RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 163  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
adlereins

Tri-Cities of Apple Valley, Hesperia, Victorville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/15 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kirbymurphy:
I can only relate to my own experience & research. The Ford V-10 is widely used because of it's dependability even with high mileage. On a Ford chassis built from 2005 on, the front end was reworked with much better suspension components resulting in better handling. It is the reason I went with the Ford vs the Chevy. That and the weight ratios for a given coach gave a little more wiggle room for towing and cc weight. The main drawback (for me) is the doghouse intrudes more into the cabin seating than does the Chevy. On the drivers side it is not too bad but you may find the passenger side a bit tight in legroom depending, of course, on you or your traveling companions height, weight, etc, etc.
Mechanically, I think Ford, after 2005, is the better choice. Of course this is my opinion only. I encourage you to drive both and sit in the passenger seat in both models for comparison. Good luck in your hunt!
Take Care,
Allen B.

samven1

Hedgesville, WV usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/15 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kirbymurphy,

I am sure that either one will serve you well. Todays engines are light years ahead of the older models. I went with the Chevy because I wanted a smaller RV and the leg room and quieter ride were important to me. I think generally I get about 10% better mileage than the Ford but my engine is 10% smaller and the Chevy has a 6 speed tranny vs the Ford 5 speed. On the other hand the new Ford has an 8000 lb tow vs the Chevy 5000 lb and when crawling under both the Ford has a beefier frame. I originally went in to buy the Ford because of the frame and tow rating but after the test drive in both I went with the Chevy. It really comes down to personal preference and how sensitive you are. If my plan had been to drive 400 or 500 miles to a resort and camp for a few weeks and come home I would have gone Ford but my plan was to drive the hell out of it across the country hitting as many National Parks as I could find. In the last 6 mos I have hit 15 parks and 11,500 miles so the driver seat noise and ride comfort became paramount.
Just an aside my avg mileage for the whole 11,500 has been 10.8 mpg calculated not the meter reading. SD and KS killed the avg with 30 mph cross winds the avg there was only 9.1 but through New England and the Rockies it was a solid 11.3 and most of the central US was in the 12's.

Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

CatchinBluegill

United States

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/15 11:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been following this thread and read the whole thing end to end when I discovered it :-)

I'm going to look at a class A at El Monte this weekend. I'd kind of prefer a Workhorse chassis, I think. I've recently test-driven a unit based in the W22 and sat in but didn't drive one based on a Ford. Both were comfortable to sit in, the seat in the Ford was maybe a bit more comfortable than the one in the W22, but both were way better than any class C, at least for me.

FWIW, my mechanic recommends the Workhorse and avoiding the V-10; he said it's not unusual for the spark plugs to break when removed, even on the newer ones, and that the 8.1 liter just runs and runs and runs. Plus, it's got the Allison transmission, and you sure can't go wrong with one of those.

If I buy it, I'll be sure to post back here with my experiences. Thanks to everyone for all the great info in this thread!

Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/15 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know you trust your mechanic, but the spark plug problem is overblown IMO. And fixable. Get the MH that fits you.

Currently RV-less but not done yet.

CatchinBluegill

United States

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/15 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That may be the case, Snowman, but that doesn't make you feel much better if you're the one sitting there with half a spark plug in your hand, and the other half is still in the head :-)

The plug change interval is 90,000, which is what the MH at El Monte has on it, so one of my Big Questions when looking through the service records will be if/when the plugs have been changed. If they haven't been, I'll ask for that as a condition of sale.

jonthebru

Maui

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/15 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any rental RV for sale by the large companies would be built after Ford fixed the sparkplug problem. If I remember correctly engines built after 2005, RVs after 2006, have a redesigned head. There was a definite issue but it was was fixed.

GalinAZ

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/15 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've put a down on a 2011 (2010 chassis) Cruise America Class C 23A RV. It's the Ford E-350 V8 SuperDuty. We plan to flat haul a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport behind it and use a Brakemaster system. Any comments or suggestions?

* This post was edited 11/08/15 10:09am by an administrator/moderator *

GalinAZ
2011 Thor Majestic Class C 23A
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport toad

BoxinTheCompass

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/15 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a mention here...

Was at Lowes here in Port Orange FL and in pulls 28A Majestic with tow dolly and Toad on back. Got out and talked to older French Canadian couple

They loved their Majestic. They been 3 times from Montreal to FL to California and back to Montreal with their Majestic class C. This is their 4th trip! No problems at all with their RV

Comforting to know!

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/15 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jonthebru wrote:

Any rental RV for sale by the large companies would be built after Ford fixed the sparkplug problem. If I remember correctly engines built after 2005, RVs after 2006, have a redesigned head. There was a definite issue but it was was fixed.

Is that the "PI" or "PE" head that is stamped into the head somewhere? "PI" or "PE" as in performance enhanced?

* This post was edited 11/07/15 11:37pm by path1 *

CatchinBluegill

United States

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/15 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, what my regular mechanic (at one of the top independent garages in my city) said about the V-10 is that even on the later ones, the spark plugs have a tendency to break in half when removed, so I should either:

A) Steer clear of the V-10, or
B) If it's anywhere near 90,000 miles, ask the rental company to replace the spark plugs before I buy it, so that the person sitting there with half the plug in his hand isn't me. This is what I call the "new plug problem." The old one was just blowing the plug straight out of the head.

The unit I'm looking at had its plugs replaced at 66,000, currently has 90,000. Going to ask them to put in a new set, anyway. It'd take me a long time to take the current plugs up to 90,000 miles, I think, but you never know. I'd almost certainly never have to replace a new set. Even my nine year old car only has 65,000 miles on it [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 163  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.