of the lack of refurbishing.

Warranty wouldn't cover tires, brakes, alignment etc ... Refurbish makes sure that all of those are a certain 'near new' level or they replace them with new.

Agreed!

MtnBikeMarty

phoenix, az

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bea PA wrote:

Buy a refurbished, they are required to see that your brakes and everything else works, extended warrenties only pay for what they list and tires, brakes, etc are maintenance items. 3700 is a lot of money.

Again, I agree!

cencerrita

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

contagiouz989 wrote:

Hello Guys.

Thank you so much for all the information on this thread.

I am traveling to Vegas to pickup a ex-rental 23a from Cruise America.

I have a question about buying a pre-inspection/ non refurbished unit.

Does anyone have any information or suggestions on that?

Difference between a refurbished unit and non refurbished unit is $3,000. SO i am making up the cost by buying the $3700 warranty.

What do you think?

Buy a refurbished unit. I would be very concerned about what state one might be in otherwise. Also the extended meachanical warranty is not worth it in my opinion. If you had cover for things like a faulty fridge etc just think of all the hassle getting it sorted when you should be out on the road enjoying yourself.If inspecting yourself you could miss things like this.

www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. Seeour web site for US travels www.cencerrita.com

eldel

Northern Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/20 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After our first trip in the 28A last month where we were almost tossed off a straight road by a combination of cross wind and an 18 wheeler I figured it was time to sort out the steering and suspension.

We added the Roadmaster front and rear sway bars and the steering stabilizer. Also replaced the worn out tie rod ends and replaced the shocks with Bilsteins. The difference is night and day. We just got back from a trip on I70 across the Vail pass. So a 5000ft change in altitude and some long sweeping curves on both sides of the pass. Was just like driving a very large car. No swaying in the breeze, no particular deviation when an 18 wheeler went past.

All in all I can thoroughly recommend the upgrade - those descents would have been nightmarish with the previous setup.

Now - on to the inevitable questions. Has anyone lowered/replaced the shower in the CA 28A? The 10" entry lip is insane and I can't figure out why they did it. I'm sure there's a reason why the floor of the shower is so high - I just can't figure out what it is. It's above the wheel and I don't think the propane tank goes that far back.

fadumpt

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have any ideas which upgrades to steering and suspension made the most difference? We already had the steering bits that were bad replaced and an alignment (desperately needed) and added the roadmaster steering shock (I'm thinking I have to adjust it though) The rear antisway seems very thick already but it looks like the front could use replacement. I'd personally love to lower the toilet in the 28a (and of course a 50 gallon grey tank)

eldel

Northern Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm guessing that the vertical stability was also influenced by the shock absorbers but the new sway bars are really meaty in comparison to the old ones. I did them all at the same time so I'm really not in a position to be positive. I really like the end result though.

Yeah - the toilet as well - but I'll probably put a false floor in there, actually one that goes from where the door currently stops all through that area. Replace the door with a concertina door. That would "fix" the toilet height but the shower is something else.

MtnBikeMarty

phoenix, az

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fadumpt wrote:

Do you have any ideas which upgrades to steering and suspension made the most difference? We already had the steering bits that were bad replaced and an alignment (desperately needed) and added the roadmaster steering shock (I'm thinking I have to adjust it though) The rear antisway seems very thick already but it looks like the front could use replacement. I'd personally love to lower the toilet in the 28a (and of course a 50 gallon grey tank)

I did my upgrades in piece meal...The new steering stablizer, seemed to eliminate/drastically reduce steering wheel dancing, the constant movement left to right to left...just to go straight down the road. It definitely brings the steering back to straight quicker when completing a turn.

My original front anti-sway bar moved about 6" left to right when you just grabbed it and tried to move it. The new one, does NOT move one millimeter. It seems to have eliminated/reduced blow by from semi trucks passing, and having to white knuckle the steering wheel.

The rear anti-sway bar definitely reduced/eliminated the coach from rocking and rolling when I pull into my driveway with it's rounded curb, and anything on the counter or table would go flying before.

The pre-story to all this is I had my 27G almost 4 years and we had a front left shock blow out on the highway, we think metal shard's damaged the two left rear tires. Towed into a shop (thank the good sam roadside assistance policy), replaced all 4 shocks (should have upgraded to bilsteins, but they had already installed Ford OEM's before I thought of upgrading and called them), and went ahead and replaced all 6 tires (two damaged and all were beyond 5 year old mfg dates), plus AZ is tough on tires with the heat. I did have them put the "youngest" good tire on as the spare.

While the rig was in the shop getting this done, I started looking on line about upgrades I could to make the drive/ride better. I did add front sumo springs, not sure how much impact they have, maybe when I have the rig heavily loaded??? I do want add rear sumo springs when I start towing a car with my rig. You can scroll back this thread and see pics and story adding those upgrades.

As for the tall shower step, my 27G is the same, the 27G is no longer offered but it's very similar to the 28A, just about 3 ft shorter but still the E450 v10 chasis. I think it's just the grey tank under it (at least for the 27G), which lowering it would reduce your grey tank volume. We use a small folding step to get in and out of ours and I added some grip tape to the step. But I'm not replacing all that and I plan to install a shower grab bar when I get a chance.

Happy trails...
MtnBikeMarty

* This post was edited 10/21/20 11:44am by MtnBikeMarty *

OnSabbatical

Home

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I just put my deposit down on a 23a from Cruise America. I'm really looking forward to getting back into camping after being out of it for five years. The salesman though, told me the camper I'm reserving is having its roof replaced, and I may have to wait an extra month or so. I could get another model, but it would cost another 2k. Thoughts?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 130  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.