RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 134  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
quasimatter

CA

New Member

Joined: 11/14/2020

View Profile



Posted: 11/18/20 01:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Booner wrote:



I think I paid around $30 for a yearly membership--which includes roadside assistance, so I'm doubly covered.



OK - I am confused now - I thought $30 a year membership does NOT cover roadside assistance. I thought you had to buy $99/year Roadside Assistance policy separately (first year sale price is $49 right now).

If $30 membership also includes roadside assistance - that is an awesome deal.

Bea PA

Waynesboro, PA, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/28/2000

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/18/20 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have to buy GS road assistance seoarately, we found that Coach Net is the best. On this small rig we are going with our Geico towing but for a bigger rig, evem though all insurers use the same pool of tow providors, Coach Net is picky.


Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

cencerrita

Florida

Full Member

Joined: 12/27/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/18/20 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bea PA wrote:

You have to buy GS road assistance seoarately, we found that Coach Net is the best. On this small rig we are going with our Geico towing but for a bigger rig, evem though all insurers use the same pool of tow providors, Coach Net is picky.


The reason we had Goodsam was the unlimited breakdown towing distance that many have a restriction on. I see Coach Net do as well but look expensive.
Hope you never need one [emoticon]


www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. Seeour web site for US travels www.cencerrita.com


Floridastorm

Orlando

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/18/20 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you purchase a motor home from CA do they take care of obtaining Registration and payment of Sales Tax? Do they also try to load up your purchase with other incidentals like Dealer Prep, etc., etc? Also, are you able to negotiate the final price before signing or is the price pretty well fixed?

quasimatter

CA

New Member

Joined: 11/14/2020

View Profile



Posted: 11/18/20 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Floridastorm wrote:

When you purchase a motor home from CA do they take care of obtaining Registration and payment of Sales Tax? Do they also try to load up your purchase with other incidentals like Dealer Prep, etc., etc? Also, are you able to negotiate the final price before signing or is the price pretty well fixed?


As others have said here - I was made to believe there is no price negotiation. Given current time - I was made to believe there is a lot of demand and also sales person I worked with I felt zero pressure, spent lot of time answering all questions, didn't even ask for my phone/email, showed me waiting list for refurbished etc. etc. which made me feel maybe price is not negotiable. But maybe on a given day it is? Who knows. Other issue was he said only few 2016s remain and 2017s will be 4K higher (but again no pressure).

They do all paperwork, smog, DMV registration etc. (Collect fees too). Just as you would buy from dealer.

No dealer add-ons or other stuff. (I guess the only add-on would be warranties - I made it clear that I did not want it at the beginning and he never mentioned it again over next few visits before I decided). He didn't even mention Awning - I had to ask him after purchase.

Hope this helps.

fadumpt

SC

New Member

Joined: 06/09/2020

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/18/20 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For us, buying from Florida and living in SC... They only have us a temp Florida tag and the paperwork that we needed. Title was mailed to us and we handled everything in our own States's DMV and tax office.


2015 Thor Majestic 28A
Ex Cruise America Rental


Floridastorm

Orlando

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/19/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

quasimatter wrote:

Floridastorm wrote:

When you purchase a motor home from CA do they take care of obtaining Registration and payment of Sales Tax? Do they also try to load up your purchase with other incidentals like Dealer Prep, etc., etc? Also, are you able to negotiate the final price before signing or is the price pretty well fixed?


As others have said here - I was made to believe there is no price negotiation. Given current time - I was made to believe there is a lot of demand and also sales person I worked with I felt zero pressure, spent lot of time answering all questions, didn't even ask for my phone/email, showed me waiting list for refurbished etc. etc. which made me feel maybe price is not negotiable. But maybe on a given day it is? Who knows. Other issue was he said only few 2016s remain and 2017s will be 4K higher (but again no pressure).

They do all paperwork, smog, DMV registration etc. (Collect fees too). Just as you would buy from dealer.

No dealer add-ons or other stuff. (I guess the only add-on would be warranties - I made it clear that I did not want it at the beginning and he never mentioned it again over next few visits before I decided). He didn't even mention Awning - I had to ask him after purchase.

Hope this helps.


[emoticon]Thanks

cencerrita

Florida

Full Member

Joined: 12/27/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/19/20 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Floridastorm wrote:

When you purchase a motor home from CA do they take care of obtaining Registration and payment of Sales Tax? Do they also try to load up your purchase with other incidentals like Dealer Prep, etc., etc? Also, are you able to negotiate the final price before signing or is the price pretty well fixed?


Buying and collecting in Mesa there was no problem with them registering in Florida where we wanted it to be. All taxes etc done in the paperwork and they even allowed us to send parcels direct to them so we were kitted out fully on collection to go off for several months.
Worth noting is that Florida allows non residents to register with a Goodsam mail address forwarding and all tax renewals easily on line and no other vehicle checks required annualy.

OnlyHellYes

Out West

New Member

Joined: 10/05/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/19/20 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,
Thanks again for the help with finding someone to inspect our unit while in Mesa. We ended up using Nick with https://rveagle.com and he was fabulous. Can't recommend him enough.
He found a list of items that needed to be reviewed with CA. They took the list and dealt with all!
We did have to stay another night in Mesa but not a huge deal.

We drove from Mesa to DFW, TX right after we purchased and have been here since. We'll post additional info coming up. We've had some head scratching issues with the CA sales person, financing and now that we're in TX we realize we have a couple leaks.

We're excited to start our RV adventuring though!!!

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/20/20 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OnlyHellYes

Thanks for coming back and telling us all how it went with your purchase and your recommendation for a company to do the inspection.

I will put you on the list of happy Former Rental Owners you will be #133 [emoticon]

Yes please come on back and tell us how everything is progressing.Have fun in your exciting RV adventure.


2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 134  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.