RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying a South Carolina Boat Trailer, no title no plate??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Buying a South Carolina Boat Trailer, no title no plate??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
LoveTwoCamp

Arcola, Pa

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/12 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am thinking of buying a boat and trailer from South Carolina. However, the seller states that SC does not require a title, or plates, on boat trailers, so he has neither.

It is too late today to contact Pennsylvania DMV, so I thought I might try for some insight from the RV group.

I have never heard of trailer without a title; is this normal in SC?

If this correct, how does one get a title for Pennsylvania?

Any other words of wisdom?

--The boat does have SC numbers on the bow.

END: After a lot of phone calls, I cannot get the trailer titled in Pa without a proper title or SC registration card stating that the trailer is a "Non Titled Trailer". But he can't get that card without a title. I told him, No Title, NO DEAL! Have to look for another boat.

* This post was last edited 05/16/12 02:06pm by LoveTwoCamp *   View edit history

og
2000 Holiday Rambler AlumiLite 28'
2004 Silverado 2500HD, 4X4, Crew Cab, Duramax/Allison
Reese Dual Cam
Two 6 Volt Batteries with Control Switch
Prodigy Controller

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/12 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try and find the SC DMVon-line and see if you can find their requirements for titling a boat and trailer. If nothing else the boat probably needs to be registered and have a set of numbers and letters on it's bow.

the_happiestcamper

Mount Pleasant, SC

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/12 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In SC, a boat has to be registered before it goes on the water - you can tow one that is not registered. There is no title or plate for trailer.

If you wanted to buy a boat in SC, I would have gladly sold you mine [emoticon]

Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/12 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would tend to assume that a trailer with out a title is stolen. Even if SC doesn't require a title the trailer should have had one to begin with.
But, I live in VA where everything with wheels requires a title and tags.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/12 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This isn't an uncommon situation- many States don't require title/registration for trailers under a certain size, and others don't even title truckcampers.
BUT
When you bring a trailer into a State that requires titling, that's when the problems start.
In my State, what you'd need would be the "manufacturers certificate of origin" which comes with every commercially produced trailers. I'm betting that the same is true in Pennsylvania. If the seller is the original owner, he/she might still have that.
If so, that and a bill of sale should be enough to get you on the road in Pennsylvania.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

W4RLR

Sewanee, Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/12 01:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Florida doesn't issue titles for utility trailers. Tennessee accepted my trailer registration from Florida and issued a Tennessee title and plate. No problems, no hassles. It depends on the state's requirements.

Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/12 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best bet is contact the Motor Vehicle Department in PA, explain the situation, and they should be able to tell you exactly what you need to do to get the trailer licensed in PA with no title from the former owner.
Here in Montana, I could remove all identification from the trailer, state that it is "Home-Built", and the state will issue a VIN to me, I stamp that on the trailer, have it inspected, and the State will issue a title for a 2012 "HMDE" trailer.
Maybe PA has the same or a similar program for home-built trailers.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/12 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

The best bet is contact the Motor Vehicle Department in PA, explain the situation, and they should be able to tell you exactly what you need to do to get the trailer licensed in PA with no title from the former owner.
Here in Montana, I could remove all identification from the trailer, state that it is "Home-Built" , and the state will issue a VIN to me, I stamp that on the trailer, have it inspected, and the State will issue a title for a 2012 "HMDE" trailer.
Maybe PA has the same or a similar program for home-built trailers.

Um...the "chop shop" approach, eh? Bet Montana has about a "zero recovery rate" on stolen trailers...

Note to self:
Double up security/insurance on trailer if headed to Montana!

To the O.P.:

Many States require records of the provenance of the parts used to make a home-built trailer, and will inspect them carefully before issuing a Title. I recommend extreme caution before venturing down that slippery slope.

As others have said: Check your State's rules!

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/12 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Um...the "chop shop" approach, eh? Bet Montana has about a "zero recovery rate" on stolen trailers"

I wouldn't know, I rarely hear anything about stolen trailers of any kind around here. Apparently, there is no money to be made by stealing them.
Actually, my horse trailer is a 2002 HMDE trailer, according to the title and registration. It is quite obviously a commercially built 2-horse trailer, circa 1970.

johntank

North MS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/12 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might ask if he has the MSO for the trailer in his paper work, if he does it should not be a problem to get it registered and titled in Pa.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Buying a South Carolina Boat Trailer, no title no plate??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.