RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 101  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/09/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great job MtnBikeMarty,that looks very professional.Thanks for the pictures and write up.

This will help others that may have the same door in their Majestic,that is one thing about sharing on this thread.

That is one great thing about this Forum,sharing and helping others.

Thanks for coming back and letting us all know how it was done and also linking this to the other thread on doing it.[image]


2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C


TRM1

Temecula, CA

New Member

Joined: 03/19/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/21/19 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Add us to the list! This thread helped tremendously, so thanks to everyone who has participated. Like many before me, I initially dismissed a rental, but after doing a lot of reading and searching I realized that buying a rental is a much safer bet than many private party transactions.

We just purchased a well-loved and well-used 2007 28A from the second owners, who were Swiss. They purchased it in 2014 with 110k miles and owned it for 5 years, putting ~70k miles on it driving all over the US and Canada. They were very meticulous about upkeep and I have a 2" stack of service history. Before we took delivery, they sewed new curtains and even embroidered a pillow for us. They are amazing people and loved their time in the US.

I spent 2+ months searching for "the one" and cross shopped new Thors (50k on "sale"), 20-30K private party and dealer rigs, and way, way, way too many private seller Craigslist deals. I looked at over 25 RV's and drove 11. Suffice to say I did my homework. Ultimately I narrowed my search to an inexpensive first RV to be able to customize to our tastes (my wife would like to do new flooring, upholstery, staining the cabinets, etc.) while being able to buy outright. I wanted a rear walk around queen, e450 platform and service records.

Included are a new roof ($5k, paid for by insurance in 2017!), coach water pump/heater, services on all water systems, propane, fridge, generator, etc and all new tires within 15k miles. They even installed a bidet! They flew back and forth from Switzerland and stored it in socal at a relative's home when they weren't using it, and utilized a local shop to ensure every trip was without issue. Before each trip he took it to the shop and told them to fix anything it needed, so I'm sure they loved when he showed up. [emoticon]

The inside and outside are in excellent condition overall. There isn't even any weeping oil on the block, pan or transmission. Mechanically I have receipts for a new fuel pump and filter, plugs and coils, radiator, ball joints, and lots of miscellaneous fixes commensurate with a rig with 179k(!) on it. I went through the underside front to back and made a list of items it needed to use for negotiation, but it wasn't much. It has a reman transmission, but otherwise it's all original.

I have no fear of the high mileage since the V10/5 speed combo is tried and true and all the research that I've done points to this being one of the best drivetrains Ford has ever put out...at least after they got the sparkplug issues resolved. I have a Land Cruiser with 245k and a Sequoia with 170k...neither has had anything beyond preventative servicing done and I would hop in either to drive to NY right now if necessary.

My primary focus so far has been suspension. We've installed Bilstein HD shocks and steering stabilizer and have Hellwig front and rear sways coming. My wife and girls don't like the rocking motion so I'm doing my best to eliminate it. Bushings on the sways are perished, so looking forward to an immediate improvement. Just the Bilsteins made a huge difference, and if you haven't replaced your steering damper, you should. When we took the stock one off it clearly had no damping left in either direction. I drove the same bumpy road before and after and 80% of the deflection and bump steer are gone. The rest I attribute to a front sway bar that isn't even connected with the I beam at this point.

Future plans, in no particular order:

Solar
LVP flooring and wife's touches throughout
New mattress (anyone tried a ZINUS? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BW7H5ZW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1)
Fantastic fans (or a knockoff)
Maybe an awning, although I have an EZ-UP
TPMS/New stems/tires for peace of mind
Possibly a tune once I drive it fully loaded up a few mountain passes
Trying to find a solution for being 6'5" in a shower made for someone under 5'. I literally cannot stand up straight
New window glazing (have the sample kit, just need to order and install new stuff)
Tint all windows


Thanks for reading. I'll be spending all my free time lurking. [emoticon]


Here's a link to my google drive if you'd like to see photos. https://photos.app.goo.gl/TavENQhCMqFqmKHC8

EDIT: Guess I'm too noob to post links. You'll need to copy and paste.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/23/19 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TRM1
Welcome to the Forum and the Former Rental Owners Club. I will add you to the list of Happy Owners,you will be #106 [image]

It looks like you really did your home work on this and got the deal you wanted,congratulations. It's great that this thread and the many members that contributed helped you on your decision,that's a good thing!

Thanks for the really great write up on your new to you rig the additions you have made so far sound great! The addition of the suspension components,as you know,really makes a huge difference.

From the pictures it looks like it was really cared for,very nice indeed,the future plans sound very solid.

Please come back and let us know how it all turns out.The awning is a real plus and a lot easier than the storage and assembly and take down of a EZ-UP,I Know...[emoticon]

An easy way to post pictures here is to use This Link
It will tell you how it is done,it is pretty simple. Or to make a clickable link Try This

I can sympathize with you on the on the shower problem being a bit over 6'5" myself,my shower has a dome in it so I can almost stand upright. As I recall that model has one but it has a step up shower pan, mine is kind of sunken.

Enjoy it and have fun if you can come back and keep us other owners updated.

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/26/19 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A sad goodbye......

I sold the Majestic 19G today. I loved the unit. I have to say better built than 90% of the other units on the road. EVEN after being used as a rental it was in better shape then most of the newer ones that are hardly used.

Bought it to replace my truck and camper and it was amazing. VERY comfortable and easy to drive.

Biggest issue for selling had nothing to do with the unit but how I wanted to use it. I wanted to use it for shooting pictures from and it was just too wide for where I wanted to go. The roads that I drive on and do U turns on and pull off to the shoulder on are not wide enough for the Majestic. Those mirrors are SOOO wide. I was always folding the mirrors in on back roads when I was shooting.

I did not want to sell it but last year I only had it out for two trips close to home. I think I only drove it 40 kilometers all last year. It was in to good of shape to let it sit in the driveway and not be used.

I listed it last year and had over 12,000 views of the on-line ads. Several dozen people looked at it and finally a couple flew in today and bought it. Hated to see it go as it was a great unit. Would buy another one tomorrow if my needs changed for how I use an RV.

As for the size 19' was amazing to drive and parking was a piece of cake. I had a couple people that test drove it who never backed up an RV before and it blew them away to back it up so easily. It fit in all the spots I wanted to camp with space left over.

So I am now down to the last White Turtle. Not as many luxuries but a lot narrower and easier to use for what I do.

This is my last Turtle


2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/27/19 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Photomike
It is sad to hear that you sold your Majestic 19G,but on the other hand we now have a new Former Rental Owner out there and it looks like you have another cool project that will suit your needs even better.

With all the hits you got on your adds it would seem that the interest is high on that model and for someone to fly in to get it says a lot.

I want to thank you for your many insightful posts on this thread and the many pictures that you posted,I am sure that you helped others here. I have bookmarked them so I can use them later if needed for others,that is if you don't see them and answer first [emoticon]

I am sure that you will not leave the Forum but maybe focus on other sub forums with your new project.

Good luck on that White Turtle III,it looks like it will be fun and very useful for your endeavors.

Happy Camping.

SkiMore

West

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2013

View Profile



Posted: 03/27/19 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Photomike wrote:

A sad goodbye......

I sold the Majestic 19G today. I loved the unit. I have to say better built than 90% of the other units on the road. EVEN after being used as a rental it was in better shape then most of the newer ones that are hardly used.

Bought it to replace my truck and camper and it was amazing. VERY comfortable and easy to drive.

Biggest issue for selling had nothing to do with the unit but how I wanted to use it. I wanted to use it for shooting pictures from and it was just too wide for where I wanted to go. The roads that I drive on and do U turns on and pull off to the shoulder on are not wide enough for the Majestic. Those mirrors are SOOO wide. I was always folding the mirrors in on back roads when I was shooting.

I did not want to sell it but last year I only had it out for two trips close to home. I think I only drove it 40 kilometers all last year. It was in to good of shape to let it sit in the driveway and not be used.

I listed it last year and had over 12,000 views of the on-line ads. Several dozen people looked at it and finally a couple flew in today and bought it. Hated to see it go as it was a great unit. Would buy another one tomorrow if my needs changed for how I use an RV.

As for the size 19' was amazing to drive and parking was a piece of cake. I had a couple people that test drove it who never backed up an RV before and it blew them away to back it up so easily. It fit in all the spots I wanted to camp with space left over.

So I am now down to the last White Turtle. Not as many luxuries but a lot narrower and easier to use for what I do.

This is my last Turtle


I wish the RV companies would get a hint about the desirability of a 19' class C. Have you seen what Cruise America is asking for used 19Gs nowadays?

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/27/19 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SkiMore wrote:

I wish the RV companies would get a hint about the desirability of a 19' class C. Have you seen what Cruise America is asking for used 19Gs nowadays?


Most of the people that looked at mine were weighing a Class B and my 19'. The one comment that kept coming up was someone needs to make a 19 or 20' C to compete with the B's. I would never have gone with a B if I camped as the C with the bed over the cab opened up so much more space. But I drive more than I camp so I really do not need the extra space.

tibbitts

Norman, OK

Senior Member

Joined: 12/15/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/03/19 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Photomike wrote:

SkiMore wrote:

I wish the RV companies would get a hint about the desirability of a 19' class C. Have you seen what Cruise America is asking for used 19Gs nowadays?


Most of the people that looked at mine were weighing a Class B and my 19'. The one comment that kept coming up was someone needs to make a 19 or 20' C to compete with the B's. I would never have gone with a B if I camped as the C with the bed over the cab opened up so much more space. But I drive more than I camp so I really do not need the extra space.

I agree except that several companies make 19ft Cs... they just won't sell them to the public. I don't understand why.

I understand the point about width, and AFAIK the current crop are all 7.5ft wide. I'm not sure there couldn't be 7ft ones. Whether there is any chassis other than the E-series that would offer the necessary SRW GVWR I'm not sure.

StevePlay

Spokane

New Member

Joined: 03/20/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/06/19 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just bought a 2014 Thor Majestic 28A from Cruise America...it is in excellent condition. Miles were at 110,000. I bought the 5 yr/1000000 mile powertrain warranty and feel pretty good about it.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/07/19 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StevePlay.

First of all welcome to the Forum,also to the Former Rental Owners Club you will be #107 on the list of happy owners.[image]

It is great that your feel good about your purchase and the Warranty I really hope you don't need to use it.

If you haven't read all of this thread,I know it is long.If there are any questions about anything or any mods please ask,I have book marked a lot of things and there are a lot of members here that have the same RV.

Again welcome and I hope that all goes well in this camping season,please come back if you can and share your experiences with that new rig of yours.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 101  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS