|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Show us your tool-spare tire access

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 01:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, searched for a thread posted few years back, several pages with photos but I couldnt find so thought a more current thread in order to post to the TCU thread. On a lot of truck / camper combinations accessing the spare tire hoist is next to impossible if at all or just plain difficult. Some folks just raise camper to access. But a lot of folks have come up with clever solutions in the past, modifying existing tool, creating a new one, moving spare to front of truck etc. This subject comes up now & then-

Id like to see this thread gather as many of these solutions possible, photos being the best way to share-also truck and camper combination that nessitated reinventing the 'tool'.

I'll start. 01 Ford f250 long bed, camper 9'9" Elkhorn. I could not access the crank opening on bumper, cant even see it, the camper overhang is so close to bumper. I rotated the spare tire hoist assembly to point at right wheel well instead of bumper. I can insert factory crank handle to lower spare.
[image]

So show us your tool...

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm glad you reminded me of this Mark - I seriously need to check this since I've stopped carrying the jacks with me so I am completely reliant on being able to get the tyre out without jacking up the camper.

I'm going outside to look now.

OK - I've had a look - My spare seems to be mounted further back and higher up so I can't use your trick.

I reckon though that I could make an extended crank handle so it is long enough to allow me to swing it 360 degrees without hitting the bottom of the camper.

Steve.

* This post was edited 05/10/12 02:10pm by sabconsulting *

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/12 11:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ya Steve looks like yours as its open to the rear bumper that would be the simplest. If your handle anything like the 07 ranger I had for a while the rods were a series that interconnected- Find an extra link for it, plug it in when camper on your done.

Mark

JumboJet

Tontitown ARKANSAW

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/12 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/12 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spare tire handle extension.

Happy camping, Dave.

2004 Northern Lite 10-2000RR, 1999 F250

luv2skyski.com

Northern Lite Owners

Truck Camper Enthusiasts Map

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

Pete_k

Stantonville Tn

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/12 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a part that I welded up and can use a 1/2" Ratchet with mine. Fits right next to the bumper. But works.
Cut the tube part that you stick into the workings of the tire winch. Cut it off and welded a socket on that. Thus its small and easy use. But I do have 10" or more room from the back of the camper and the back bumper.
Pete

2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans
1995 Kenworth T600 Areocab
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2008 Lund 1825 Pro Guide Tiller, With a Evinrude 90 HP E-Tec
Live near Pickwick Dam and the Tn river

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/12 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd have to remove my camper. But, that's not really a problem because there's no way my truck jack will lift both the camper and truck. I also have G rated tires to minimize the chance of having a flat. I don't think anyone here has said they've ever had a flat with a G rated tire, but I could be wrong.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/12 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've just (for the first time) had a go at lowering the spare tyre.

This is useful - I've learned that the crank has a 3/8" male end, which then slots into a 3/8" square hole 3/4 the way down the wheel wrench handle. Unfortunately the length of this wheel wrench handle means it would not be possible to swing it with the camper on due to the lack of clearance.

But all I need is a 3/8" to 3/8" adapter then I can use my socket set to crank it down. So I've just ordered a couple of cheap 3/8" drive 14mm sockets on eBay. I can weld them together back to back giving me one 3/8" square female end to slide onto the crank, and the other to push a socket set into - should solve the problem - all for < $5.

Steve.

kawa900stx

Chico, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/12 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been wanting to do this mod for a while now as my access is blocked with the camper on as well. Hopefully I won't have to use the spare since I have the 19.5's. So since I had the truck on blocks doing other things which I'll post on later, I went ahead and relocated it just like AnEv942 has done.

Here if the bracket relocated. Used the existing locking tabs and cross member holes, only had to drill two holes on the hoist. I used SS hardware.
[image]

I used this hole to run the hoist handle. Directly behind this hole is the tube.
[image]
I may end up using the idea above about using the double extensions to use a ratchet instead of the tire iron. It’s close to the wheel flares and I don't have long arms so I am always getting hit by the iron.
[image]
Now I just need to get a higher capacity jack!

* This post was last edited 05/30/12 05:03pm by kawa900stx *   View edit history

2002 Ford F350 SD PSD SRW Lariat CC LB 4X4
Vision's w/Hankook DH01 245/70R19.5, Firestone Airbags

2006 Host Rainer DS

Philcapt

Troy, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/12 03:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made a frame out of 2x4 runners and 4x4 blocks when you lower the camper it will center it on the truck and keep it from moving side ways this raises the camper an inch and a half that will allow me to use the tool to get my spare tire down and it gives me more room over my cab marker lights.

Mister Blue a 2009 Ford F450 4x4 Kings Ranch dually with off road package
2002 Lance 1025 camper
2009 Jayflight bungaow 40FER
1991 Slyvan 21' Off Shore fishing boat

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Show us your tool-spare tire access
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS