RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Puncture precautions - what do you do?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Puncture precautions - what do you do?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/12 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a question for those of you who regularly travel way off the black-top (and therefore away from roadside assistance services) with their campers:

What do you take with you in case of punctures / tyre damage?

E.g. 2nd spare wheel, tyre sealant (carried, or already installed in tyres), inner tubes, a combination of these or something else?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

narcodog

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/12 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put the spare on

Ajones42

South Texas Puckerbrush

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/12 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sabconsulting wrote:

Here is a question for those of you who regularly travel way off the black-top (and therefore away from roadside assistance services) with their campers:

Steve.

In the Brush Country of South Texas, it is 10ply tires (load range E) and 2 spares.

Fulltiming in a 2010 Puma 30RKSS
1993 Dolphin 32D -> Destroyed by hail April 2013
Gate Guards in the South Texas Pucker Brush
My Old RV
Oil Field Gate Guard Forum

terryrey

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/12 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve:

Here is my take, and we regularly travel off road and even on road never use road side assistance:

My tires are 75/285/R16 load range E Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor (3750 lbs maximum weight rating at 80PSI, 32.8" diameter). These tires are manufactured with kevlar and steel belts, with a special rubber compound in the side wall to be cut resistant. I hope that I have superior cut and puncture resistance already built into the tires I use. However, in case of a puncture, I carry two large cans of tire sealant/inflator, two tire plug/patch kits and a portable high pressure/high volume 12V air compressor. To lift the truck to change a tire (I carry only one spare), I have the stock jack that came with the truck (GMC 2500HD, D/A, 4X4, CC, short bed), as well as a 6 ton hydraulic jack with four 12"X8"X3/4" pieces of plywood and two sets of Lynx levelers for "building" a jack mount base.

I have never had either an off-road or on-road puncture with the camper to date and hope I never will, but try to be prepared, if necessary. I have had flat tires on other 4X4s, once two tires at the same time way back beyond nowhere...

Terry

DiscoChicken

Lawrenceville, GA

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/12 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just the stock spare and jack for me. I explore a few forest service roads here in the southeast. I worry about leftover tent stakes in the ground at campsites more than anything else. Knock on wood, I've never had a problem.

Adventurer/Ford

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/12 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two mounted spares, 12,000 lb bottle jack, battery-powered impact wrench. (plus a pretty full set of tools, etc)

Cal

SkipJ

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/12 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where do you carry all that stuff? Besides the factory jack and spare tire.
SkipJ

1992 Airstream B-190 van
1989 Airstream 25' Excella Trailer
Outfitter Apex 9.5 Truck Camper Ford F-350 Diesel 4x4

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/12 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry two spare tires. One for the trailer and one for the truck. It's always worked for me.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

joe b.

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/12 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry the spare, a 12 volt air compressor most of the time and a tire plugging kit. We like to drag our Jeep out to Colorado and run the mountain trails in the summer. It is very easy to puncture a tire on the sharp rocks so I prefer to just plug a tire until I get back to town and can have it properly patched from the inside of the tire.

I was running Good Year Silent armor tires, on the rear of our truck campere, last summer on our trip to Alaska. One of them, with about 3,000 miles on it had a side wall separation in Idaho and had to be replaced by a tire shop with a different brand. Not a Good Year dealer in the small town, where the problem happened. The other Silent Armor 10 ply, got a rock puncture when we were west of Dawson City Yukon, headed for Tok Alaska.

I carry a couple of kits, one like this one and another that uses a squeeze type "gun" to insert the plugs. Started using the plugs when I spent a lot of time on motorcycles and when bush flying in Alaska. I have never had a plugged tire fail me.

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-Tire-Plug-Kit/dp/B000ET525K

Here is the gun type one. It works slick once I figured out how to use it. Had to resort to reading the directions. LOL

http://www.gemplers.com/product/150996/T........79562&cpncode=26-138213215-2&CID=25SEBCM

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

SkipJ

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/12 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It lists the gun as being for "garden tractors, and golf carts. Will it work on truck tires?
SkipJ

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Puncture precautions - what do you do?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS